PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: New Patriots LB Judon on Tom Brady: “He intentionally grounds the ball every time”

The funny thing about this, is I have seen QB's under pressure and throwing the ball away, and we all know they are throwing the ball away, but if its within a certain amount of yards from the receiver its fine and it has to get past the line, etc etc, which confuses me about the Brady superbowl grounding, it was a long pass, it was not to the other side of the field where nobody was, it was over the head of the receiver. I have never seen that called grounding and I see that all the time. I do not know the exact yardage the ball was past the receiver but it was in fact thrown toward a receiver and not in an empty spot.

No, Brady threw a long pass and did not intend to throw it to a receiver. it was clearly done to avoid taking a sack (by Justin Tuck I think). He did not throw it over any receiver’s head. This was set up by Steve Weatherford’s great punt to the Pats 5 yard line and BOB deciding to throw the ball on 1st down.

more like 30 yards away,, thrown to the middle of the field, no receivers in the middle. I thought it was intentional grounding right away. That 2 points made it impossible to try a late game field goal.
Deion Branch was there. 30 yards away? No. Deion was at the 35 and ball landed at then 45. Deion actually cut his route to the sidelines in the middle of it and would have easily gotten there if that had been the route.

Deion Branch was there. 30 yards away? No. Deion was at the 35 and ball landed at then 45. Deion actually cut his route to the sidelines in the middle of it and would have easily gotten there if that had been the route.

No, Deion was at the NE 25 and the ball landed at the 45. Whether Deion cut his route short is irrelevant and not the refs' problem.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 4.08.44 PM.png

Last edited:
No, Brady threw a long pass and did not intend to throw it to a receiver. it was clearly done to avoid taking a sack (by Justin Tuck I think). He did not throw it over any receiver’s head. This was set up by Steve Weatherford’s great punt to the Pats 5 yard line and BOB deciding to throw the ball on 1st down.
Happens all the time, never called. Show me one. Show me when that was ever called again.

Does it count against the QB as an incomplete pass? It can't, right?

I think it does, the same way a kneel down counts as a -1 yard rush. It's really killed Brady's yards per carry average over the years ;)

If he had said "throws it away before we can get there", there would be no problem. But, being a former Raven, and seemingly implying that it's because Brady's basically getting away with cheating, he deserves a full ration of ****.

If you have nothing to contribute staying silent is a perfectly acceptable option. A lot of people here don't seem to understand that.
Seemed pretty efficient to me. He didn't "take a shot" and the guy you're slamming wears the laundry.

Pats sign probably the best defensive player available in Free Agency...Pats fans twist their panties because he says Brady's almost impossible to sack.

We should release him and eat the money.

No one can question brady’s toughness on the field. The guy has played through injuries at times. Don’t know what judon was trying to imply.

On a side note I have never understood the logic of why spiking the ball in order to stop the clock is not intentional grounding.

Yep...When Zach McWilson's illegitimate father spiked the ball near the end of the 1st half of SB20, I was asking What the **** did he just do, and Why wasn't a delay of game penalty called?

Last edited:
Honestly, if Judon was still a Raven, I would laugh at this comment as being absurd. I know he probably meant "Brady throws the ball away" but the use of "intentionally grounding" makes it specific. It is the kind of thing that opposing defenders have always said and that we have ridiculed here for over a decade.

Yep...Where do we think Judon came up with those specific words? He's been fed that anti-Patriots/Brady rule-breaking garbage for 5 years now...

Seemed pretty efficient to me. He didn't "take a shot" and the guy you're slamming wears the laundry.

Pats sign probably the best defensive player available in Free Agency...Pats fans twist their panties because he says Brady's almost impossible to sack.

No he wasn't.

No he wasn't.
Go for it. Tell me who was better.

Actually, I'll give you one: Leonard Williams.

Judon is notoriously underrated - the Top 250 list had David Andrews ahead of him. I guess that's why the Ravens handed him $16m on a tag last year.

The knock on him are his sack totals - something BB has never stressed (ask Chandler Jones). Judon fits what the Pats want out of a DE/OLB perfectly.

Last edited:
If you mean it was a stupid penalty to call, then I agree.

If you mean it was a stupid play call by BOB/Skippy, then I also agree.
mostly I meant it was a stupid throw

I think looking at the intended purpose of the rule, the difference is that on a traditional intentional grounding play, you're robbing the defense of what should have been a chance at a big play (sack, fumble, flutter pass that could be picked, etc). On a spike play, you're basically declaring from the onset that this is a non-play. You're conceding a down immediately, as opposed to seeing if you can get some yards and then conceding the down after it's clear you're doomed.
Unless you cheat like the Dolphins did with Marino and fake the spike and throw a TD pass instead.

The odds of a safety being the first score of that SB was 1000/1. I remember that because I meant to put $100 on it but I was too busy going to bars chasing down my SB Square numbers and never got the bet in. :(

The odds of a safety being the first score of that SB was 1000/1. I remember that because I meant to put $100 on it but I was too busy going to bars chasing down my SB Square numbers and never got the bet in. :(
You would have won $100,000 LOL. Even 10 bucks for 10k would have been worth. ;)

As for Judon. I'm sure all the Ravens are coached to think that way. No ref ever calls intentional grounding for when Brady throws the ball because he knows the boundaries of what's grounding. As long as the ball goes somewhere in the vicinity of a receiver that will never get called. Well, except in that one Superbowl. :poop:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back