PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2008 NFL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
De-lurking here...

What we just saw today was the Pats cut a decade off the average age of the defense. The major complaints about the defense was they were old and slow. Guess what, they aren't old and slow any more. AD is going to be moved to the outside linebacker which actually solves the pass rush problem, (Which FTW has been complaining about) Mayo's intellegence places him as the immediate subsitute for Bruschi. His intellegence surprised even Belichek. The secondary will be slightly worse untill the veteran cuts before June 1st where you know the Pats will make a signing. Are the Pats a perfect team? Not really. Are they good? Hell yes.

Another note Dom Capers. There has been comments about Capers putting in a system where the CBs do a lot more blitzing and the Pats went out and got SMALL BUT FAST CBs. I like this draft, the only thing is I wish the Pats could have gotten their hands on Caleb Campbell as a project to replace Harrison.

Umm, they now have 16 DEFENSIVE BACKS on the roster!!! and none of them are even as good as Assante.

How do we know they're not as good as Asante? Asante wasn't as good as Asante when we drafted him. Remember? He was a soft, undersized zone corner with 4.55 speed. These kids we drafted at corner both test well; they both can run and jump and they've been good players at big programs. Who says they won't be good? We have to wait and see.

This was a good draft in that we got players to replace the weak part of our roster -- the Eric Alexanders, the Antwain Spanns, Willie Andrewses, etc. We needed at least a few linebackers and we drafted one high-potential kid for the inside and one for the outside, plus we took a flier on Bo Ruud.

Even Slater makes sense as a need pick. If he can be a returner, that's a huge bonus. They had to split time last year between Hobbs, Maroney, Welker and Andrews, just because those guys all (w the exception of Andrews) had to play too much as position players to hold down the return jobs permanently. If Slater can hold down the KR job and be a good gunner, he's a really useful player.

The only guy who doesn't make sense in terms of immediate need is O'Connell, and even he looks like a really interesting pick. If we didn't draft a 2009 this year, we'd need to sign one in free agency next year. So why not pick one up now?

I can't believe how bad they drafted this (and last) year!

I hope Mayo can cut it, because he is the only guy in the draft that will see the field! I can't believe the ridiculous reaches in rounds 1,2, and don't get me started with round 3. Then they give away their 7th rounder to move up 7 spots in the 5th round to select a guy that will not make the team!!!!

I thought the reach in the 2nd round was to return kicks? and now we waste a pick to trade up 7 spots to let Jackie Slater's kid return kicks for us?

HORRIBLE!!!!

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think that I am.

Seriously, you need to do some research. draft.com ... go look at how many 5th rounders are still in the league 4-5 years later. Not many. Once in a while you luck out.

The Pats took a ST monster in the 5th round instead of gambling on a huge project player or taking a guy that has almost no chance of supplanting the 3-4 better players he would be behind...

...so thus gets cut... and maybe lands on our PS.... or worse, ends up being snatched up by some other team with a crappy roster who has the extra spots to gamble on a longshot... hence we just pi$$ed away a 5th round pick.

I think Slater is a ST starter who relieves a starter or two from having to risk injury playing on ST plays... and gives us an UPGRADE at those ST positions.

I just don't see the logic in your complaint.

Mayo will be an upgrade over Seau, Crable is going to start above who? Vrabel or Thomas?

This defense is much worse than the one that Eli marched down the feild on.

Ruud will not make the team.

We lost Asante... That's pretty much it. How can this year's defense be much worse than last year's? You think Gay was that good? Colvin? He never recovered from that injury.

We've added enough CBs to fill those spots sufficiently (even if none turn out to be as good as Asante) and we have improved greatly at LB, especially if Seau returns... something that is being talked about.

This years defense will NOT be "much worse" than last year's.

Be rational.

Seriously, you need to do some research. draft.com ... go look at how many 5th rounders are still in the league 4-5 years later. Not many. Once in a while you luck out.

The Pats took a ST monster in the 5th round instead of gambling on a huge project player or taking a guy that has almost no chance of supplanting the 3-4 better players he would be behind...

...so thus gets cut... and maybe lands on our PS.... or worse, ends up being snatched up by some other team with a crappy roster who has the extra spots to gamble on a longshot... hence we just pi$$ed away a 5th round pick.

I think Slater is a ST starter who relieves a starter or two from having to risk injury playing on ST plays... and gives us an UPGRADE at those ST positions.

I just don't see the logic in your complaint.

Slater could have been had with the 7th rd pick that they gave away to move up for him.

IN the 5th they should have taken...

Kellen Davis, TE Michigan ST. unless you think that Spath is the answer, money says either Thomas or Watson gets hurt again this year.

I could have lived with Dennis Dixon, Marcus Howard, Corey Lynch, Spencer Larson

The very best thing about the draft is watching all the draftniks here go ballistic when their favs aren't selected by the Pats when they were available in Round X. Hissey fits galore. Bid girl panties atwist. The NE Patriots, what an incompetent football organization.

Last edited:
Slater could have been had with the 7th rd pick that they gave away to move up for him.

Kellen Davis, TE Michigan ST. unless you think that Spath is the answer, money says either Thomas or Watson gets hurt again this year.

I could have lived with Dennis Dixon, Marcus Howard, Corey Lynch, Spencer Larson

We also signed Pollard. We would have to have 2 TEs get hurt before this would be a HUGE issue. The same argument could be made at RB, Center, ILB, or virtually any position really.

You say they could have gotten Slater in the 7th round, but Bioli traded up to get him. So, either you are wrong, or Bill and Scott are dumb A_S_S_E_S !!!

If they traded up, they at least suspected that somebody else before them was thinking about drafting him.

While you may be very knowledgable (I'm giving you the benifit of the doubt here), you'll forgive me if I put my trust in Bioli instead.

Don't know if this has already been mentioned in another post-draft thread but here goes:

From Peter King's MMQB:

". . . .6. I think, if you gave him sodium pentathol, Chris Long would tell you he wishes he had gone to the Patriots, even if it would have cost him a lot of money to do so."

I thought it was hilarious.

The very best thing about the draft is watching all the draftniks here go ballistic when their favs aren't selected by the Pats when they were available in Round X. Hissey fits galore. Bid girl panties atwist. The NE Patriots, what an incompetent football organization.

Greatest... post... ever.

Equating the success of the Pats coaching team with draft success is not perfect logic.

Are the Patriots an incompetent organization?
No.

Have they made drafting mistakes?
Absolutely.

Hell, passing on Tom Brady six times sure could have been a mistake, and that is often touted as their greatest draft success.

Just look at last year's draft. One player on the active roster at the end of the season. Zero starts from drafted players. That draft yielded very little from the drafted players, whereas the trades were excellent. And in all the previous drafts, the Pats have more misses than hits, as is the nature of the draft. Few, however, would objectively argue that they have done a better job than, say, Indy or Pittsburgh.

I think you can maintain that New England is a very well run organization and still criticize selections like Wheatley, Wilhite, and Slater by pointing to players like Terrell Thomas, Charles Godfrey, or Kellen Davis.

I was generally pleased with this draft. But a lot of the rosy glow was because of the #7 pick. If you erase Mayo and an extra third, and we were looking at Wheatley as our top pick, there might be a lot more panty twisting.

Equating the success of the Pats coaching team with draft success is not perfect logic.

Are the Patriots an incompetent organization?
No.

Have they made drafting mistakes?
Absolutely.

Hell, passing on Tom Brady six times sure could have been a mistake, and that is often touted as their greatest draft success.

Just look at last year's draft. One player on the active roster at the end of the season. Zero starts from drafted players. That draft yielded very little from the drafted players, whereas the trades were excellent. And in all the previous drafts, the Pats have more misses than hits, as is the nature of the draft. Few, however, would objectively argue that they have done a better job than, say, Indy or Pittsburgh.

I think you can maintain that New England is a very well run organization and still criticize selections like Wheatley, Wilhite, and Slater by pointing to players like Terrell Thomas, Charles Godfrey, or Kellen Davis.

I was generally pleased with this draft. But a lot of the rosy glow was because of the #7 pick. If you erase Mayo and an extra third, and we were looking at Wheatley as our top pick, there might be a lot more panty twisting.[/QUOTE]

I love this type of crappy logic. Yes, if you erase half the good things about a scenario it wont be as good. Duh, you could apply that crap to everything. Pretty sure the pats set themselves up to have the seventh pick in the draft last year, and if the stakes had been different, this whole draft would have played out a diferent way.

Well if you take way the fact that the pats got a future second rounder, a great lb in Mayo ( from a pick they set up the year before), a great future lb in Crable as well as what many are calling a sleeper steal in Wheatley this draft would be terrible!! Stop acting like a knucklehead.

The pats are not perfect, but I think they have earned a bit of credability. I will be laughing when all the draft geeks are claiming they loved all these picks at this time next year.

Last edited:
hi patsfans,

can u give me link /overview where ALL draftday trades are listed ?

thx in advance

The Jets were counting on that 7th rounder.

At least we hurt Mangini with the trade up.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye