PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL 2021 NFL Draft - Day 3 Discussion Thread

I still think Chase would be better off on the inside. Maybe (hopefully) thats what they are thinking....
It’s a very hard, near impossible, transition from DE to inside LB. Bruschi was a rare exception.
DE is about going up against an ot one on one most of the time, beating a block, and either running past or reading off a block. ILB is about reading and diagnosing plays. It is extremely instinctual and this instincts take time to develop if they ever do.
And that’s just in the running game. In the passing game it’s almost like a different sport.

It’s a very hard, near impossible, transition from DE to inside LB. Bruschi was a rare exception.
DE is about going up against an ot one on one most of the time, beating a block, and either running past or reading off a block. ILB is about reading and diagnosing plays. It is extremely instinctual and this instincts take time to develop if they ever do.
And that’s just in the running game. In the passing game it’s almost like a different sport.
He has the size and speed to do it but if he doesn't he get won't play

He has the size and speed to do it but if he doesn't he get won't play
He belongs at DE IMO. His strength is rushing the passer. I don’t see a skill set that tells me he could be an ILB plus it’s probably the equivalent difficulty as moving from C to TE.

Wish we had snagged Deonte Brown. Why’d he slip? He dominated the SEC. is it just weight?

Don't really view them as the MLB type but I get your point.
We don’t really have a MLB. we mix and match 4 De/olb/ilb hybrids into a varied scheme that has all of them doing many different things. I guess a better way to put it is we have players that are ilb/olb hybrids and players that are olb/de hybrids (and a few like HT KVN Jennings Uche who are at some level both) and we mix and match them across a bunch of different roles.

The fact that you can get Khalil Herbert at the bottom of 6th tells you all you need to know about drafting RBs early..

He belongs at DE IMO. His strength is rushing the passer. I don’t see a skill set that tells me he could be an ILB plus it’s probably the equivalent difficulty as moving from C to TE.
Overmatched vs OTs in the run. If he improves, great but imo not a fit for a hand on the ground full time now.

We don’t really have a MLB. we mix and match 4 De/olb/ilb hybrids into a varied scheme that has all of them doing many different things. I guess a better way to put it is we have players that are ilb/olb hybrids and players that are olb/de hybrids (and a few like HT KVN Jennings Uche who are at some level both) and we mix and match them across a bunch of different roles.
We've had Bru, Mayo, Bentley and Roberts in the role.

Denver having a nice draft.

Looks like we have to wait another few years before the Patriots draft another
wide receiver. I expect they might sign a couple of lowly ranked UDFAs.

After General Sherman makes the Jets' d-line look like Savannah in 1864 you'll never think of that dumb ad again!

View attachment 32550
Savannah was smart enough to surrender the city to Sherman, that is why it remains one of the few cities in the South that wasn’t burnt to the ground during the War of Northern Agression

Back to back long snappers? In the 6th round?? Man, if your a position player hopping to get drafted, that has to be a kick in the balls.

He doesn’t lack confidence, that’s for sure. I will keep an open mind but those coverage numbers are ugly. 58% catch rate into his coverage at more than 17 yards per catch, including 4 touchdowns.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back