PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My problem with Bill Belichick as a coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I know this post isn't going to get me a lot of likes. Probably a lot of dislikes if anything. So first let me say the following.

#1 Bill Belichick is the best coach in NFL history. There is no coach I'd rather have.
#2 Bill has had to build this team mostly picking at the bottom of the draft. That no doubt effects the quality of talent you can put out on the field.
#3 Bill probably builds his scheme with #2 in mind.

Okay, now lets move along. There is something about Bill Belichick teams coached defenses in recent years to me that just seems to miss the mark. When I look at other great defenses around the league there seems to always be one complaint that sticks out that we often here. Bill's Ds don't attack and that puts them on the back foot. If you are not attacking you are reacting. Such a scheme allows players like Blake Bortles and Nick Foles to have amazing games against you at times. On the upside it usually means you don't give up the big play often.

I want to focus on Bill's HC days in New England.

2000-2007 years - This to me and most people here was the golden age of the Patriots Defense. Particularly the dynasty years. So here is my question. Why can't this seem to be repeated? One of the reasons is no doubt the talent this team fielded on D as well dirt cheap probowl QB play allowed them to spend more on that side of the ball and other places. But I think there is something more too it.

One of the things that I theorize made this D better than the current ones is this: The key players in this group were not developed under Bill Belichick. Even the ones that were, such as Seymour, had a room full of vets they could look up to and learn from that weren't taught as a rookie to do it Bill's way. I think there's something to that.

Look as Bruschi's 2004 interview post 2004 AFCCG. "We play, that's what we do. We don't talk. We play. You come to Foxboro, its gonna be snowing, its gonna be cold. Come on in here! you wanna say all you want? You wanna change the rules? Change them! We still play, and we win."

Can you imagine ANY player coached under BB these days saying something like that? Nope. Why not? Cause they were taught from day 1 since being drafted to keep their trap shut to the media. Bruschi was told that too. The difference is he didn't hear it as a rookie. He learned to play under someone else and only later under BB's scheme and coaching was his full talent unleashed. But there was an attitude and swagger there.

This is the main issue BB has as a coach. He systematically beats the swagger and attitude out of his players from day one. He wants his guys to play the system. Do their job. Don't talk. Get back and don't do anything they aren't told.

There isn't anything wrong with that system. It has worked with varying success over a VERY LONG period of time. But the time when it works the best is when you have players who understand what you are telling them to do, but then see a play to be made and have the balls to try to go and make it. Who don't talk too much but aren't afraid to show attitude and punch someone else in the mouth. Who know its a bad idea to take a penalty but aren't afraid to lay the wood on someone, even if it means a free 15 yards.

Rodney Harrison is the best free agent BB ever brought in here on defense IMO and I think most would agree. Why that worked is so well is for a few reasons. Harrison understood what BB wanted to do. Harrison mostly did it. Harrison is a great player. The other reason it worked so well is because Harrison at times did things BB didn't preach. He talked trash. He set a tone. He hit hard and made offensive players scared to go near him. He played with a swagger and attitude that was instilled into him by his success of doing it his way and having it work for him before BB got him here.

This isn't to say he played outside the defensive system. But he wasn't afraid to trust his instincts, not do his assigned job and take a risk when he felt it was the right thing to do that play. And he was usually right to do it.

Lets take a look at the best defensive players BB ever developed.

Seymour - An all pro player but one whose job was mostly to take up 2 guys. This is a good player but not the guy who makes a game winning play often.

Wilfork - A great nose tackle who took up space and held/pushed the pocket well. This is a good player but not the guy who makes a game winning play often.

Vrabel - He player 4 years in Pitt but really came into his own here. He learned a lot under BB but also had mentors such as McGinest, Johnson and Bruschi. He did occasionally make game winning players but he was partly brought up in a different culture than the BB one due to his days in Pitt and having successful players that mentored him that weren't brought up in BB's culture.

McCourty - A very good safety (but failed CB) who plays back and tends to prevent big plays. He is more the guy who tries to prevent a play than make a play.

Hightower - A very good run stuffing LB who has shown some good pass rush at times. He has made game changing plays.

Jones - A very good DE but has had his best year with his new team.

Samuel - He is probably the best CB BB ever developed here. He also got a reputation as a risk taker and gambler which is something BB hates. One of the only players who could play within the system but not be afraid to take risk. BB let him go in 2008

May0 - A tackling machine but not a play maker.

Most of the best defensive players BB developed are not the guys you ask to make the big play in the big moment. They are more about holding the line and getting back to prevent a bigger play from being made.

We need to remember that this was not the norm in those early golden years. This was a D that often got after it, hit hard and set the tone. It played with a calculated aggressiveness. It played within the confines of what BB wanted them to do and they were smart enough to understand that. But at times they also just let it rip and played ball.

That is something almost all the players BB mentored from day 1 have lacked, and I don't think it is purely a talent issue. I think it come from BB getting to into a players head and making them robotic and reactive as opposed to proactive.

Now that the roster has completely turned over and all influence of those pre-BB players are gone we are seeing how this D looks. And it frankly hasn't been good enough.

in 2014 the Pats finally managed to break through after bring into Revis/Browner. Not to mention the heroics of Butler. Let's not forgot this game was won 28-24. To lose they would have had to give up 31 points to a young and fairly lackluster run first offense. And they almost did. They had 1 great play but giving up 31 points to that offense would have been considered a below average defensive performance.

In 2016 they won with a very improbably comeback. The 2016 D was the best D ever built by Belichick with mostly BB players. Giving up only 21 defensive points is a great feat here and that alone may shoot a massive hole into my argument. However a few things are worth pointing out. Matt Ryan the the Falcons offensive massively choked this game away. Time and again the let chances slip through their fingers to put points on the board. They played passively when they should have played aggressive and aggressive when they should have played passive. Also they didn't even run the clock down.

I am not trying to say they didn't earn those championships cause they did. But they weren't IMO so much amazing defensive performances as making 1 big defensive play each game and having things fall their way. I felt like a lot was left to be desired in those D performances.

The problem is I don't know what they can do to fix this. You don't let BB walk but I think it is one of the only holes he has a a coach. No one is perfect though.

Last edited:
Let me know when the book comes out. The Patriots draft at the bottom every year, yet are more successful than teams who get first pick of the talent.

That's because they try not to give up easy scores. They are patient. You want them to have "amazing performances" at the risk of giving up easy touchdowns instead of boringly allowing teams yardage and no score, or maybe a field goal.

This is how we consistently give up yards where it doesn't matter instead of scores.

There are lots of teams that are exciting in the first half and lose a lot, if that's what you want.

Also, BB is credited with being a pretty decent defensive coach. Game plan in the hall of fame and all that.

You want to "fix" a defense that is part of the most successful team in football. Why?

BB inherited a core of defensive players in their prime. That's why he had a great defense. He also had the #6 pick in the draft in Seymour. He has not and will not have that defensive core of affordable talent again unless they lose or eliminate the draft.

I think the coverage rules for DBs has forced his hand. I’ve thought for awhile his philosophy has boiled down to this: everyone is going to move the ball, so get good red zone players and be less concerned about what happens before they get within scoring range. 3s instead of 7s will win you almost every game when your offense is that good. The guys they typically pay a lot for like Wilfork, Hightower, Gilmore, McCourty, etc are physical players who are especially good with a shorter field. I think that’s a lot of the reason Bill likes certain CBs who make us scratch our heads is because they can jam and be physical in coverage near the goal line. Their defense philosophy is a lot like the “quicksand philosophy”. The further down the field the offense gets, the more they start to struggle against the Patriots personnel.

Has this always worked? Definitely not. But they are still way up there in points allowed since their defense lost its championship core of the 2000s. Roughly 28 fanbases think their defense sucks at any given time.

From 2001 - 2007 we had pro bowl level talent at every level, and more then that, we had playmakers at every level.

DL - All pro talents in Seymour and Wilfork

LB - pro bowl level talent in Bruschi and McGinnest. 3 big time playmakers (McGinnest, Bruschi, Vrabel)

Secondary - All pro talents in Law and Harrison.

The only pro bowl level talent we have on D right now is Gilmore.

