PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA Director warns players and agents to get ready for year long lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would we see a 2022 draft lottery then? That would be wild.

The NFLPA should be encouraging players to always save more money, potential work stoppage or not.
Back in the day, old fashion unions representing ordinary guys would have a strike fund, into which their members would put money. During a strike, the money would be paid out to workers for essentials. I can see the grumbling among NFL players, if Smith required them to contribute to a strike fund.

It's amazing to me that a league as profitable and powerful as the NFL could even think a lockout would be possible.

Why? It worked last time.

Would we see a 2022 draft lottery then? That would be wild.
Actually I can see guys who might come out in 2021 but are eligible to come out in 2020 coming out early... no wonder the Pats are stockpiling picks in what could be a good draft.

Players need guaranteed money, opt-outs, protection against Franchise Tags and no trade clauses for starters. Teams have way to much power and the life expectancy of an NFL player is very low.

Back in the day, old fashion unions representing ordinary guys would have a strike fund, into which their members would put money. During a strike, the money would be paid out to workers for essentials. I can see the grumbling among NFL players, if Smith required them to contribute to a strike fund.
I think they have one, thought I read it somewhere

Actually I can see guys who might come out in 2021 but are eligible to come out in 2020 coming out early... no wonder the Pats are stockpiling picks in what could be a good draft.
and 2022? 2021 should still be a 'normal' draft based on the 2020 season results. Would they do it like in 2005 in the NHL with a lottery in 2022?

Of course I then ask myself if someone like Trevor Lawrence projected to go #1 overall in 2021 stays in school instead of sitting on his butt for 1 year and then enters the 2022 draft and if there is indeed some sort of lottery to determine the picks some good team without ever being terrible could luck into that type of player.

Players need guaranteed money, opt-outs, protection against Franchise Tags and no trade clauses for starters. Teams have way to much power and the life expectancy of an NFL player is very low.

Players get guaranteed money in the form of signing bonuses.

Yup.

They probably also need new union leadership; someone closer to Donald Fehr, who can actually get the players somewhere closer to “equal”

Worst Union in pro sports.

Players get guaranteed money in the form of signing bonuses.
Guaranteed contacts like Kirk Cousins. This will prevent teams from handing out outrageous contracts and be able to cut players after a certain amount of years.

If that happens, it likely means that Brady is done after next year (2020). It would be hard to imagine him playing in 2022.

Perfect way for TB12 to go out. Football returns with a whimper and the league office/31 cries itself to sleep at night from the plummeting interest in a league headlined by Sideshow Bob and the Walrus.

The NFL will self destruct.

Fans still havent come back from all the anthem BS.

Patriots fans have never come back from the witch hunt. The NFL is already dead to so many of us...think of it like TB/BB providing life support for a few more seasons.

NFL piggy bank would dry up overnight.

Essentials to NFL players are a new Mercedes or $174,000 solid gold Rolex.

Patriots fans have never come back from the witch hunt. The NFL is already dead to so many of us...think of it like TB/BB providing life support for a few more seasons.

I see this strike as a long one because the NFLPA will demand things that the owners will never give.

I assume he is talking about fully guaranteed deals for non QBs.

Guaranteed contacts like Kirk Cousins. This will prevent teams from handing out outrageous contracts and be able to cut players after a certain amount of years.

The large scale introduction of fully guaranteed contracts for all football players is a terrible idea, for a variety of reasons, unless you're planning to lower average pay as part of a complete overhaul of the CBA. And why on earth would you not want teams to be able to cut players?

The large scale introduction of fully guaranteed contracts for all football players is a terrible idea, for a variety of reasons, unless you're planning to lower average pay as part of a complete overhaul of the CBA. And why on earth would you not want teams to be able to cut players?
Be smarter by who you sign. Teams need to be held accountable for the contracts they shell out.

Last edited:
Shhh. They might see it as the only way to beat him.
Hah, just watched Steve Harvey's show about beating Tom Brady this morning! (Facebook video}

I am guessing the whole reason for the year long stoppage will be because of Article 46! Goodell wont give up his power! I fully expect a year without football!
I doubt it. The nflpa doesn’t really seem to think that’s an important issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes