PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL OT rules

Play the entire 15 minute OT in the post season only
This is the right answer. We'd still win our 2 playoff games anyway. But this is needed even moreso now.

Isn't it something like 53% of teams who win the coin toss win the game? HFA is around 55%..

You can't get a much more even playing field. Don't want to lose in OT? Hold them to a FG.

I do like the idea of continuing the game into a new quarter, provided that nothing is "reset" and the same downs and distances are established in Q5. It eliminates the coin toss everyone loves to cry about. If they're tied after Q5, sudden death field goal rules apply. Obviously this might be difficult and/or impossible for Big TV to actually pull off with early games, rights blah blah

No matter what solution you have there will always be some inequity in overtime, even playing into multiple OT quarters. Someone gets the ball first in OT, then you have teams playing possibly 1/4 or 1/2 or more extra leading into the next week of playoffs....no way to make this equitable.

I'm ok with the rule as it stands....BTW #1 Defense couldn't make a stop.......

Make it like hockey. 7 on 7 sudden death. If no scores in 5 minutes, then a fg shootout from 50 yds.

I say play out an entire quarter or set time period - 8, 10, 12, 15 minutes, whatever.

Make it like possession arrow in NCAAB….

Coin flip to start the game. Team that wins coin flip gets the tiebreaker. Game ends in a tie after 4Q, team with the tiebreaker wins. Strategy can be planned around that for the entire game.

if your defense can't stop a TD, you don't deserve to win. There are 2 sides to football, screw the pass happy points fans.
Today's game is almost unwatchable at times.

I like it how it is. Your defense needs to make a stop

Agreed. All these other ideas, I'm just trying to decide which one I hate the most.
It used to be sudden death where a FG would win you the game. With these rules you still have a shot

That’s the problem. The original sudden death overtime concept came about in the early days when scoring was normal and teams could actually play defense. The rule was adjusted a dozen years ago after the Polian rules combined with the changes / improvements to place kickers made a quick field goal to start overtime a common occurrence. Now they’ve completely NBA’d the NFL, no one can play defense anymore, so marching down the field for a TD is relatively simple. The 2018 AFCCG was supposedly a phenomenal one-in-a-lifetime finish. Yesterday’s game made those 4th quarter and OT defenses look like the 1985 Bears.

There are two ways to adjust to this. One way is to have postseason OT be a full 10 minute period, and if still tied go on to 2nd OT. Another way, and hear me out on this, is to actually bring real football back and allow teams to play defense, so no OT rule changes would be needed. Crazy talk, I know…..
You say this, but every year in the playoffs, defense does catch up a bit. the titans held the bengals potent offense to 19 points, oh and guess how they won? An interception off a supposed “easy give me field goal drive” where the offense only needed 30/40 yards or so.

Overtime isn’t meant to be “fair” or anything like that. It’s just that; the two teams failed on both offense and defense to win it and regulation and now it’s sudden death. The bills and chiefs had some punts yesterday believe it or not, so they had multiple chances to score more then the other team. Not to mention the bills had the #1 pass defense and failed multiple times, including a easy defensive stop (13 seconds on the clock). Enough with the participation trophy mindset. You wanna win? Make the play in the regular game or hold them to a field goal and stop whining.

The question was about the playing style, not if the talent level was better in 2018 vs 2021, which is an absurd question because the answer is so obvious.

If you do want to call out a difference between 2018 and 2021 it is that we had Stephon Gilmore in his prime and an overall much better set of DBs than this year's crew. You can also make the case that the 2021 era RBs are better than Burkhead and Michel especially if White didn't get injured.

In 2021 and onward the die is cast, we have Mac Jones who IMO is a top-10 level NFL QB talent but not top-4 level. TB12 ain't coming through that door. We're probably not going to win in a shoot out against the Mahomes and Allen type QBs.

IMO we pretty much have to make the 2018-era formula work, and yes, that means we need a lot more talent, on both sides of the ball.
I do agree with you here completely, beside the take we are probably not going to win a shoot out against Mahomes and Allen type QB. Because its not just them its the cast around them, and if BB would go more after this dynamic players it would be easier for Mac and any other QB out there to compete against the Chiefs, than having to play with Harry and the likes that have no speed and barely get seperation. Beside Bourne (and in theory Smith) there is no one that has any YAC ability on the Pats team.

You can chose Harry or you chose Samuel, thats on BB what players he likes and wants on the team, dynamic or slow mfs like Harry and SlowJuan.

WRs picked after Harry:
Deebo Samual
AJ Brown
DK Metcalf
Diontae Johnson
Terry Mclaurin
Hunter Renfrow
Feels like a "woman I should have married instead of my ex-wife" list.

So much becomes clearer a few years into the relationship.

It pays to take note of the mistake, but IMO not to dwell on it.

WRs picked after Harry:
Deebo Samual
AJ Brown
DK Metcalf
Diontae Johnson
Terry Mclaurin
Hunter Renfrow

I'm curious how this relates to overtime rules.

lots of stories and posts (here, other sites, etc) about OT not being fair...

OT shouldn't be fair... No team should want to go to OT... The current rules dont do enough to force teams to reach a conclusion during regulation play... the NFL needs to go back to the Sudden Death Any Score Wins format... Make it so teams absolutely wont/don't want to play for OT... Force them to go for two if a td and try nets them a 3 point lead in the final two minutes... The NFL needs to make OT the "there is only one hairy fat chick, and im not sure she is a chick, left in the bar and its 3am" option...

Make it ugly, not fair, NFL...

Coin flip is what it is.

Could they give the first shot to the home team?

It would be an extra bonus/advantage for having won more games in the regular season and the visiting team would know the situation ahead of time, at least making end of regulation scoring decisions (i.e., going for the win vs. going for OT).

It wouldn't guarantee both teams get a shot if they kept the rest of the rules the same as now. But it would remove the arbitrariness of a coin flip.

I do agree with you here completely, beside the take we are probably not going to win a shoot out against Mahomes and Allen type QB. Because its not just them its the cast around them, and if BB would go more after this dynamic players it would be easier for Mac and any other QB out there to compete against the Chiefs, than having to play with Harry and the likes that have no speed and barely get seperation. Beside Bourne (and in theory Smith) there is no one that has any YAC ability on the Pats team.
If Stephenson could catch, oh my...

You can chose Harry or you chose Samuel, thats on BB what players he likes and wants on the team, dynamic or slow mfs like Harry and SlowJuan.
Point is, there is some method to his madness, and circumstances suggest we're gonna see more of it before we see less of it.

I get it, watching Burrow pass to Chase was great, but watching him have to get rid of the ball almost instantly because his OL sucks wasn't. Then you get the "rich man's problem" of having to pay both of them top-of-market salaries in the not too distant future, Better hope they can draft well in the next 1-2 years or the window is gonna get slammed really quick. Intentionally or not, Mac is learning how to play the game without Chase or Samuel or one of the other trophy WRs. Better than playing for da Jete, IMO.

BB is who BB is, he ain't gonna change at age 70. Probably best to get used to that, or hope when he goes they find a really different kind of coach, or find different laundry to root for. Complaining on an internet forum may help one cope with it, but that's about all it does.

Some facts gleaned from an Ian Rapaort twitter discussion

The current OT rules date from 2010 for the playoffs and 2012 for the regular season,

Under the current OT rules, teams winning the coin toss are 86-67-10. So they won 56.2% of the games that didn't end in a tie, and 52.8% overall.
So it is an advantage, though small. Even the 10 ties all were more than one possession, so the 52.8% seems reflective of an impact of winning the coin toss. Of course ties are not given in the playoffs.

The playoff situation though is where the numbers get skewed and that leave us feeling that something is amiss. 11 playoff games have gone to OT since 2010 and the team winning the toss is 10-1, or 90.9%. Only the Saints in 2018 lost, in the NFCCG vs. the Rams.

Is this just small sample size, or is it something to worry about?

I am not sure how many of the 10 were won on 1st possession TDs.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back