PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA Director warns players and agents to get ready for year long lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.
The players will never win these things. They will get a concession or two but they will end up caving. The owners are billionaire businessmen with multiple revenue streams who if they never made another dollar again would be set for generations. The average NFL player salary last year was $2.7 million with most of them never having money before in their lives. A lot of times the players don’t have the support structure around them to manage their money and unfortunately are broke not long after the checks stop coming in. I think it was Vince Young who took out a $300k loan at 20% interest to throw himself a birthday party during the last lockout. You get too many players doing things like that and then they’re pushing the NFLPA to settle. Next thing you know Goodell is judge, jury, and executioner.

It is indeed a zero sum game. If you've rather pay more to the players who aren't producing rather than those who are, then have guaranteed contracts. The NFL can then become more like the NBA which does a lot of manuevering on dumping contracts instead of actually trying to build a winning team.

More guaranteed contracts also means an average decrease in motivation; it's just human nature. When your football life is on the line, players are motivated. When it's guaranteed, not as much. The culture of the NFL would change significantly if all contracts were guaranteed - and it would change for the worse.

We see these impacts in other sports that have guaranteed contracts. I'm not sure why some seem to ignore these downsides when considering this.

Do you feel this is the case in MLB?

That rarely ever happens.

They value them around the same because it’s based on ability.
They are competing against each other for players why would they conspire with each other?
Again it’s a capped system so there really isn’t an incentive to keep salaries down.

The incentive is to get any player for as little as possible because of the cap.

EDIT: misinterpreted the post I was quoting.

I think the big thing they will fight for will be fully guaranteed contracts like the NBA and MLB have.

Not going to happen. At least, not 100% guaranteed contracts.

But if I were them, at a minimum I'd do two things: I'd make the minimum salaries completely guaranteed and re-jigger the salary cap accounting so that that minimum doesn't count.

The incentive is to get any player for as little as possible because of the cap.
That doesnt make sense in the context you are using because they would just spend it in another player. So it’s a competitive issue meaning teams wouldn’t have any incentive to help each other.
Ie if Kraft called around the league polling them about how much they would pay McCourty so he could cut him and sign him cheaper the other teams just helped Kraft free up cap space to improve his team and increase the odds he will beat them.

They should be paid for production instead of gtd money. For example: if a team make into playoff, they should look to the players real BS or whatever money he is accounted for that season and and see how much he makes a game and all the players the make the 46 man roster will get a % of that money, thet other guys will make 100k i don't know. Guys will fight for millions and teams will spend 25% more tops. So 50m more tops, for the owners for a team that makes SB is pennies. Gtd salary is bad. 80% will make way less money, and almost all contracts will have gtd BS + a LOT of incentives. So basically they will make less money, bubble guys will make more and guys that rotate will make less.

There is a system for supplemental money being paid to players.

NFL Announces 2017 Performance-Based Pay Distributions | NFL Football Operations

Theres too many players on the rosters to make all contracts guaranteed but the players should get a bigger piece of the pie. Some owners are greedy SOBs and will hold out for every last dollar, look at the deflategate fiasco, it was a bunch of cry baby millionaires that caused it. Give more to the players.

They had a bigger piece of the pie before the last CBA. They bargained it away for things like fewer practices, because they didn't have the resolve to survive the loss of a season's salary.

I see this strike as a long one because the NFLPA will demand things that the owners will never give.

Without a credible alternative to a setting where highly paid workers with an average tenure around 4.3 years, a strike vote is nearly impossible. The youngest guys can't afford it, the veterans on thin ice can't risk never coming back, and the practice squad players have no incentive to take a hit for the high-priced players. The owners hold all the cards.

The NFLPA needs to pick its battles carefully and stand firm on things like 1) reducing the guaranteed rookie contract to two years, 2) increasing the players' share of revenue from the current 48.5% of revenues, 3) increasing the veteran minimums to amounts that shift revenue from the top ten salaries to the next 25, and 4) really get tough on improving vested retirement health and pension benefits for retired players.

I hope the owners push for more practices/training camp. The first few weeks of the season are usually sloppy.

They had a bigger piece of the pie before the last CBA. They bargained it away for things like fewer practices, because they didn't have the resolve to survive the loss of a season's salary.

The fewer practices and limits on padded practices were not entirely unimportant issues, but they were nowhere near the importance of the economic issues and the unfettered authority of the commissioner.

crybaby BILLIONAIRES...jus' sayin'
Couldn't agree more. I won't shed a tear for these guys. 3rd and 4th round players can literally earn FU money (assuming they have a modicum of sense) from their rookie contracts. And that doesn't include the ancillary benefits of playing in the league like endorsements, contacts, and other advantages. Let alone what they can make after that first contract. Until the PA starts to address extending pension rights to players of the 50'. 60's. and 70's, you know the guys who actually built the league. I couldn't give a crap about expanding their already extensive list of entitlements.

That being said, for me to have ANY sympathy at all for the PA, I would want the following issues to be front and center on their demands.

1. More benefits for the "middle class" of players.

2. Better pain management programs. ie MJ and other holistic choices

3. The use of HGH in the off season to promote healing of injuries.

I don't want to hear about too much practicing. I don't want to hear about the "tyranny" of the franchise tag (what a joke)

The VAST majority of players would be better off with MORE days with their coaches. The quality of play would be better and September would cease to be an extension of the preseason.

The PA should trade #3 and 2 on my list in exchange for taking the word "voluntary" out of the OTA's.. However, amend that so that it would be voluntary for players who have been in the league 8 or more years. Or you can make it voluntary for those who have it included in their contracts AFTER their rookie deals are over. Something like that.

You could take care of #1 by having some sort of minimum percentage of your cap going toward the bottom 33 salaries of your roster....or something like that.

And as I said earlier...there was a time when NFL players had to have 2nd jobs in the off season to make ends meet. There was a time when even though they made good money, it was not even CLOSE to being FU money, even after a long and successful career. It's time BOTH the owners and PA recognized those backs upon which the NFL was built and shared the wealth a little bit. Just a an extra thousand a month would be life changing for some of these guys.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. I won't shed a tear for these guys. 3rd and 4th round players can literally earn FU money (assuming they have a modicum of sense) from their rookie contracts. And that doesn't include the ancillary benefits of playing in the league like endorsements, contacts, and other advantages. Let alone what they can make after that first contract. Until the PA starts to address extending pension rights to players of the 50'. 60's. and 70's, you know the guys who actually built the league. I couldn't give a crap about expanding their already extensive list of entitlements.

That being said, for me to have ANY sympathy at all for the PA, I would want the following issues to be front and center on their demands.

1. More benefits for the "middle class" of players.

2. Better pain management programs. ie MJ and other holistic choices

3. The use of HGH in the off season to promote healing of injuries.

I don't want to hear about too much practicing. I don't want to hear about the "tyranny" of the franchise tag (what a joke)

The VAST majority of players would be better off with MORE days with their coaches. The quality of play would be better and September would cease to be an extension of the preseason.

The PA should trade #3 and 2 on my list in exchange for taking the word "voluntary" out of the OTA's.. However, amend that so that it would be voluntary for players who have been in the league 8 or more years. Or you can make it voluntary for those who have it included in their contracts AFTER their rookie deals are over. Something like that.

You could take care of #1 by having some sort of minimum percentage of your cap going toward the bottom 33 salaries of your roster....or something like that.

And as I said earlier...there was a time when NFL players had to have 2nd jobs in the off season to make ends meet. There was a time when even though they made good money, it was not even CLOSE to being FU money, even after a long and successful career. It's time BOTH the owners and PA recognized those backs upon which the NFL was built and shared the wealth a little bit. Just a an extra thousand a month would be life changing for some of these guys.

The players aren't the billionaires. I can assure you that a very small percentage of 3rd & 4th round picks (or any draft picks, regardless of round) get meaningful, lucrative endorsements.

If you do the math:

Median NFL contract pays $860K annually and average career length of an NFL player is 3.3 years. So, yes, players are earning a lot of money up front, but a 3.3 year career compared to an average 40-45 year career of most individuals, the lifetime earnings aren't that outrageously different.

Definitely not the FU money that NFL owners are making.

Last edited:
The fewer practices and limits on padded practices were not entirely unimportant issues, but they were nowhere near the importance of the economic issues and the unfettered authority of the commissioner.

They were all but guaranteed to lose on the revenue percentage issue because of how money had been trending, so I consider that a matter of terrible haggling more than a truly blown negotiation. They went overboard on the practice issues when the issue that should have been the most important (discipline, particularly non-game related discipline) was allowed to remain intact.

And the players have kept Smith after that disaster of a CBA, so I'll not have any sympathy for them this time, if they get killed again.

The players aren't the billionaires. I can assure you that a very small percentage of 3rd & 4th round picks (or any draft picks, regardless of round) get meaningful, lucrative endorsements.

If you do the math:

Median NFL contract pays $860K annually and average career length of an NFL player is 3.3 years. So, yes, players are earning a lot of money up front, but a 3.3 year career compared to an average 40-45 year career of most individuals, the lifetime earnings aren't that outrageously different.

Wrong! A 4th round pick who completes his 4 year contract is likely to make over 6MM from just salary alone. It doesn't cover potential income from the playoffs, endorsements, etc.

Assuming you keep 4MM of that 6, SPEND $2MM on absurdities and a house, and manage to bank $2MM. Even a barely competent portfolio manager can create a 5% return on that $2MM. That's $100,000/yr without ever getting out of bed again....and you never touch the principle.

But there are other benefits. Any guy who has a 4 year career in the NFL has made endorsement money. Maybe not a multi million dollar deal, but something more than what you or I are probably making/yr. THEN there are the all important business contacts. The NFL might be a true meritocracy, but the rest of the world runs by WHO you know more than what you know. Having a 4 year career in the NFL on your resume HELPS!

And then there's the 5th year....if you can make it.

Try to remember the VAST VAST majority of Americans have make do raising a family, providing housing, and feeding themselves for LESS than $40,000 a YEAR.

Of course if you are an idiot, then no amount of money is FU money. So maybe it would be more accurate to say, "a 4 year NFL career for a 3rd of 4th round pick gives them the OPPORTUNITY to have FU money.

Wrong! A 4th round pick who completes his 4 year contract is likely to make over 6MM from just salary alone. It doesn't cover potential income from the playoffs, endorsements, etc.

Assuming you keep 4MM of that 6, SPEND $2MM on absurdities and a house, and manage to bank $2MM. Even a barely competent portfolio manager can create a 5% return on that $2MM. That's $100,000/yr without ever getting out of bed again....and you never touch the principle.

But there are other benefits. Any guy who has a 4 year career in the NFL has made endorsement money. Maybe not a multi million dollar deal, but something more than what you or I are probably making/yr. THEN there are the all important business contacts. The NFL might be a true meritocracy, but the rest of the world runs by WHO you know more than what you know. Having a 4 year career in the NFL on your resume HELPS!

Try to remember the VAST VAST majority of Americans have make do raising a family, providing housing, and feeding themselves for LESS than $40,000 a YEAR.

Of course if you are an idiot, then no amount of money is FU money. So maybe it would be more accurate to say, "a 4 year NFL career for a 3rd of 4th round pick gives them the OPPORTUNITY to have FU money.

As I said, most draft picks (whether they're taken in the 4th round, or any round) don't see lucrative endorsement deals.

And we've already established median income and the average career length of NFL players -- what an average 4th rounder makes over a 4-year contract (if they see the entirety of that contract) isn't relevant, as that's factored into the median annual income mentioned. Ditto for the 4 year contract length example you posed, which is factored into the 3.3 year average career length discussed.

As far as if/how players choose to invest their money, some certainly make wise financial decisions, but many others don't (through no fault of their own).

And this isn't scratching the surface of the what exactly FU money is; I think we have different subjective thresholds for what qualifies as FU money. But I digress.

The average NFL player is much easier to pity due to head trauma/CTE risks rather than any financial issues, but that's not to say that they don't deserve a bigger slice of the pie; currently the owners are seeing far too large a ratio of the revenue generated by the NFL, in my opinion. But equally as important is that these guys' brains are protected so CTE doesn't take their lives at 30-50, leaving a family in ruins.

To loop back around to the original discussion, I fully agree that the average NFL player doesn't deserve much pity insofar as finances are concerned (compared to an average person living the world), but there are still some legitimate equity concerns in the relationship between players and owners.

As I said, most draft picks (whether they're taken in the 4th round, or any round) don't see lucrative endorsement deals.

And we've already established median income and the average career length of NFL players -- what an average 4th rounder makes over a 4-year contract (if they see the entirety of that contract) isn't relevant, as that's factored into the median annual income mentioned. Ditto for the 4 year contract length example you posed, which is factored into the 3.3 year average career length discussed.

As far as if/how players choose to invest their money, some certainly make wise financial decisions, but many others don't (through no fault of their own).

And this isn't scratching the surface of the what exactly FU money is; I think we have different subjective thresholds for what qualifies as FU money. But I digress.

The average NFL player is much easier to pity due to head trauma/CTE risks rather than any financial issues, but that's not to say that they don't deserve a bigger slice of the pie; currently the owners are seeing far too large a ratio of the revenue generated by the NFL, in my opinion. But equally as important is that these guys' brains are protected so CTE doesn't take their lives at 30-50, leaving a family in ruins.

To loop back around to the original discussion, I fully agree that the average NFL player doesn't deserve much pity insofar as finances are concerned (compared to an average person living the world), but there are still some legitimate equity concerns in the relationship between players and owners.

I played 4 years in HS both ways. 4 years in college, and 1 year after college and 2 NFL TC's. I NEVER made a play where I DIDN'T lead with my head, although I led with my head in the proper position. In other words, whether I played offense or defense, my primary goal was to put my face into the chest of the opposing player. EVERY - SINGLE - TIME. That was just the way the game was played then. And at 72, while I seem to be constantly looking for my phone or keys, I have almost all of my faculties.

My point being is that while I acknowledge the existence of CTE, I very much question whether football (especially at the HS level) is the primary cause of it. Now does the risk increase the longer you play, especially at the NFL level where size and speed ratios increase the level of impact. Of course it does, especially for players will careers that span a decade or more.

But in your post you throw around the CTE issue as if it's an
inevitability, rather than a rare POSSIBILITY. It's misleading.

I get it. NFL Players are in a risky business where pain and injury are a constant factor. But it's not like they have the only risky profession. Coal miners, Iron worker, cops, etc all have high risk professions, and NONE of them can get you paid FU money within a 4 year time frame. But the NFL DOES give that player an OPPORTUNITY to make that much.

When the Pats FINALLY sign Winovich in the next few week you will see that it will be for in excess of $6MM. If he makes it the full 4 years that is certainly FU money with the opportunity to make much much more.

So NO, I'm not going to feel bad for the poor entitled NFL players, even though I was a Teamster at my first summer job in a tire warehouse at 15. And even though, I am 2nd to only to the @Joker in my utter disdain for the league and they way they seem to ruining the game I loved.

Last edited:

If you do the math:

I won't discuss what FU money is, but everyone knows that money paid up front over a few years is worth a lot more than the same amount of money spread over decades. Also, while lucrative endorsement deals only go to the top players, many ordinary players pick up money endorsing something like a local car dealership or restaurant chain.

Huh?
Deatrich Wise was a 4th round pick. His 4 year contract totals 2.98 mill.
He will probably net less than 2 mill of that after taxes.

wise would have zero left in this scenario. Even living on 100k a year he would have 1.6 mill which using your formula would give him
80,000 a year. If he is going to live the rest of his life on that at 4% inflation, in 35 years when he is still pretty young that would be the equivalent of 20,000 in today’s dollars. No fu money there.

My approach to this has always been when people pay to watch me work I can consider my income can be reasonably compared to someone who does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes