PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

**Official New England @ Denver Broncos Post-Game Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was definitely a catch. They screwed the Gronk over when they ruled it down. If they weren’t sure, they should have ruled it a score so that it could be automatically reviewed and overturned if need be.
The refs are consistently hostile to Gronkowski, usually through OPI calls that are not called against others, as well as DPI non-calls against his defenders. I do not know why this is. Maybe they are trying to equalize the playing field? But Julio Jones doesn't evoke that kind of animus.

The refs are consistently hostile to Gronkowski, usually through OPI calls that are not called against others, as well as DPI non-calls against his defenders. I do not know why this is. Maybe they are trying to equalize the playing field? But Julio Jones doesn't evoke that kind of animus.
The OPI calls against him have backed off considerably.

That makes complete sense, now that you mention it. But what happens if the ball is not in the possession of a player from the receiving team - just on the ground whether "fumbled" or not - and the receiving team covers it? Wouldn't that be a touchdown?

I thought (and could be wrong) that the referee crew was "part of the field" until the whistle blows the play dead. If that is the case, wouldn't the ball going to the ref in bounds before officially downing it, be the same as dropping it on the ground in the field of play for either team to recover?

And if that's all true...does either team have to ask nicely to receive the ball back? Or is it unsportsmanlike conduct if a player doesn't?

The possibilities are endless...

I thought (and could be wrong) that the referee crew was "part of the field" until the whistle blows the play dead. If that is the case, wouldn't the ball going to the ref in bounds before officially downing it, be the same as dropping it on the ground in the field of play for either team to recover?

And if that's all true...does either team have to ask nicely to receive the ball back? Or is it unsportsmanlike conduct if a player doesn't?

The possibilities are endless...

That footballzebra's link is run by former officials I think? So they say that Dion Lewis pretty much gave himself up. And then Walt didn't want any dispute so told Dion to take a knee. I guess Walt should have refused the ball first, but maybe he just got caught off guard?

That makes complete sense, now that you mention it. But what happens if the ball is not in the possession of a player from the receiving team - just on the ground whether "fumbled" or not - and the receiving team covers it? Wouldn't that be a touchdown?

If a kickoff, yes. Once a kickoff travels 10 yards downfield from the spot of the kickoff, it's a free ball and the kicking team can recover (but not advance). There's nothing special about an onsides kick other than that it's kicked in such a way as to increase the chances of kicking team recovery.

If a punt, no, not a touchdown unless the receiving team fumbles it or touches it.

That footballzebra's link is run by former officials I think? So they say that Dion Lewis pretty much gave himself up. And then Walt didn't want any dispute so told Dion to take a knee. I guess Walt should have refused the ball first, but maybe he just got caught off guard?

I don't know how much I buy FZ on this. I think the problem is that Coleman reflexively caught the ball. Once he did that, he was in a bit of a pickle and (I bet) yelling to Lewis to come over and get it while practically handing it to him was the best way to go.

The right (IMHO) thing would have been for Coleman to get out of the way of the ball and let the ball and chips fall where they may.

David Harris had three tackles but I really do not recall him being in the game.

The Steelers have struggled against the likes of Cleveland, Chicago, Jacksonville, Detroit, and Indy.

I don't care how many "superstar players" they have. Until someone can convince me that Mike Tomlin can outcoach Bill Belichick (literally impossible) I can't take the Pittsburgh Little Sisters seriously.

Patriots struggled against Tamp, Houston, and the Jets.

Good teams find a way to win.

If you're ranking the teams in the AFC right now, I've got New England #1, Pittsburgh #2. If you've got anything different, we'll just disagree. Jacksonville isn't ready for prime time, nor is Tennessee. Buffalo is sinking, KC stuttering (and Pittsburgh always beats them anyway), the Raiders are floundering.

Would you be surprised to see Pitt as the 1 or 2 seed and in the AFCCG?

All this media talk of the Pats winning because other teams are so stupid is driving me ****ing bananas. Pats have been pretty dimwitted at times this season as well - remember the back to back roughing or running into the kicker? Or how bout roughing the passer in TB game that gave TB another chance at a win? Media jackasses seem to forget all this stuff because the Patriots, in most cases, have the talent and coaching to overcome lots of dumb mistakes...
But you heard nothing about Chris Harper's fumbled punt in 15 that contributed BIGLY to Denver's win...

Patriots struggled against Tamp, Houston, and the Jets.

Good teams find a way to win.

If you're ranking the teams in the AFC right now, I've got New England #1, Pittsburgh #2. If you've got anything different, we'll just disagree. Jacksonville isn't ready for prime time, nor is Tennessee. Buffalo is sinking, KC stuttering (and Pittsburgh always beats them anyway), the Raiders are floundering.

Would you be surprised to see Pitt as the 1 or 2 seed and in the AFCCG?

I don't disagree that they are the 2nd best team in the AFC. They just aren't a threat to NE.

El padre's poise in the midst of that tumult: priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes