PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA Director warns players and agents to get ready for year long lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup.

They probably also need new union leadership; someone closer to Donald Fehr, who can actually get the players somewhere closer to “equal”

Worst Union in pro sports.
Part of me sympathizes with the players for the nature of their contracts, part of me laments their stupidity in continuing to elect a fool to represent their interests.

Be smarter by who you sign. Teams need to be held accountable for the contracts they shell out.

Smart has nothing to do with injuries. And teams are already accountable for the contracts they shell out.

Part of me sympathizes with the players for the nature of their contracts, part of me laments their stupidity in continuing to elect a fool to represent their interests.

I would take your latter point one step further.

They continually elect a fool to represent them and they also seemingly can't set aside self interests for their collective betterment.

Smart has nothing to do with injuries.
You can’t cut injured players (unless there’s a settlement), so that’s irrelevant.

And teams are already accountable for the contracts they shell out.
Up to a certain point. 49ers can bail on Jimmy G after next year.

Unfortunately the NFLPA isn’t strong enough to win any labor battle and they know it. So it won’t actually come to missing games.

A lockout or a strike? Lockouts are done by management, strikes by labor.

Of course D Smith is using the term lockout in his release just as Goodell will use the term strike in his. Posturing, it's not just for breakfast anymore

Reading this probably gave Goodell his first big laugh since the last contract negotiations.

Players need guaranteed money, opt-outs, protection against Franchise Tags and no trade clauses for starters. Teams have way to much power and the life expectancy of an NFL player is very low.
Guaranteed contracts do not help the players as a whole.
The player earning the guaranteed money while injured takes away from the money earned by the healthy players because it all counts against the cap.
The other things you are requesting have the same effect to varying degrees.

Huge ramifications for Mr. Thomas Brady.

:(

Huge ramifications for Mr. Thomas Brady.

:(

I nominate Mr. Thomas Edward Brady as the new President of the NFLPA. That point alone - a referendum on trampled players rights and kangaroo court justice - would at the least embarrass the Ommissioner.

But I agree: in reality the owners OWN these negotiations. It’s almost like they OWN the league and the players (employment) themselves.

Guaranteed contracts do not help the players as a whole.
The player earning the guaranteed money while injured takes away from the money earned by the healthy players because it all counts against the cap.
The other things you are requesting have the same effect to varying degrees.

Injuries are one thing, but what about players who get cut simply because the team doesn't want to pay them what they signed for? That forces a player to take a pay cut to get back into the league.

And how is it that each team that cuts a player knows what that player is worth to the rest of the league" That seems like the easiest form of collusion to get away with for the owners.

Meanwhile, Goodell is the NYFL's fall guy.

If that happens, it likely means that Brady is done after next year (2020). It would be hard to imagine him playing in 2022.

All the more reason to win the next 2 super bowls...

Injuries are one thing, but what about players who get cut simply because the team doesn't want to pay them what they signed for? That forces a player to take a pay cut to get back into the league.

And how is it that each team that cuts a player knows what that player is worth to the rest of the league" That seems like the easiest form of collusion to get away with for the owners.

Meanwhile, Goodell is the NYFL's fall guy.
It’s the same thing though. It’s still a zero sum gain. If a guy who gets cut had a guaranteed salary he still has to be paid taking that money off the cap. If he keeps his job because his salary is guaranteed a different player is out of work.

Not sure why you think it’s surprising that teams evaluate a players worth similarly or why the team that cuts them would have any clue or care what the players value is to another team. If you aren’t worth what I am paying you to me, I don’t care in the least what anyone else thinks you are worth.

I've been preparing for this for a while. We all know its going to happen. Hopefully, if it does happen, I am hoping for a good year of Playstation exclusive games and some great game releases to pass the time until football comes back!
OK, so what will we adults do?

Watcha guys think of this rule i created. Pls, name calling is okay, but bad rating hurt my lil feelings

I think they should make an Salaray exempt rule:

One player of the roster gets its salary exempted (SE).
Here is the effects i think it will have

- it would Skyrocket QBs salary

- Teams without QBs would make other players their SE. that means top shelf players would try to maximize their offers for best bidder AND players available would command less money (Less inflated market long term. For short term see below)

- It would immediately create a huge amount of flow of cash for players. More players will be paid more, and there will be more distribution among every level of players. (so, yes there would be big boom of salaries at first, which sounds bad, buuut...)

- Since the SE player doesn't count, there would still a lot of cap available to bring players. I'd say with more flexibility.

And why would it all benefit the league?

Teams on rebuild generally have huge cap space. With a SE, they would be able to get a big name on FA and still acquire more talent.

Would GREATLY reward good management, since there would be more flexibility

Whatcha guys think?

if the players are locked out, does the NFLPA leadership forgo their salaries in a show of solidarity?

There is absolutely nothing stopping any player from negotiating a fully-guaranteed contract.

The reason why it doesn't happen is because players would rather roll the dice on themselves and try to get the higher salary they can get with a non-fully-guaranteed contract.

It’s the same thing though. It’s still a zero sum gain. If a guy who gets cut had a guaranteed salary he still has to be paid taking that money off the cap. If he keeps his job because his salary is guaranteed a different player is out of work.

Not sure why you think it’s surprising that teams evaluate a players worth similarly or why the team that cuts them would have any clue or care what the players value is to another team. If you aren’t worth what I am paying you to me, I don’t care in the least what anyone else thinks you are worth.

I think the teams care if they can get a player back for less than they were originally signed to pay him before he was cut.

I'm not surprised to see all of the teams valuing a player around the same amount. The owners could talk about it among themselves and who would know.

I think the teams care if they can get a player back for less than they were originally signed to pay him before he was cut.
That rarely ever happens.

I'm not surprised to see all of the teams valuing a player around the same amount. The owners could talk about it among themselves and who would know.
They value them around the same because it’s based on ability.
They are competing against each other for players why would they conspire with each other?
Again it’s a capped system so there really isn’t an incentive to keep salaries down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes