PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2008 NFL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kansas City is having a solid 1st round. 1st Dorsey falls to them and now they get a solid OL in Albert at a reasonable spot.

2.) How many Tennessee linebackers are excelling in the NFL?

Al Wilson was one of the best linebackers in the league before he got hurt and was a multiple time All-Pro. Kevin Burnett might not be a superstar but he's a pretty good rotational ILB in Dallas' 3-4. Raynoch Thompson was good but had injury problems.

Tennessee has actually produced a pretty good number of linebackers recently.

I think you are right here........NO ONE HAD MAYO going this high....at best I saw him at 29 for San Fran........at average he was mid second round.....on NFL.com I believe he did not even show up in the list of top 10 LB draftees.......but......like you say......in BB we trust......I would have liked to see us go with Clady....or a top CB......

FWIW, Mike Mayock, who actually watches film on these guys, had him as the 9th best player in the draft.

You don't have to say you're sorry, and I don't hate anyone who jumped on the Mayo band wagon over the past few days. It seemed like he wasn't all that popular before that point, but that doesn't really matter. I've gotta give Briz some credit for being being on Mayo for awhile now, but Briz also thought Mayo was going to be a second round pick, which is quite different then selecting him at 10th overall, and DRC was Briz's number 1 guy. I personally thought Mayo had a lot of potential, and some of his issues could be coachable, but I still wasn't sure about his fit in NE's defense. Now that he's on the team, I'm thinking he'll be groomed to take over at WILB.

When I said I still wanted two of Cason, Groves, and Avril, I forgot to add in Flowers, who I also really like. Chevis Jackson should be a good CB for NE later in the draft (third round), too.
Couldnt agree more.

I heard they were interested in moving to the top of round 2 to draft Cason.

I can't believe anyone wanted Clady. This OL had one terrible game all year, there was no sense in paying top 10 money for a player we did not need. We NEEDED speed, youth in the front 7. We need a LB who can cover and play the run. Mayo is a run tackling machine and is a player in coverage. Watch high lights, you'll see :]

New England has won 3 Super Bowls this decade without having speed at linebacker. New England has the best defensive line in football. Offenses are built around the quarterbacks and the tackles. New England, a pass first, pass last, pass again offense, had a chance to get the best pass defending tackle in the draft at #10.

FWIW, Mike Mayock, who actually watches film on these guys, had him as the 9th best player in the draft.

Good God. How many of you people actually work in the NFL? Um, sorry but I trust one of the best coaches EVER in the NFL to jusdge talent and pick the best player available to us. I think I remember some people wrinling their noses when we chose Logan Mankins too.

Al Wilson was one of the best linebackers in the league before he got hurt and was a multiple time All-Pro. Kevin Burnett might not be a superstar but he's a pretty good rotational ILB in Dallas' 3-4. Raynoch Thompson was good but had injury problems.

Tennessee has actually produced a pretty good number of linebackers recently.

Wilson is the only one worth a damn, and he's injured.

Couldnt agree more.

I heard they were interested in moving to the top of round 2 to draft Cason.

I'd be happy if they move up and grab Groves or Cason. Rumor has it Groves might be falling, so imagine if they could get Cason at the top of the 2nd by moving up and then move into the 2nd again and grab Groves near the end?

It is worth alot......I generally like Mike's viewpoints......seems to be pretty accurate.....I am just going by all the mocks that I have been seeing out there....and no one had him that high.........I am sure he is going to be a great player for us for years to come........all the "powers that be" on the Pats know alot more than all of us and most of the mock draft guys too I am sure.......GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, DRC to the Cards. I guess they were more worried about their poor pass defense. Well most things about their team was poor but... :)

So, DRC is a Cardinal. Perfect system for him. Looks great on paper, not-so-much on the field

Good God. How many of you people actually work in the NFL? Um, sorry but I trust one of the best coaches EVER in the NFL to jusdge talent and pick the best player available to us. I think I remember some people wrinling their noses when we chose Logan Mankins too.

Belichick has coached quite a few pretty good linebackers. I think he knows how to identify the traits of a good linebacker. I expect Mayo to be a solid player at a need position. Good tackler (tackling machine), good student, good athleticism. If he has the right head on his shoulders then I think he'll work out quite well.

Edit: some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hUy6x2DcvM (40.5" vertical at the combine)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWLgYKi3JoA (Highlights)

He appears to play very well in the scrum. Good blitzes and a nice interception of a ball thrown behind him. Does look a little small.

Last edited:
Some team is going to steal Mendenhall
prolly the cowboys

Wilson is the only one worth a damn, and he's injured.

If your definition of "worth a damn" involves All-Pro selections, that's a pretty narrow definition and doesn't really leave you with much to choose from. I guess you'd prefer a New Mexico linebacker because of Urlacher?

Wow, DRC to the Cards. I guess they were more worried about their poor pass defense. Well most things about their team was poor but... :)

They weren't that bad, come on, this isn't the Cardinals of old. They need help in pass D and this guy can come in and help. If Leinart gets his act together, you never know what might happen.

Wow. Smart pick by the cardinals, DRC?

I like what I see from DRC personally......I would have loved to see this guy playing in a Pats uni.......He will be a great one in the NFL........but then again I said the same thing about Chad Jackson :)......so far that hasn't come true......but this year.....will be his year!

The Lions have said they want to run the ball more. They are going to take Rashard Mendenhall, I think.

I like what I see from DRC personally......I would have loved to see this guy playing in a Pats uni.......He will be a great one in the NFL........but then again I said the same thing about Chad Jackson :)......so far that hasn't come true......but this year.....will be his year!

You weren't the only one hyping CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye