PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My problem with Bill Belichick as a coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want it on record before he blows up and it gets labeled “in hindsight” that we should’ve taken Anthony miller. Thought he would be a very good fit in our offense.

Any similar thread to this should start as follows: "Notwithstanding the five Super Bowl trophies and additional three Super Bowl appearances, my problem with Bill Belichick is ......"

I mean you have pretty much proven at the start of your second sentence that you don't understand football much.
There are a bunch of posters on here like Sims and Nunchucks and a few others who think because they have been to a bunch of games or have season tix that they automatically understand the game. It is funny to watch them post their pinkhat hawt takes over and over thinking that they understand football.

Any similar thread to this should start as follows: "Notwithstanding the five Super Bowl trophies and additional three Super Bowl appearances, my problem with Bill Belichick is ......"
We only tolerate perfection here.

How about "As evidenced by the attempt to trade Gronkowski, the inability to put enough wide receiving talent around Tom Brady, and the mostly mediocre defenses he's had for more than a decade,my problem with Bill Belichick is...."?

I mean, if we're going to be asshats about it, let's do it from both sides.

Belichick's job is to win games or A GAME? I will say his job is never to win A SB but to stay competitive enough to win MANY SB. If sticking to his core value is the only way he knows how to do it, then good for us.
Translation: "Damn, losing the Super Bowl sucked... but it's for the greater good, because Belichick's philosophy didn't take a hit!!!"

You are downplaying the importance of coaching and maintaining a winning culture way too much. You should rewatch DJY a few times to remind yourself how much effort goes into creating gameplans, finding weaknesses and trying to design mismatches.

The only reason Butler was in position to make the INT in SB49 is because the staff identified what the Seahawks liked to do in the endzone from tape, came up with a way to counter it and gave him (and others) reps in practice. So when it happened on the field he already knew exactly what to do.

I know that BB publicly has this humble schtick about coaches losing games and players winning but the reality is that most games in the NFL are won and lost on the practice field.

This is a discussion that can go round and round and will never be proven by either side. Maybe we can agree that we wouldn't have a dynasty without either one of them.

This is a discussion that can go round and round and will never be proven by either side. Maybe we can agree that we wouldn't have a dynasty without either one of them.

When have we as posters ever unanimously agreed on anything?

There are a few things we can agree on besides the fact that the Pats aren't a dynasty without either Brady or Belichick.

Marvin Lewis can't coach.
Jim and John Harbaugh are crybabies.
The Jete suck.

It's a message board, not a team owned blog. It's ok if people here don't think everything is always perfect in Patriots land.
I agree. I am not sure why though people expect BB to be perfect. He makes mistakes and quite a few of them. I am not a fan of constantly defending our defensive performance with the pts scored stat all the time . butler benching was a mistake . But mistakes are part of the game. But it seems there is always something some on this board pay attention to quite a lot , quite frequently. Its okay to say "my problem with bill belichick as coach" if someone can suggest at alternative at coaching . He is who he is and more flexible than most but wont change certain things for better or worse. We are "stuck" with him if thats how people want to think.

Tightening the generic question: does this mean you'd rather have Pete Carroll as your coach, instead of Bill Belichick?

Thing is, you can't get just part of any coach's style, you have to take the whole package. You get Carroll's player-favorable lax discipline along with his turning the defense loose for boom or bust plays. You get Rex Ryan's swagger and attitude along with his utter inability to focus on results.

I see Carroll's aggressive D as part of his player management style. He's turning his players loose to make big plays on D because it's a big feel-good moment even if the times they miss hurt worse than the times they hit. I'll take BB's results-oriented approach, as it's the bottom line that matters not a momentary peak before the ultimate loss.

No question, I take Belichick. But on Sundays when we are allowing first down after first down, I find myself screaming at the TV for an overload blitz or a big hit.

Belichick's defense works because he plays the percentages and relies on errors from the opponent coupled with stiff red zone D. It is what it is...

Meanwhile, I am liking how Seattle's D looks right now after all of those personne losses. The Griffin bros are helping out a lot and they didn't even have Wagner last week..yet looked good...yeah..Bears offense..I know.

I have my gripes with BB. The biggest one is that he’s left some possible trips to the Super Bowl on the table.

And they were really lucky to win the last two Super Bowls.

If the statement made was, "Tom Brady is the greatest QB who ever lived." Would there be a "disagree"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes