PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official (not rumors) 2013 NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a bit surprised to see it become more and not less, but then when you think about it that really isn't much to pay your starter either.

They decided to make him their starter for less than 1/2 the money they were going to pay Carson Palmer. Do we really expect him to be much worse than Palmer? In the meantime they saved a lot of money and potentially improved their starting QB situation.

As for M.Flynn, he looked like he at least belonged in the 2 games he started. When you throw for 433 and 518 with a total of 9 TD's in two games, people tend to think you may deserve some more reps. On top of that he certainly didn't appear to be frazzled in his rookie start on the road vs a veteran coach in Belichick under the lights of MNF. That has to count for something to in the minds of scouts and GM's.

All that said, I still don't expect him to succeed all that much because the team around him totally sucks, but he should be able to do at least what Palmer did for less than 1/2 the money.
It depends one what the Raiders long term strategy for the position is. The Raiders are a long way from being a competitive outfit. Flynn should give them some nice play and warm the hot seat for whoever is going to be their LT #1. They have every incentive to continue their level of mediocrity in the hope of landing a Mariota or Manziel.

the raiders are a horribly horribly run franchise...it's amazing

Jenkins is so slow that he gets a delay of game penalty when he runs a comeback route.

I think he can be great in the redzone..but very slow

The irony of your post being, of course, that the same first sentence you tried to use to marginalize me apply 100% to you.

That is incorrect my friend. You said your opinion comes from what you saw or did not see him do with his limited time in preseason or where ever else you may have watched him. Where my analysis is not really based on anything I saw from him but rather where the HC has placed him on the depth chart and him having moved on from another player based on his presance and then seeing that player start for another team. My anlysis relies on what qualified pro personell think rather than what you do.

That is incorrect my friend.

No, it's not.

You said your opinion comes from what you saw or did not see him do with his limited time in preseason or where ever else you may have watched him where as my analysis is not really based on anything I saw from him but rather where the HC has placed him on the depth chart and him having moved on from another player based on his presance and then seeing that player start for another team. My anlysis relies on what qualified pro personell think rather than what you do.

My analysis wasn't just from me watching. It was from reporters/analysts and pro people watching. The stories were around all summer, in case you missed them. I don't know why you feel the need to only post the sunshine and unicorns version, but that just leads to a biased opinion, and that's a damned silly way to try figuring out the guy's worth, regardless of what (if anything) they get for him in the end

No, it's not.

My analysis wasn't just from me watching. It was from reporters/analysts and pro people watching. The stories were around all summer, in case you missed them. I don't know why you feel the need to only post the sunshine and unicorns version, but that just leads to a biased opinion, and that's a damned silly way to try figuring out the guy's worth, regardless of what (if anything) they get for him in the end

whatever man my optimistic view that BBs trust in Mallett means he could be worth more than where he was originally drafted is no more sunshine and unicorns than your opinion formulated by your eye, reporters rumors and hearsay means his value in a trade is now worse is the doomsday and brimfire version.

But hey your entitled to that opinion. I thought Hoyer might be worth something in a trade too based on the same perception of trust from BB (not a 2nd but something). So I was wrong then.

Who needs outside speed when we have Molasses Mike Jenkins?

Yeah, because everyone but the Patriots was falling all over themselves to sign DHB. The Pats are not done filling their WR corps. Wait until after the draft and then you can whine, ***** and moan about their moves, or lack thereof. Jenkins got NO guaranteed money....probably not expected to be a top 3 WR for the Pats this year.

[/QUOTE]He may be traded, but it isn't going to be for anything more than a 4th round pick.[/QUOTE]

It makes me laugh when fellow posters write such things, as if they are facts. IF he is traded by the Pats, you will be proven to be wrong (?again) about the return. Will you come back and admit it when it happens? If I am wrong about my opinion, I certainly will.

Who needs outside speed when we have Molasses Mike Jenkins?

Not a huge fan of the Jenkins signing (although he signed for peanuts and can be cut before the season for no negative impact), but why would the Pats want the bust who is Darrius Heyward Bay? I hear DHB dropped his pen three times while trying to sign his signature on his contract with the Colts.

The guy has hands of stones, can't run a route for the life of him, and has zero football smarts. Here is Scout Inc's review on the guy:

Heyward-Bey is a good-sized receiver with legitimate straight-line speed but questionable route-running skills and feel for the game. He has never reached the level of play that the Raiders envisioned when they drafted him with the seventh pick of the 2009 draft. He runs fast without the ball in his hands but has never shown the ability to play the game with the same speed and isn't the game-breaker that you'd expect for someone with his dimensions. He is a bit of a strider who struggles when he needs to chop it down and drop his hips to get in and out of his breaks. He catches the ball well when it's thrown within his frame but will struggle when having to adjust or extend to make the catch.

NFL Free-Agent Tracker - ESPN

I think it is funny that people would want a deep threat who needs the ball to hit him in the bread basket to catch. Because most QBs have pin point accuracy when they throw the ball 40 yards down the field.

I am praying that Larry Fitz agrees to a restructured contract and agrees to be traded to the Pats. He'll be 30 to start the season. Maybe the Cards would consider trading him on draft day?

It makes me laugh when fellow posters write such things, as if they are facts. IF he is traded by the Pats, you will be proven to be wrong (?again) about the return. Will you come back and admit it when it happens? If I am wrong about my opinion, I certainly will.[/QUOTE]

Because it's absurd. This forum thought Brian Hoyer was worth a first rounder or something equally ridiculous and he was unceremoniously cut.

I think it is funny that people would want a deep threat who needs the ball to hit him in the bread basket to catch. Because most QBs have pin point accuracy when they throw the ball 40 yards down the field.

Issues with catching the ball can be coached. You cannot coach speed.

Other than his hands everything I've read about DHB has made him sound outstanding. Gives full effort, good blocking, good team mate.

Would he have been the solution to our problems? Probably not - but I would have liked to have seen him brought in. $3m for 1 year is too much for a flier on a guy, though. So I'm ok with him going to the Colts.

Because it's absurd. This forum thought Brian Hoyer was worth a first rounder or something equally ridiculous and he was unceremoniously cut.

There is rarely unanimous opinion on this board. There certainly wasn't anything of the sort with regards to Hoyer.

It makes me laugh when fellow posters write such things, as if they are facts. IF he is traded by the Pats, you will be proven to be wrong (?again) about the return. Will you come back and admit it when it happens? If I am wrong about my opinion, I certainly will.

Because it's absurd. This forum thought Brian Hoyer was worth a first rounder or something equally ridiculous and he was unceremoniously cut.[/QUOTE]

The board also thought Cassell should have been unceremoniously cut and he wound up netting us a 2. Obviously after getting on the field and proving it but the point remains that board was equally wrong in thinking a previous back up was worth nothing.

This is a QB league and Mallett had some issues but had some pedigree too coming out of college and has really done nothing to hurt his stock other than a few amature opinions of his preseason and TC play so it is not abusrd to think he might have slightly upped his stock. Anyone who thinks a one is even more optimistic than me which is hard to do.

Looks like Denario Alexander is the only WR binky left in FA.

Looks like Denario Alexander is the only WR binky left in FA.

He's an RFA, though, and San Diego could match. He wouldn't cost a draft pick, like Manny Sanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes