PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: New Patriots LB Judon on Tom Brady: “He intentionally grounds the ball every time”

Brady is the master at intentional grounding LEGALLY.

Judon's comment has a little bit of hyperbole and the headline get clicks but all in all...View attachment 33018
Probably would have been better if he said Brady has a quick release, if Brady just did nothing but grounding, I am not sure he would win much.

On a side note I have never understood the logic of why spiking the ball in order to stop the clock is not intentional grounding.
Because there is a rule that says spiking the ball at the line is not grounding.

The grounding at the start of SB 46 was ridiculous and you never see that called.

No, but it was textbook grounding. Tuck was in his face and he threw it to no one.

Also missed was an intentional grounding in SB 42 in the 3rd quarter. See 6:07 of the below video. Brady's in the pocket in the end zone with Kawika Mitchell and Tuck in his face and he throws to no one. If the Giants get the 2 points there and the ball back (and assuming they at least kick a field goal) it would have been another 5 points. Giants possibly up 15-14 after the Moss TD.

Last edited:
No, but it was textbook grounding. Tuck was in his face and he threw it to no one.

Also missed was an intentional grounding in SB 42 in the 3rd quarter. See 6:07 of the below video. Brady's in the pocket in the end zone with Kawika Mitchell and Tuck in his face and he throws to no one. If the Giants get the 2 points there and the ball back (and assuming they at least kick a field goal) it would have been another 5 points. Giants possibly up 15-14 after the Moss TD.

He threw it over the head of receiver, if that was grounding, there would be 20 a game. It was a bad call, and a call that never gets called, they picked the superbowl to call it.

How dumb do you have to be to sign with a team and within weeks take a shot at one of their ex players who was idolized by your current team's fan base and who is arguably the greatest athlete in any sport ever?
Just goes to show you can take the player out of Baltimore, but you can't the Baltimore out of a player. Just a classless organization of whiny, excuse making crybababy losers. Legitimately one of the most unlikeable franchises in the NFL. Hope he works out better than the last high priced Raven Bill signed.

I don't think that was a shot. "Brady's hard to sack because he's smart.". That's not an insult.

Then grounding would be called 30 times a game. I do not think he meant Brady is grounding. He said Brady is throwing the ball away and this is because Brady unlike a lot of QB's hates negative plays. An incomplete is better than a sack. Brady has a quick release and that quick release also connects to receivers too, so maybe he should have just said quick release.

That's it exactly. There's an article discussing the quick pass affecting the sack rates in the NFL and who is the best quick pass QB in league history? Brady.

That's it exactly. There's an article discussing the quick pass affecting the sack rates in the NFL and who is the best quick pass QB in league history? Brady.

That was always the case with Brady and why QB's that play behind the same line get sacked more than Brady. Cam this year, Winston last year, etc etc. Brady gets rid of the ball fast. I funny video is where that DE for the chargers was getting mad when Brady kept getting rid of the ball and he came up to brady and said, stop throwing the ball so fast, and Brady said stop getting here so quick.

He said Brady always grounds the ball, I think that is where the insult part came in.

I still think that's a compliment. Basically saying, "Brady wouldn't let us sack him".

Brady will take the hit if he sees the chance for a big play as we've seen over and over again but he's throwing it away if there's nothing there.

I still think that's a compliment. Basically saying, "Brady wouldn't let us sack him".

Brady will take the hit if he sees the chance for a big play as we've seen over and over again but he's throwing it away if there's nothing there.
I mean he used the word. Grounds, as if Brady is doing something against the rules. I mean he might not have meant it that way, but I could see where someone could take it bad.

That was always the case with Brady and why QB's that play behind the same line get sacked more than Brady. Cam this year, Winston last year, etc etc. Brady gets rid of the ball fast. I funny video is where that DE for the chargers was getting mad when Brady kept getting rid of the ball and he came up to brady and said, stop throwing the ball so fast, and Brady said stop getting here so quick.

I remember that. Funny stuff.

Because there is a rule that says spiking the ball at the line is not grounding.
I do realize there is a rule that says spiking the ball at the line is not intentional grounding.

What I don't understand is the pretzel logic that makes one intentional grounding okay, but other intentional grounding not okay.

If intentional grounding is a penalty, shouldn't the most blatantly obvious of all intentional grounding plays be a penalty?

I do realize there is a rule that says spiking the ball at the line is not intentional grounding.

What I don't understand is the pretzel logic that makes one intentional grounding okay, but other intentional grounding not okay.

If intentional grounding is a penalty, shouldn't the most blatantly obvious of all intentional grounding plays be a penalty?
I'm sorry I did not mean for that to sound as snarky as it did. I meant to say that they put in a special rule for that situation. Thats why it does not count as grounding.

On a side note I have never understood the logic of why spiking the ball in order to stop the clock is not intentional grounding.
I think it's because there are two eligible receivers right next to the QB when he's spiking it. They line up right at his heels. Usually

I mean he used the word. Grounds, as if Brady is doing something against the rules. I mean he might not have meant it that way, but I could see where someone could take it bad.

Well if someone wants to get upset about that that's up to them. Personally I don't think it was anything to worry about.

Well if someone wants to get upset about that that's up to them. Personally I don't think it was anything to worry about.
It does not take much. lol. Fans can make anything as a knock. Its not anything to worry about even if he said something bad. The bulletin board material thing is a bit overblown.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
Back