PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: New Patriots LB Judon on Tom Brady: “He intentionally grounds the ball every time”

I think it's because there are two eligible receivers right next to the QB when he's spiking it. They line up right at his heels. Usually
Actually its because they did make a special rule for grounding that does not apply to grounding. I mean technically the ball is behind the line of scrimmage, but it does not fall under that rule because of the provision they put in. I also thought the same thing and was pointed to a rule on it. Funny thing is, I also thought it was because of wear the receivers were lined up.

I think it's because there are two eligible receivers right next to the QB when he's spiking it. They line up right at his heels. Usually

Let's ask Roger Goodell about the integrity of the intentions of that type of pass play.

23375779-standard.jpg

Let's ask Roger Goodell about the integrity of the intentions of that type of pass play.

No...let's NOT ask Roger Goodell about "integrita" or intentions on anything. Let's ask him what he'd like for dinner in protective custody at Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary while he serves out his 10 year sentence for a multitude of federal crimes.

It does not leave a LOT of place to interpretation. "Any uncatchable pass" leaves a LOT of space to interpretation and that's dangerous.

I wouldn't call it dangerous but it is certainly true that the fewer judgement calls there are the better. Otherwise you end up with the same mess as offensive holding, PI or roughing the passer.

Actually its because they did make a special rule for grounding that does not apply to grounding. I mean technically the ball is behind the line of scrimmage, but it does not fall under that rule because of the provision they put in. I also thought the same thing and was pointed to a rule on it. Funny thing is, I also thought it was because of wear the receivers were lined up.
Ahh ok yea I didn't know that. I was thinking I could've sworn I've seen the ball spiked even without the spike formation

It does not take much. lol. Fans can make anything as a knock. Its not anything to worry about even if he said something bad. The bulletin board material thing is a bit overblown.
Many here will probably use it in week 4 for just that purpose, I guess.

How dumb do you have to be to sign with a team and within weeks take a shot at one of their ex players who was idolized by your current team's fan base and who is arguably the greatest athlete in any sport ever?
Just goes to show you can take the player out of Baltimore, but you can't the Baltimore out of a player. Just a classless organization of whiny, excuse making crybababy losers. Legitimately one of the most unlikeable franchises in the NFL. Hope he works out better than the last high priced Raven Bill signed.

smh

Last edited:
I do realize there is a rule that says spiking the ball at the line is not intentional grounding.

What I don't understand is the pretzel logic that makes one intentional grounding okay, but other intentional grounding not okay.

If intentional grounding is a penalty, shouldn't the most blatantly obvious of all intentional grounding plays be a penalty?

I think looking at the intended purpose of the rule, the difference is that on a traditional intentional grounding play, you're robbing the defense of what should have been a chance at a big play (sack, fumble, flutter pass that could be picked, etc). On a spike play, you're basically declaring from the onset that this is a non-play. You're conceding a down immediately, as opposed to seeing if you can get some yards and then conceding the down after it's clear you're doomed.

He said Brady always grounds the ball, I think that is where the insult part came in.
Yep basically he said I can’t sack him because he grounds the ball and gets away everytime. Basically implying that he avoid sack by breaking the rule.

Groundinggate. I think a suspension for the first 4 weeks is the right call. :cool:

Groundinggate. I think a suspension for the first 4 weeks is the right call. :cool:

Obviously I know you're joking, but imagine you're one of the people who pays $42,000 for a seat to see Brady's return to Foxboro, and he gets suspended for something asinine again. I would sue the crap out of the NFL (and lose, but still).

Spiking the ball to stop the clock is a unique play. It not only avoids "intentional grounding", it's the only incomplete pass where the ball is spotted where it hits the ground.

Brady's pocket awareness and understanding of down and distance and almost always making the right read/play is why he is the GOAT. None of it is sexy like watching Mahomes throw a laser while falling down but all of it leads to positive plays which in turn leads to wins. I don't get the sense that Judon is saying Brady is getting away with something illegal. He is expressing his frustration at trying to sack him because he gets rid of the ball no matter what. Taking a sack to Brady is like pouring vinegar in his eyes. He knows it means death to the drive which means death to scoring which means losing the game. I think it is a really high compliment actually because he is not saying Brady is some crazy athlete like Vick or Jackson who can just escape. He is saying he is the smartest QB with the ball in his hand which makes him the toughest to sack.

It's also interesting to me that Brady is already in Judon's head. LOL

It’s the way he was coached for 2 decades. Avoid negative plays. Nothing wrong with an incompletion but don’t get sacked.

So when a play breaks down, throw it at the feet of the eligible receiver 2 feet away who stayed in to block. It’s smart quarterbacking.

Of course its savy, but if you go for the spirit of the rule any uncatchable passes should still end up as grounding.
No. No they really shouldn’t.

Could you imagine the cluster**** of arguments that would ensue every time a ball was thrown at some guy’s feet? The refs sitting there figuring out if it was “catchable”?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back