PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2008 NFL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that they drafted no tight ends.
There were several opportunities to grab one, and they passed.
Awfully deep at LB, but no depth at TE right now.

i'm surprised too. I hope that pats plugged all holes.

I can't believe how bad they drafted this (and last) year!

I hope Mayo can cut it, because he is the only guy in the draft that will see the field! I can't believe the ridiculous reaches in rounds 1,2, and don't get me started with round 3. Then they give away their 7th rounder to move up 7 spots in the 5th round to select a guy that will not make the team!!!!

I thought the reach in the 2nd round was to return kicks? and now we waste a pick to trade up 7 spots to let Jackie Slater's kid return kicks for us?

HORRIBLE!!!!

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think that I am.

last year and this year are not good years for Pats to draft. BB realized it because he talked about it before the draft started. He doesn't know if any new faces will be able to play at NFL level or not.

They also think about 09 draft too. I can't wait to see how pats is doing this season.

last year and this year are not good years for Pats to draft. BB realized it because he talked about it before the draft started. He doesn't know if any new faces will be able to play at NFL level or not.

They also think about 09 draft too. I can't wait to see how pats is doing this season.

At least last year we came out of the draft with two picks #1 and #3 for next year. This year we only get San Diego's 2nd round pick which, at best will be ten spots earlier than the pick we traded away.

Hopefully this year's 1st rounder won't be a bust.

At least last year we came out of the draft with two picks #1 and #3 for next year. This year we only get San Diego's 2nd round pick which, at best will be ten spots earlier than the pick we traded away.

Hopefully this year's 1st rounder won't be a bust.

2 things went great for pats last year were Welker and Moss. They were the best deals.

i can't wait to see any good deal come out of this season.

Last edited:
You know who's having a bad weekend?

TJ Slaughter.

It's ok.. he has that modeling-acting career to fall back on....

I can't believe how bad they drafted this (and last) year!

I hope Mayo can cut it, because he is the only guy in the draft that will see the field! I can't believe the ridiculous reaches in rounds 1,2, and don't get me started with round 3. Then they give away their 7th rounder to move up 7 spots in the 5th round to select a guy that will not make the team!!!!

I thought the reach in the 2nd round was to return kicks? and now we waste a pick to trade up 7 spots to let Jackie Slater's kid return kicks for us?

HORRIBLE!!!!

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think that I am.

If you told me before the draft we would get faster, a whole lot faster in our areas of most need - LB & CB - I would ask where to sign my approval.

We did just that....I think Mayo, Wheatley & Crable will be impact NFL players from the start. I have no doubt in my mind. They all have much needed speed, which cannot be taught and all three are really smart football players so they can indeed be taught our system and have the brains to absorb it. Learning how to make the giant leap from college to the Pros is the hardest thing these guys will ever do. I think, to a man, these three will succeed.

On top of that, we found a QB of the future, at least a #2 that should be able to pick up our system and hold the fort should the franchise require a few games to heal up - very much needed as we are in our last year of Cassell and a maybe even luck out with a ST demon in Slater.

Perhaps Ruud and even Wilhite will pan out as well.....

However, for you to feel this was the worst draft ever simply amazes me. I guess will shall see in a year or three.

What I simpley don't understand is you have a top heavy team, with maybe slots for four to five rookies, and what do they do? They trade down and then trade up in the 5th round! Take those picks you wasted in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds and package them to move up, where you could find someone who could contribute. OR at the very least draft a punter so we don't have to watch anymore 30 yd punts. Or draft a kicker that you have faith in, to kick the 48 yarder that would have tied the SB.

The Pats lost that game, because they could not get to the QB, AND THAT IS STILL THE CASE TODAY!!!!!

All your 1st round pick has done is replace Junior Seau, who was far from being the problem! The Pats are a worst team today, than the one that lost to Eli Manning a few months ago.

If you told me before the draft we would get faster, a whole lot faster in our areas of most need - LB & CB - I would ask where to sign my approval.

We did just that....I think Mayo, Wheatley & Crable will be impact NFL players from the start. I have no doubt in my mind. They all have much needed speed, which cannot be taught and all three are really smart football players so they can indeed be taught our system and have the brains to absorb it. Learning how to make the giant leap from college to the Pros is the hardest thing these guys will ever do. I think, to a man, these three will succeed.

On top of that, we found a QB of the future, at least a #2 that should be able to pick up our system and hold the fort should the franchise require a few games to heal up - very much needed as we are in our last year of Cassell and a maybe even luck out with a ST demon in Slater.

Perhaps Ruud and even Wilhite will pan out as well.....

However, for you to feel this was the worst draft ever simply amazes me. I guess will shall see in a year or three.

Mayo will be an upgrade over Seau, Crable is going to start above who? Vrabel or Thomas?

This defense is much worse than the one that Eli marched down the feild on.

Ruud will not make the team.

Mayo will be an upgrade over Seau, Crable is going to start above who? Vrabel or Thomas?

This defense is much worse than the one that Eli marched down the feild on.

Ruud will not make the team.

crable will probably be a situational pass rusher this year. Drafting Mayo allows Thomas to stay at one of the OLB spots, which he looked much more comfortable at. One of either Wheatley or Wilhite will probably make a play for the Nickelback position (I'm assuming Ellis Hobbs and Fernando Bryant are our starting corners.)

Plus, with Crable and Mayo, we can rotate all our LB'ers more (woods and crable rotating in as rushers, Mayo, Bruschi, Seau, and Hobson rotating inside) keeping them all fresh later into the season.

FreeTedWilliams, you need to head down to River Street in sweet home Savannah for an attitude adjustment. After a few "rounds", the Pats draft won't bother you!

