PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL OT rules

Each time should be guaranteed a possession.

That really isn't a huge rule change.

Nothing else needs to change.

These piecemeal changes are irritating.
10 plays each, both teams going same direction, start at the opposite 30. Continue until a winner. Coin flip determines who gets to decide who goes first. No first downs, just 10 plays. If you don't get a TD or FG, you get a goose egg. Turnovers end possession. Defensive TD wins game. Safety (unlikely) wins game. Repeat down on either teams penalty after yardage. Except for loss of down penalty, then the down gets taken away.

I honestly like the Ravens(!) proposal:

The coin flip decides who gets to choose the starting line. The other team then decides whether they want to start on offense or defense.

10 plays each, both teams going same direction, start at the opposite 30. Continue until a winner. Coin flip determines who gets to decide who goes first. No first downs, just 10 plays. If you don't get a TD or FG, you get a goose egg. Turnovers end possession. Defensive TD wins game. Safety (unlikely) wins game. Repeat down on either teams penalty after yardage. Except for loss of down penalty, then the down gets taken away.
Too gimmicky. That's not the game of football. Down and distance is central to the sport. In the postseason, just set the clock for 10 min, or 12 min, or 15 min, and play the game until time is out.

If it hasn't been mentioned. ten minute overtime, if its still tied another ten minute overtime.

I honestly like the Ravens(!) proposal:

The coin flip decides who gets to choose the starting line. The other team then decides whether they want to start on offense or defense.
Personally I hate that idea.
Up there with putting a man on base that doesn’t belong there to start extra innings. Or just deciding the game with a trivia contest.

If it hasn't been mentioned. ten minute overtime, if its still tied another ten minute overtime.
I think 15 is better but I still don’t understand why sudden death ever had to be changed.

I like it the way it is. Id like to see the odds of scoring a td when starting at your 25. They are probably very reasonably low. I understand the teams are gassed but you gotta be able to prevent a td to prove your worth at that point… its a huge difference from being asked to keep them out of fg range (especially with kickers seemingly being alot more capable nowadays)
I agree. If you can’t stop a touchdown why should you win.

problem is the officiating IN ot tho

Personally I hate that idea.
Up there with putting a man on base that doesn’t belong there to start extra innings. Or just deciding the game with a trivia contest.
Why? It's reducing the role of chance and increasing the role of strategy.

Wait, how about each team gets 15 plays, but the first 5 plays your quarterback has to be blindfolded and the opposing defense can only have 10 players on the field. Coin-toss decides if you want to eliminate the other team's kicker in exchange for starting at the 5 yard line instead of the 25.

Why? It's reducing the role of chance and increasing the role of strategy.
Not really. It’s still a coin toss and the winner gets a preference. It just adds a silly gimmick.

Really the best way to handle this is to continue the 4th quarter until the next score.
If you score at the end of regulation to tie the game why shouldn’t the next move be that you kickoff?
It’s the most fair you can make it, if they game is tied keep playing until it isn’t.
There is no reason you have to start fresh in a 5th quarter.

I agree. If you can’t stop a touchdown why should you win.

problem is the officiating IN ot tho
Officiating is part of the game. Players are human and make mistakes, so are officials. The problem is too many people listen when a losing team cries. The rules are the rules, deal with them.
The game isn’t about playing then taking a vote who was better, it’s about playing the game subject to rules, some of which are to your advantage and others which are not.
It’s humans physically competing.

Officiating is part of the game. Players are human and make mistakes, so are officials. The problem is too many people listen when a losing team cries. The rules are the rules, deal with them.
The game isn’t about playing then taking a vote who was better, it’s about playing the game subject to rules, some of which are to your advantage and others which are not.
It’s humans physically competing.
Start bringing computers into the game

i do feel sometimes calls are missed or inappropriately distributed.

The simplest way is also the best way: if the game is tied, the clock continues to run at the end of regulation without a reset/coin toss/kickoff. Whoever has the ball keeps the ball. Next score of any kind wins.

Overtime strategy is baked into end game strategy.

It’s perfect, actually.

Agreed. All these other ideas, I'm just trying to decide which one I hate the most.
That’s just it, isn’t it? So many people don’t understand. Josh Allens drive to take the lead took how many plays? 8, and 49 secs or so of time. The Bills Defense allows that game tying FG in 13 secs! Fact is, KC’s defense just played better. :rofl: I agree with you. The Bills defense got exposed, just like our defense got exposed. It is wha tit is. They weren’t good enough to proceed. You don’t change the damn rules because of it. The guys on defense get paid millions too!

Each time should be guaranteed a possession.

That just flips the advantage of being "unfair" from the first team getting the ball to the second.

Last edited:
The fact people are talking about a full 10min or 15min OT shows how this has become Arena Football or the NBA.

And there will still be people complaining.

Changing the game to 4 hrs where the first 3 hrs don't matter much, isn't good for the sport.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back