PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2008 NFL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see them using 2 third round picks, they're moving around in the 2nd imo.

Anyone else think the Patriots will package some of their picks to move up? I still want two of Cason, Groves, and Avril. They could trade up to the top of the second round, or to the bottom of the first, and it wouldn't hurt them all that much, since they currently have three third round picks, and the 62nd pick in the second round.

Incidentally, if they don't trade up, the Patriots could make a killing in the third round, since a number of players who would be good fits for the team are projected as still being available for those picks.

Similar to what I was going to post. Freedom now to target specific players. And IMO, we'll be huge players in the heart of the draft coming up...

Anyone else think the Patriots will package some of their picks to move up? I still want two of Cason, Groves, and Avril. They could trade up to the top of the second round, or to the bottom of the first, and it wouldn't hurt them all that much, since they currently have three third round picks, and the 62nd pick in the second round.

Incidentally, if they don't trade up, the Patriots could make a killing in the third round, since a number of players who would be good fits for the team are projected as still being available for those picks.

so how much do you think it would take to move from 62 to say 40?

I like this pick for the Patriots here.

I'm just a little bit concerned about Tenn. players and their outlaw reputation. In fact, Mayo isn't an angel himself. He's been in trouble before. Normally I'd say you get a couple chances to screw up, but at Tenn. it's unusual if you haven' assaulted someone or carried a gun illegally or sold drugs, etc. I'm sure Belichick did his due diligence and believes he can be a solid citizen like the rest of the team.

Yeah, lets hope he is not like that gangster we got last year in the first. We know how that worked out. :D

This is one thing I no longer worry about with the Patriots.

We needed to get young at LB...why hate this pick?

1.) It's too high a pick for Mayo

2.) How many Tennessee linebackers are excelling in the NFL?

3.) Clady was available. He's now in Denver. That's a bad thing.

As I said, I'm torn. I trust Belioli, but I think this pick sucks. My guess is that Belioli's superior knowledge makes this the right move, and that history will prove that. It doesn't mean I have to like it right now.

I'm just a little bit concerned about Tenn. players and their outlaw reputation. In fact, Mayo isn't an angel himself. He's been in trouble before. Normally I'd say you get a couple chances to screw up, but at Tenn. it's unusual if you haven' assaulted someone or carried a gun illegally or sold drugs, etc. I'm sure Belichick did his due diligence and believes he can be a solid citizen like the rest of the team.
Stanley Morgan was a Tennessee player. He did OK with the Patriots.

Mayock just said something I've been thinking. That the Bill he has been talking to for the last few weeks is more relaxed and energized and focused than he's ever seen him. And as a former player, he knows him. Said he thinks losing the Superbowl freed him up somehow to re-tool.

Funny - Mayock just predicted Albert to the Bears because they need OL, but the took Williams who he predicted in his mock (although with Albert still on his board they may have made a mistake...). He did say that Albert's HC told him that had he not been injured in TC prior to last season he would have been Groh's starting LT...but they didn't want to make the transition at the start of the season without having been able to make it in camp.

They have three 3rd rounders. No way they don't move into or around in the 2nd.

Considering that probably 3 (max 4) draftees will even make the team, I'd say that something like that might work.

I'm sure Belichick did his due diligence and believes he can be a solid citizen like the rest of the team.

Actually, BB just drafted his favorite college uniform. I'm serious. :D

As I said, I'm torn. I trust Belioli, but I think this pick sucks. My guess is that Belioli's superior knowledge makes this the right move, and that history will prove that. It doesn't mean I have to like it right now.

I can understand feeling that it was high. But if he's the best LB available and they were at 10, why not take him? It's not as if they were going to move back again.

Just because other players aren't excelling doesn't mean he can't.

I just moved back to the Boston area after living in Denver for three years. I DESPISE the Broncos with every fiber of my being, and from being there, I seriously think they needed D-Line, not O-line. I enjoy their failure. I want to roll around in it. They will continue to get worse and I love it.

I can't believe anyone wanted Clady. This OL had one terrible game all year, there was no sense in paying top 10 money for a player we did not need. We NEEDED speed, youth in the front 7. We need a LB who can cover and play the run. Mayo is a run tackling machine and is a player in coverage. Watch high lights, you'll see :]

Oh, god. Get a life.

I think you are right here........NO ONE HAD MAYO going this high....at best I saw him at 29 for San Fran........at average he was mid second round.....on NFL.com I believe he did not even show up in the list of top 10 LB draftees.......but......like you say......in BB we trust......I would have liked to see us go with Clady....or a top CB......

Sorry Sebman. You hate me now for abandoning Groves and going Mayo.

You don't have to say you're sorry, and I don't hate anyone who jumped on the Mayo band wagon over the past few days. It seemed like he wasn't all that popular before that point, but that doesn't really matter. I've gotta give Briz some credit for being being on Mayo for awhile now, but Briz also thought Mayo was going to be a second round pick, which is quite different then selecting him at 10th overall, and DRC was Briz's number 1 guy. I personally thought Mayo had a lot of potential, and some of his issues could be coachable, but I still wasn't sure about his fit in NE's defense. Now that he's on the team, I'm thinking he'll be groomed to take over at WILB.

When I said I still wanted two of Cason, Groves, and Avril, I forgot to add in Flowers, who I also really like. Chevis Jackson should be a good CB for NE later in the draft (third round), too.

KC just traded with Detroit. Mayock says they will take Albert. They got Dorsey and Albert, now all they need is a QB and a HC.

Guess the new server has a limited capacity, just like the old one...:mad:

Geez. Can they ever get a databse here that can handle the freaking traffic???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes