PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Are TWO Players Away - Overpay In Trades For QB and WR.

Absurd.

Hurts and AJ were hoping to play together since college.

Tyreek had Miami ticketed.

It's bizarre you don't understand this. Neither of these guys were pining for New England and Mac Jones.

Once again, you severely overrate Mac Jones
I don’t even like Mac Jones. I just know human beings like money.

You’re into semantics here but I have been consistent about him for almost two years. He’s a fringe starter or a good backup QB.
He will get one more shot at starting after NE. And then a backup for the rest of his career.

Mac is not the answer but I feel like it's too simplistic to believe we are only one or two players away.

#1 we do need a new starting QB with talent and upside.

#2 we need an OL that can protect the QB.

#3 we need a stud WR who can lineup as the WR1 and take pressure off the rest of our less than stellar WR group.

That's called an offensive overhaul. We could have gotten some pieces in this year's draft but BB decided to go ALL IN on his defense and special teams instead.

BB didn't take a WR until round 6 and not a single OL who could even project as a starting tackle for us.

What we're seeing now is the accumulated result of over a decade of poor drafting.

BB the GM is sabotaging BB the head coach.

It's time Kraft took away his GM duties and leave him to focus on coaching up the players and staff instead.

Just say no. The OL needs fixin’ more than my sister’s fried chicken.

Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

No one is going to give away a QB to suddenly make it all better. Why would they? What level of overpayment would the buying team have to pay in order to ply even a mid-level QB away from a team. What does that do to cap management?

At best, you're going to get an underperformer, which they have now, so far anyway. At worst, you're going to overpay for damaged goods or a locker room cancer, one that the selling team is happy to be rid of.

Guys, there's no quick quick fix. It takes years to build a team to win. The foundation for the 2001 team was already here with Vinateri, Bruschi, Law, McGinest and Milloy, and they all lost the super bowl in 1996. It took that 2001 FA class of Terrell Buckley, Mike Compton, Bryan Cox, Marc Edwards, Larry Izzo, David Patten, Roman Phifer, Anthony Pleasant, Antowain Smith, and Mike Vrabel to come in and bring new blood to the team. Oh, and they found a QB on the bench, too, plus drafted Richard Seymour and Matt Light.

You wanna know how to build a team? There's your roadmap, right there. That part of the game has not changed. Bring in 2-3 top tier OL, a bonafide WR that stresses defenses, a top QB that doesn't give the ball away, a true 3rd down back, all while keeping this defensive core together and get it all under the cap. That's how many players they are away. Never mind the top two defenders just went down with maybe season ending injuries. No big deal, next man up.
QBs do move around the league a little but there's usually slim pickings. Plus, QB isn't needed as much as other positions. Their best bet for the next QB would probably be through the draft if they don't think they have one.

The OL is saddled with a QB that runs right into their blocks. It's impossible to block for this idiot. He bails right into outside rushers. He can't settle in the pocket and instead runs up to the line allowing rushers to disengage from their blocks. He makes his line look bad. Mafi has looked good for a rookie, we haven't really seen much of Sow, but Strange and Onwenu are better than you give them credit for. Having 4 good young guys is a boon, not a problem to be rectified.

Every team doesn't have an Uche. He's not great or even a Pro bowler but he's a 10+ sack guy, and most teams would love to have that extra guy in addition to their top guy in Judon. I see you left out Barmore and Dugger as well. Our defensive backfield is top notch, and the D-line has talent. They are still young but if Keion White comes on, they will be formidable. The building blocks are there. Put a mediocre QB and say a Tee Higgins on this team, and it's competing for the division title.
Plenty of teams have situational pass rusher like Uche. Also, I was as high on Barmore but what has he done? He looked promising his rookie year and has shown flashes here and there but he seems to fall into the Onwneu category where he is regressing or at least not improving and no one seems to want to say so.

The biggest problem right now is something you didn't even mention... the O line.

Plenty of teams have situational pass rusher like Uche. Also, I was as high on Barmore but what has he done? He looked promising his rookie year and has shown flashes here and there but he seems to fall into the Onwneu category where he is regressing or at least not improving and no one seems to want to say so.
Name the teams with Uche please. Name the players.

WHat has Barmore done? He's played great, that's what. He's a one man wrecking crew out there.

Onwenu is the same Onwenu--any regression is because of Mac not knowing how to set up his plays. The pressures that PFF counts as being against Onwenu are because Mac runs right into the path of the oncoming rusher. There is no way for an OL to win this. Just like on that horrible dump off to Rham, the play was counted against Onwenu because his man pressured Mac, yet Onwenu had his man absolutely locked down until idiot Mac panicked.

The talent is there, we've had guys come off injuries, we've had 2 concussions. There are no season injuries. If this team had a decent QB, someone who stood in the pocket, there'd be no more focus on them.
You are living in a twisted reality thinking our O line is in good shape and Mac just can't see a pocket. What are you on???

The OLine is a turnstile.

I don't think Mac is great, but if he's given a half decent pocket he'll make the throws.

Is JC Jackson one of the 2?

WHat has Barmore done? He's played great, that's what. He's a one man wrecking crew out there.

Onwenu is the same Onwenu--any regression is because of Mac not knowing how to set up his plays. The pressures that PFF counts as being against Onwenu are because Mac runs right into the path of the oncoming rusher. There is no way for an OL to win this. Just like on that horrible dump off to Rham, the play was counted against Onwenu because his man pressured Mac, yet Onwenu had his man absolutely locked down until idiot Mac panicked.
Brandon Graham, Josh Sweat, Justin Houston, Yannick Ngogkoue, Leonard Floyd? There are tons of those guys. I don't know why you think Uche is some unique butterfly.

So just generic Jon Gruden on MNF-esque praise for Barmore. I don't think he's been bad by any means but he seems to flash then disappear. I like the guy but he isn't some cornerstone of the defense to build around yet.

And yes everything is all Mac's fault. It's Mac's fault Onwenu keeps false starting and getting flagged for holds. Again not a guy who is bad but he needs to step it up especially when it looks like Strange is a bust.

Brandon Graham, Josh Sweat, Justin Houston, Yannick Ngogkoue, Leonard Floyd? There are tons of those guys. I don't know why you think Uche is some unique butterfly.

So just generic Jon Gruden on MNF-esque praise for Barmore. I don't think he's been bad by any means but he seems to flash then disappear. I like the guy but he isn't some cornerstone of the defense to build around yet.

And yes everything is all Mac's fault. It's Mac's fault Onwenu keeps false starting and getting flagged for holds. Again not a guy who is bad but he needs to step it up especially when it looks like Strange is a bust.
Tom Curran said yesterday that Strange's knee injury apparently needs surgery but he's trying to play through it. So it makes sense to take that into consideration when it comes to evaluating him. That, and their ground game has been significantly better when he's been out there, especially as it relates to Stevenson.

Look, I don’t think Mac is HIM, but, I’m also not sure Brady himself in his prime could work with this O-line and a pressure rate north of 50%.

Now, a true dual threat QB maybe but…who?

I don’t see a meaningful trade being available at QB.

It’s not a talented football team and hasn’t been for a while.

Gotta find a way to beat the Saints or it’s gonna get ugly fast.
Brady would be at least 3-1 with this team. That is not just complimentary to Brady. I believe in this team. QB play and injuries are holding it back. I don't see any answers around the league for trade. Justin Fields will likely be available. Not convinced he would solve the problem. He can definitely run but I have no idea about his passing skills. I don't think we want to pay big money for Sam Darnold. Davis Mills maybe. Kyler Murray (shorter than Bailey)? Personally, I would call LAS and swap Mac for Jimmy G right now, even if he is injured. I would go with Jimmy G and see what Grier and Cunningham can develop into. I'm a sucker for preseason wannabes and I loved Malik.

I would hope we can increase Pop's workload, get Boutte back on the field and maybe even Thornton. Look for Gesicki more often also. Give me Henry, Gesicki, Pop, Boutte, and either Bourne or JuJu.

Thiis Sunday really is the start of our season. Too bad it will be without Judon, Gonzalez, Marcus and maybe JJ.

We’re 3 penalties in 1 quarter on Onwenu Mac Jones fault?
How about the weather, or interest rates?

Those are Pro Bowl players! What are we even discussing here? Those aren't fringe players.

Barmore, in 2 of the games, completely destroyed O-lines, he was a one man wrecking crew versus Philly and the Jets.

I'm not going to get worked up on holds that happen every play especially when they're not egregious. Nor is a false start a huge thing when the player in question has a long history of not doing it. You're nitpicking.

We’re 3 penalties in 1 quarter on Onwenu Mac Jones fault?
How about the weather, or interest rates?
By that logic one could ask: “Did Onwenu personally give up 14 pts and turn it over 3 times?”

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back