PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Are TWO Players Away - Overpay In Trades For QB and WR.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We are two players away: QB and WR.
========================
Should we spend a couple of top picks and secure a couple of players?

If you think that there are NO players available at any price, so be it. CLEARLY, the management should be fired is they can't the players to improve this team.

I understand that for some of you, all the matters is the Super Bowl, and the playoffs aren't even worth trying for, so we should trade our players and wait until next year. That is NOT the New England Patriots. You will be disappointed as long as Kraft owns the team, because that will never be his approach.
==========================
I'm NOT suggesting which player should be traded for. That depends on availability and price.

What I am suggesting is that we COULD greatly improve the team with a major trade or two. Obviously, we also have the minor trades which are long shots. Sometimes, we get a player like Lowe who can contribute (I see a RB addition in our future).

Look, I don’t think Mac is HIM, but, I’m also not sure Brady himself in his prime could work with this O-line and a pressure rate north of 50%.

Now, a true dual threat QB maybe but…who?

I don’t see a meaningful trade being available at QB.

It’s not a talented football team and hasn’t been for a while.

Gotta find a way to beat the Saints or it’s gonna get ugly fast.

Look, I don’t think Mac is HIM, but, I’m also not sure Brady himself in his prime could work with this O-line and a pressure rate north of 50%.

We’d be 2-2 with a good QB. I think we beat Philly in week 1 with Brady or a Mahomes.

Much more than 2 players away with the injuries, defense is going to fall off a cliff against good quarterbacks without it's best 2 players.

offensive line is one of the worst in the league.

========================

If you think that there are NO players available at any price, so be it. CLEARLY, the management should be fired is they can't the players to improve this team.

I understand that for some of you, all the matters is the Super Bowl, and the playoffs aren't even worth trying for, so we should trade our players and wait until next year. That is NOT the New England Patriots. You will be disappointed as long as Kraft owns the team, because that will never be his approach.
I'm NOT suggesting which player should be traded for. That depends on availability and price.

What I am suggesting is that we COULD greatly improve the team with a major trade or two. Obviously, we also have the minor trades which are long shots. Sometimes, we get a player like Lowe who can contribute (I see a RB addition in our future).
Forgive my cynicism, but have we ever seen this level of MLB type trade in the NFL before? Feels like an exercise in futility. So many moving parts. Need to have a willing dance partner, who has a decent QB, and fit said QB under the cap. Then do it all again for a WR, knowing that there surely would be other interested parties (IFYTYK) who would drive the price up for a wideout.
We’d be 2-2 with a good QB. I think we beat Philly in week 1 with Brady or a Mahomes.
Well then they aren't that bad, are they?

@Steve102 we are bad but a good qb would somehow elevate this team to a semi respectable record. We wouldn’t be a good team but a good qb can hide some deficiencies. Let’s say if this team ended up 9-8 with Mahomes. We wouldn’t be a 9 win team on paper but a qb who’s that good can change the outcome of a few games.

I would focus on building the offensive line and then adding a legit #1 receiver. I am not sure that Mac is the answer but the Patricia experiment and the current offensive line didn't put him in a position to succeed.

========================

Management should be fired if they can’t find a player on another team that will make the patriots great and force the other team to not want them and trade them away?

When did Kraft tell you that his goal isn’t tv win super bowls?

What are we 2 players away from? Which 2 players? Where can I find the list of players that we are “away by” whose teams are willing to trade them?
If we are 2 players away, why would the team that has them, trade them to us? Would that make each of them another player away?

There will be quite a few dual-threat QBS in the draft this year, if we are willing to commit a high draft pick on one.

Add a great qb and We are the 2019 patriots. Who is going to make the key 3rd down catches in a tight playoff game? That team had edelman and James white too so even that might be overestimating.

Qb and a great wr or 2, yes then we are talking! But it may be the 2 toughest positions to fill especially in our system. Bill has never thrown top dollar at a wr1 who is unproven in our offense. It has to be a discount like moss and ab. Or draft an edelman/gronk, that’s happened twice in 24 years with bb, 3 if you count branch he was really good here and clutch af.

In all seriousness I hope something goes wrong with the Justin Herbert Chargers relationship. I would give them whatever the hell they want for him. 3 first rounders? Fine. 5? Fine. Nothing matters without a quarterback.

Well then they aren't that bad, are they?
You are correct. One of these statements isn't true.

We'd be 2-2 with Mahomes or Brady.

We are a terrible, terrible team.

@Steve102 we are bad but a good qb would somehow elevate this team to a semi respectable record. We wouldn’t be a good team but a good qb can hide some deficiencies. Let’s say if this team ended up 9-8 with Mahomes. We wouldn’t be a 9 win team on paper but a qb who’s that good can change the outcome of a few games.
Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

No one is going to give away a QB to suddenly make it all better. Why would they? What level of overpayment would the buying team have to pay in order to ply even a mid-level QB away from a team. What does that do to cap management?

At best, you're going to get an underperformer, which they have now, so far anyway. At worst, you're going to overpay for damaged goods or a locker room cancer, one that the selling team is happy to be rid of.

Guys, there's no quick quick fix. It takes years to build a team to win. The foundation for the 2001 team was already here with Vinateri, Bruschi, Law, McGinest and Milloy, and they all lost the super bowl in 1996. It took that 2001 FA class of Terrell Buckley, Mike Compton, Bryan Cox, Marc Edwards, Larry Izzo, David Patten, Roman Phifer, Anthony Pleasant, Antowain Smith, and Mike Vrabel to come in and bring new blood to the team. Oh, and they found a QB on the bench, too, plus drafted Richard Seymour and Matt Light.

You wanna know how to build a team? There's your roadmap, right there. That part of the game has not changed. Bring in 2-3 top tier OL, a bonafide WR that stresses defenses, a top QB that doesn't give the ball away, a true 3rd down back, all while keeping this defensive core together and get it all under the cap. That's how many players they are away. Never mind the top two defenders just went down with maybe season ending injuries. No big deal, next man up.

We need 2 top 5 picks in next 2 drafts, it's up to them how to get those, suck or trade up. With all money we have in next few years with good GM (not BB) with FA or trades we are contender in year 3.

Yeah the 2 players being Patrick Mahomes and Tyreek Hill.
OK, that's a start.

Would we be a competitor for being the Championship Game with those two players?
===========================
Would be compeititive for the PLAYOFFS with one of these players? What about Hill and a RT? or Hill and a CB?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back