:eat3:

crable will probably be a situational pass rusher this year. Drafting Mayo allows Thomas to stay at one of the OLB spots, which he looked much more comfortable at. One of either Wheatley or Wilhite will probably make a play for the Nickelback position (I'm assuming Ellis Hobbs and Fernando Bryant are our starting corners.)

Plus, with Crable and Mayo, we can rotate all our LB'ers more (woods and crable rotating in as rushers, Mayo, Bruschi, Seau, and Hobson rotating inside) keeping them all fresh later into the season.

No way they keep that many LBs, and you failed to mention Vrabel and the wasted pick of Rudd, bascially this defense has 13 subpar corners, and 8 LBs right now.

Are you going to bench Rodney or Sanders? for your great #1 pick last year?

And no pass rusher!!!!!

No Asante, no Colvin, this defesne is WORSE than last years.

FreeTedWilliams, you need to head down to River Street in sweet home Savannah for an attitude adjustment. After a few "rounds", the Pats draft won't bother you!

:eat3:

I can't even do that!!!! (I'm "on-call")

No way they keep that many LBs, and you failed to mention Vrabel and the wasted pick of Rudd, bascially this defense has 13 subpar corners, and 8 LBs right now.

Are you going to bench Rodney or Sanders? for your great #1 pick last year?

And no pass rusher!!!!!

No Asante, no Colvin, this defesne is WORSE than last years.

Vrabel is firmly entrenched as a starter, and I see no real need for that to change - I believe that vrabel and AD as bookends will be able to apply pressure, particularly if seymour is finally injury-free (the fact that the pats took no DLs in this draft is a good sign for that)

I might be in the minority, but I honestly think that neither Hobbs nor Bryant are sub-par - i think Hobbs is a solid starter for most teams, and Bryant is a former first round pick who has had a good career, and also our new secondary coach (Capers) is familiar with him - I'm pretty sure he picked him originally when he was coaching hte jags

Vrabel is firmly entrenched as a starter, and I see no real need for that to change - I believe that vrabel and AD as bookends will be able to apply pressure, particularly if seymour is finally injury-free (the fact that the pats took no DLs in this draft is a good sign for that)

I might be in the minority, but I honestly think that neither Hobbs nor Bryant are sub-par - i think Hobbs is a solid starter for most teams, and Bryant is a former first round pick who has had a good career, and also our new secondary coach (Capers) is familiar with him - I'm pretty sure he picked him originally when he was coaching hte jags

If Hobbs and Bryant are that good, why did they draft 3 more CBs? Why not try and inmprove someplace else? I see no reason behind any of these picks outside of Mayo.

If Hobbs and Bryant are that good, why did they draft 3 more CBs? Why not try and inmprove someplace else? I see no reason behind any of these picks outside of Mayo.

Umm, you need more than 2 cornerbacks....which is why we picked two more.

I said they were solid, but I didn't mean to imply that they couldn't be improved upon - from what I've read about Terrence Wheatley (check his nfl.com player profile) He sounds like he could be a great pick - he's a little on the short side but he's in the top 5 in every one of the combine measurables, he doesn't shy away from contact and actually enjoys run support, doubles as a kick returner, and probably my favorite part about him - he's a leader - NFL.com compares him to Troy Vincent in the way that he took the younger players on his team aside to help with their technique, etc.

Wilhite is basically an extremely gifted athlete who isn't all there yet mentally, from what I can tell - if he puts everything together he could be ridiculously good.

the reason we picked crable is basically because he's a physical freak - he's 6'5 240 with the frame to put on another 10 pounds - I love Vrabes but he's getting older - Crable will eventually be his replacement i think.

The slater pick is purely for special teams - I see him kind of in a role similar to that of Kelly Washington last year.

Ruud may not make the team, but he apparently watches game film like a maniac, works incredibly hard, and could be a valuable special teamer

I'm not saying that BB/Pioli got this draft perfect, but I think all their picks make sense when you look at them.

Umm, you need more than 2 cornerbacks....which is why we picked two more.

Umm, they now have 16 DEFENSIVE BACKS on the roster!!! and none of them are even as good as Assante.

What I simpley don't understand is you have a top heavy team, with maybe slots for four to five rookies, and what do they do? They trade down and then trade up in the 5th round! Take those picks you wasted in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds and package them to move up, where you could find someone who could contribute. OR at the very least draft a punter so we don't have to watch anymore 30 yd punts. Or draft a kicker that you have faith in, to kick the 48 yarder that would have tied the SB.

The Pats lost that game, because they could not get to the QB, AND THAT IS STILL THE CASE TODAY!!!!!

All your 1st round pick has done is replace Junior Seau, who was far from being the problem! The Pats are a worst team today, than the one that lost to Eli Manning a few months ago.

Fred, you're on a roll. I happen to love this draft and last year's draft as well.

Last year we got Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Brandon Meriweather via draft picks, plus SF's 1st round 2008 pick, which saved our butts this weekend. There's also a chance that Mike Richardson may be a contributor.

This year we got a future star LB in Mayo who will change the face of this defense. Then we got a couple of tremendous looking athletes in Wheatley and Crable. These are all in positions of highest need. Then we got another pretty good looking corner, a special teams whiz who we're all going to love, and took an educated chance on a QB of the future. I see 6 of these guys making the team.

All that plus we got San Diego's 2nd rounder in 2009.

There's definitely a bright side. The issue really is that the draft isn't a spectator sport, and we get all frustrated when they don't pick the guys that the draftniks like, or trade down or up at the craziest times. But our guys know what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes