PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The special teams edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
even an idiot like Collingsworth figured out the Gostowski was kicking the ball "short" on kickoffs

Maybe it's my imagination, but Collinsworth seems significantly improved to me since Tony Romo arrived on the scene.

The networks specifically instruct the broadcast teams to cater to the most casual/uninformed viewers. It's strategic: they know that hardcore football fans will watch no matter what, so the winning move is to focus on the casual channel surfer by making the game "fun" and "accessible." John Madden was the master of this, with his telestrator breakdowns of tailgating food. Chris Collinsworth does NOT have that kind of gregarious appeal. Early in his career he was was an insightful analyst, but trying to dumb it down and shtick it up didn't work for him, and he became seriously annoying.

Then along comes rookie Romo, naively and enthusiastically talking real football...and people love it. I think that's emboldening Collinsworth to inch back in the analytical direction, too (e.g. highlighting the way the Pats' game plan took Denver's CBs out of the equation). May we see more of it.

@luuked @NE-VT @long distance

That's one of the things I'd like to look at in the re watch thread.

I suspect that was part of the game plan. Something along the lines of "Force Brock to throw it multiple times and he'll make mistakes" type of thing. "Mistakes" includes 3 and outs and only kicking field goals along with interceptions etc....

I think this is pretty much it. I wrote something to that effect in the pregame thread when I tried to put my expectations down before the game started:

I am expecting a game where the two keys on D are stopping the run and not giving up too many deep balls to Osweiler. Because the deep throw is the only thing he really is competent at.

Which means I think we will once again give him the short and intermediate and make him proof he can play an error free game continously targeting those areas. This will predictably lead to another meltdown for people that live to whine about the defense because his stats will look average-to-good depending on how much garbage time he will have to pad.

On offense I hope for a nice mix of screens, seam throws, runs and the occasional play action deep dagger to Cooks, Dorsett or Gronk.

Unless we turn the ball over at least twice more than the Broncos I dont think the game will ever be close even if the score wont necessarily reflect it for the first 2-3 quarters. And if we play from ahead I doubt that Bradys stats will look particularly impressive.

It all feels like one of those grind out games to me. Cant wait to see how wrong I am and BB/McD/Matty P zigging into a totally different direction.

The Broncos are dead in the water if their run game is not working. That was the number 1 priority and it worked for the most part. Then you take away the deep throws with a safety shading and Gilmore on DT and all that Osweiler has left are dump offs, seam passes to TEs and then whatever they can do with Sanders and his shifty-ness.

I didnt mind Butler giving up a couple of catches to Sanders. The key thing was to keep his YAC low which to be honest didnt work that well.. especially in the first half.

That being said, I think the most egregious Sanders catch was when Jonathan Jones was lined up on him early in the game. The Butler ones were either great routes or Sanders making plays with Butler close to him.

@luuked @NE-VT @long distance

That's one of the things I'd like to look at in the re watch thread.

I suspect that was part of the game plan. Something along the lines of "Force Brock to throw it multiple times and he'll make mistakes" type of thing. "Mistakes" includes 3 and outs and only kicking field goals along with interceptions etc....

Yes good point, lets check that out. Nice one @PatsDeb !

Tony, I just mentioned you in a post about the re-watch as well. Funny how that happens. I also want to watch Flowers and our TE #2 usage.

Thought it was great to get Hoyer some snaps, get him back into Patriots football after he's been subjected to other NFL coaching. also liked seeing Bolden get a couple of touches, same idea, it's always good to get the subs some work in actual game conditions to have them ready when needed.

OT:

NFL Matchup on ESPN on Twitter

“Watched all #Steelers 3rd Down Defense snaps this year- best they've had in a long time. -Allow 53% completion to QBs, 1 TD / 3 INT, ***8 SACKS*** -Not great when blitzing, allow 50% conv compared to just under 40% when not blitzing -74% ZONE coverage - Cov 3 / Cov 2.”

Competition has influenced the stats. They have faced a slew of terrible QB's and offenses. Progress will be evaluated when they see Brady in 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes