SOURCE:USA TODAY

SOURCE:CBS Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

NFL to propose to improve a team's draft position if it hires a person of color as HC or GM

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by masterbouncer, May 15, 2020.

?

DO you like this idea

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. No

146 vote(s)
    89.6%
  3. Maybe, not sure

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. iapatsfan

iapatsfan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,714

So all of the discussion about the absolute importance of accuracy for an NFL QB is BS? You guys are really struggling here. Now we're to the point of claiming accuracy really isn't that important.

2. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +35,868
    another football thread turned into a reprehensible political shytstorm by InfernalClaptrap....SSDD

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  3. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33,664
    Which part of the article do you take issue with?

I don't like Cam. His dancing and antics bother me; I know a bunch of people in NC who claim the guy is an ass hat and a terrible teammate. Fair to say, I haven't liked him since he was a douchebag in college. I would hate to see the Pats sign him.

But we're talking about completion percentage versus accuracy. If he is "inaccurate" then why is his completion pct on balls thrown 5+ yards among the very best in the NFL?

Cam is certainly a better downfield passer than Brees. You'd have to be crazy to think otherwise. Brees throws ducks, despite being in a dome.

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82,459
    QBs are measured on....

Wins
    Team Points
    1st downs
    Championships
    4th Qtr comebacks
    Game-winning drives
    Leadership
    Game Management
    Decision-making

Some of the greatest QBs of all-time were not as accurate as TB12, AR or Brees but were outstanding at all of the key points above.

Yes, a QB needs to be accurate but that is not directly correlated to comp %.

5. lancerman

lancerman In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Sorry this is wrong. They are measured on if the QB had a 59% completion percentage or not

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. amfootball

amfootball Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +824
    Good point. Owners only care about one color - green. That has been proven with the rise of the black QBs over the past several years. I have no idea about the coaches/GM and why there are not more but it would be good to know how many are actually applying for the jobs. Like I said in a previous post, playing the game and coaching the game are not remotely the same. So it is a false equivalency to say because 70/80 percent of the players are black that the coaches should be a certain percentage of that. I am also not denying that there might be some racism at work but I don't think it is overt, I think it is more that the owners have "their guys" and they don't stray from it much.

BTW for what it's worth, the media, including most black football talking heads and writers, hate this proposal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  7. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,329
    I will never understand how believing most minorities are unable to help themselves or the only way they can be successful is to get an artificial boost isn't out right racist and the very least offensive to them.

You see it all the time with politicians and the SJW's...they can't get an ID to vote because it's to complicated of a process or they can't get to the DMV, because it's to far away and they are obviously to poor to afford transportation.

Makes me shake my head. Most SJW seem to believe that minorities are inept and incapable of surviving on their own, without the help of said SJW and the government.

That is the most belittling way of thinking imaginable and some how it passes as being commpasionate, by far too many.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. iapatsfan

Ratings:
    +1,714
    I have plenty of issues with the article.

1. The generalities. "Ruined by his Wrs" "There have been plenty of times" etc.
    2. The lack of comparison to other QBs in the league (made one reference to Rodgers)
    3. It's poorly written. I did try to click on the link to the more detailed information the author referenced, but the link did not work.
    4. The one that really got me was his reference to the 2016 season. He stated that if 59 passes hadn't been "ruined by his receivers" he would have bumped up to 17th in the NFL in terms of completion percentage (hilarious that if we add in his dropped passes he's still only 17th). This is absolutely ridiculous as you would have to also then add in every QBs passes "ruined by his receivers". If you did that, Newton would again fall to the back of the pack as it relates to accuracy.

If I'm right, it is self-evident why he's currently unemployed. The ignorant position is to suggest "racism" or some other invisible evil force is the cause. We'll see.

9. TheRainMaker

TheRainMaker In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,150
    The new Coronavirus thread. :rolleyes:

10. 1960Pats

1960Pats PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,395
    I think people feel better when they're working, regardless of the color of their skin.

Voter ID is about the integrity of an election, not race, as some would have us believe.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Nunchucks

Nunchucks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,649
    It starts at childhood when african american children get in trouble more for doing the same things as white kids, they don't get called on in class, their role models are different, they have different dreams...the police hassle them for walking down the street, they get followed by security in stores, they cannot get jobs because they aren't named Steve or Jen even though they have exactly the same resumes, they cannot rent an apartment because that landlord doesn't rent to african americans, they can't get mortgages for "reasons."

It goes on and on and on and on...But, you keep on living in that world where everything is generally the same...."faulk them, you got yours"

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ring 6

Ring 6 PatsFans.com Wall of Fame Member

Ratings:
    +7,904
    Well let’s just make things up. That’s a better way right? Half of what you wrote is a lie and the other a wild exaggeration.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  13. IllegalContact

IllegalContact PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15,226
    show me where I said that

14. Ring 6

Ratings:
    +7,904
    Not a good article.
    Accuracy isn’t a statistic. Nobody would watch newton play and honestly call him an accurate passer.
    That doesn’t mean he stinks, it means it’s one of his weaknesses. Everyone has them.
    Newton has used his other strengths to overcome that weakness to an extent.
    My issue with newton is that his success depends upon his running ability. With it, he not only adds an additional strength to his game, it also helps him to overcome the weaker parts of his game.
    A lame newton trying to be a pocket passer would be pathetic.
    Tell me he is able AND WILLING (because he himself says he won’t run anymore) to take the beating that his style of play requires and of course the patriots should sign him and tailor the offense to those strengths.
    But without those strengths he is a waste of time and then eating he has taken tell me that even if he is willing I can’t see him making it through a season.

15. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +15,226
    You’re the biggest simp here.

so at what % does a bad QB become good? Only use % as an indicator

16. Ring 6

Ratings:
    +7,904
    Decision making is a huge factor in completion percentage. Poor decision making can both increase or decrease comp % depending on why you are making poor decision ( ie captain checkdown flacco compared to everyone’s open Winston) regardless of differences in accuracy. 2 QBs could have the same comp % on the same throws and still gave accuracy differences such as setting up rac or getting your receiver killed. (Brady’s accuracy actually at times reduced rac and completion % because he threw a lot of low balls that were harder to catch because Jr threw the receiver open and/or threw to the spot where the defender couldn’t affect the throw. )

17. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +15,226
    mai you’re saying that Tannehill > Wilson......got it

18. iapatsfan

Ratings:
    +1,714
    I'll make it easy and set a 9 year qualifier within the last 10 years. Good (as it relates to completion %) can be defined as not having a career avg that would put you in the bottom 3 of the NFL this past season. As long as you're not there, Ill accept it. All I need is a career avg in the top 29, and I'll listen to the rest. If you can't meet that minimum requirement after 9 years in an era designed to benefit the QB, I'm going to have to place you in backup territory. Talk about grading on a curve.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  19. iapatsfan

Ratings:
    +1,714
    Nope. However, they'll both be starting this season. Cam won't.

20. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +15,226
    your parameters are meaning less.....nothing to see here, move along