I think BB is amazing to change up his “D first” philosophy and win two more SBs years later with an O leading the way.

BB’s willingness to adapt is what keeps them on top.

Not fully relevant to your post, but I really don't like the "no talent at the end of the round" argument. Sure, it's more difficult to hit on those pics, but there's plenty of talent there.

Starting from 2015, the last time before this year we had a 1st rounder: Landon Collins, Devin Funchess, Jalen Collins, Bernardrick McKinney, and Eric Kendricks could have all been realistic targets for the 1st. Tyler Lockett, Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, Jordan Hicks, Tyler Kroft, and David Johnson realistic for the 2nd. Daryl Williams, Jamison Crowder with a few spots of Geneo Grissom in the 3rd. 4th was hit in both rounds. Grady Jarrett, Adrian Amos, Stefon Diggs, Jay Ajayi, Cedric Thompson all in the 5th round. Obviously, we didn't all know that they would be good players, but there's always talent - the team just has to find it.

In 2014, our 1st was a big bust. Others within a reasonable space were Bradley Roby, DeMarcus Lawrence, Joel Bitonio, Jordan Matthews, Lamarcus Joyner, Weston Richburg, Tuitt, Trent Murphy, Jernigan, D. Adams. 2nd was hit... I guess, but players like Christian Kirksey, Trent Murphy, Gabe Jackson were also near there. By our next pick, we could've gone with Martavis Bryant or Tre Boston. Players that we could've easily gotten if necessary later include Telvin Smith, Aaron Lynch, EJ Gaines, Duvernay-Tardif, Enunwa, etc. Again, not star talent everywhere, but we could've gotten key players despite our position.

2013, Instead of Dobson with our 2nd rder, we coulda gone Kelce, Lacy, Mathieu, Terron Armstead, Keenan Allen just a bit away. In the 4th, Alex Okafor, David Bakhtiari, Gerald Hodges were also there and taken within a dozen or so picks.

2016, rather than Cyrus Jones with the 2nd rounder, we coulda gone Byard, Ngakoue, Kenyan Drake, all within 15 picks later. Instead of Valentine, Justin Simmons, Joe Schobert were there. Sprinkle Tyreek Hill in there too.

Overall:
Cyrus Jones -> Yannick Ngakoue
Malcolm Brown -> Bernardick McKinney or Landon Collins
Jordan Richards -> Danielle Hunter or David Johnson
Geneo Grisson - Daryl Williams
Tre Jackson - Stefon Diggs or Grady Jarrett
Dominique Easley -> DeMarcus Lawrence
Bryan Stork -> Martavis Bryant
Cam Fleming -> Telvin Smith
Dobson -> Kelce or Allen or Mathieu

Pick 2 or 3 of those swaps and this team looks different. There is talent around the draft, even within a dozen spots of where we may make a bust draft pick.

Now that the roster has completely turned over and all influence of those pre-BB players are gone we are seeing how this D looks. And it frankly hasn't been good enough.

First, they have been a top 10 D the last 6 years and they were the top D 2 years ago (16) and top 5 last year (17). Won it all in 14.

Second, they have played 2 games so far. Last year they were abysmal in the beginning of the year (and unfortunately at the end) and it always seems like they are tinkering with the D the first part of the season.

I am not sure what people are looking for except perfection, which dosent exist.

Also, if the other team is forced to move in small increments, the defense has more opportunities for turnovers. If our best players stay healthy and together, they will develop the trust to make plays because they cover each other so their is little risk.

BB does not like to gamble. That's why they have gamblers anonymous, not value investors anonymous. If healthy, this team has the talent to play different styles once they play together and cover each other.

I would take more issue with B.B. the gm then Bill the coach.
"BB the GM" has fielded championship-caliber teams for nearly two decades - picking at the end of the draft every year.

He could get in the HoF just for that. That's not supposed to happen. It's supposed to be Seattle, or the Faulk/Warner Rams, if you get lucky.

My only real pet peeve of Bill the coach is that lately, seemingly since 4th and 2, he's been too conservative on 4th down. The mystics and statistics say that he should go for it more often.
The 4th and inches call the other day was bad. I can't believe there were posters here defending that call. Down by 2 scores with 8 minutes left, with your gassed D and the best sneak QB ever? It was INCHES!!!!

Look as Bruschi's 2004 interview post 2004 AFCCG. "We play, that's what we do. We don't talk. We play. You come to Foxboro, its gonna be snowing, its gonna be cold. Come on in here! you wanna say all you want? You wanna change the rules? Change them! We still play, and we win."

Can you imagine ANY player coached under BB these days saying something like that? Nope. Why not? Cause they were taught from day 1 since being draft to keep their trap shut to the media. Bruschi was told that too. The difference is he didn't hear it as a rookie. He learned to play under someone else and only later under BB's scheme and coaching was his full talent unleashed. But there was an attitude and swagger there.

You're factually incorrect here. Bruschi joined the team under Parcells with Belichick as the Asst. Head Coach in 1996. If you think he wasn't told to keep his mouth shut as a rookie, then you are deluding yourself.

This is the main issue BB has as a coach. He systematically beats the swagger and attitude out of his players from day one. He wants his guys to play the system. Do their job. Don't talk. Get back and don't do anything they aren't told.

We'll agree to disagree here. Belichick believes that there is a time and place for swagger and attitude. Which is on the field only. Not on the practice field. Not in front of the media. On the field when you're doing your job.

The idea that they aren't supposed to do anything they aren't told is also fallacy. We learned that from Tedy. You have to EARN the right to "free lance". Tedy did so. Vrabel did so. Seau and Rodney did so. 99% of the time, when they did so, there was nothing detrimental to the team.

Lets take a look at the best defensive players BB ever developed.

Seymour - An all pro player but one whose job was mostly to take up 2 guys. This is a good player but not the guy who makes a game winning play often.

Wilfork - A great nose tackle who took up space and held/pushed the pocket well. This is a good player but not the guy who makes a game winning play often.

Vrabel - He player 4 years in Pitt but really came into his own here. He learned a lot under BB but also had mentors such as McGinest, Johnson and Bruschi. He did occasionally make game winning players but he was partly brought up in a different culture than the BB one due to his days in Pitt and having successful players that mentored him that weren't brought up in BB's culture.

McCourty - A very good safety (but failed CB) who plays back and tends to prevent big plays. He is more the guy who tries to prevent a play than make a play.

Hightower - A very good run stuffing LB who has shown some good pass rush at times. He has made game changing plays.

Jones - A very good DE but has had his best year with his new team.

Samuel - He is probably the best CB BB ever developed here. He also got a reputation as a risk taker and gambler which is something BB hates. One of the only players who could play within the system but not be afraid to take risk. BB let him go in 2008

May0 - A tackling machine but not a play maker.

Bruschi became the star we know under Belichick. Prior to that he was a part-time player who wasn't effectively used.

BB let Samuel go because of his failures in the SB loss to the Giants where he showed he didn't really care what happened. THAT'S why BB let him go.

This idea that Mayo wasn't a "play-maker" just causes me to shake my head. It tells me that you think that Making plays is only about the Sack, fumble or interception and it's not..

I am not trying to say they didn't earn those championships cause they did. But they weren't IMO as much amazing defensive performances as much as making 1 big play each game and giving up big plays but having things fall their way at times too. I felt like a lot was left to be desired in those D performances. And has been for a while.

The problem is I don't know what they can do to fix this. You don't let BB walk but I think it is one of the only holes he has a a coach. No one is perfect though.

So. essentially, the whole premise of your thread is that you're upset that BB hasn't put together consistently dominant defenses that perform up to your expectations (whatever those actually are). Seems to me that you're ignoring several salient points:

1. The league has taken two first round draft picks from the Patriots, hamstringing the team.
  2. The impact of drafting in the lower half of every round and in the bottom 8 picks of each round more often than not.
  3. The impact of the salary cap.
  4. The talent of other teams.
  5. The league changing the rules to favor offenses.

"BB the GM" has fielded championship-caliber teams for nearly two decades - picking at the end of the draft every year.

He could get in the HoF just for that. That's not supposed to happen. It's supposed to be Seattle, or the Faulk/Warner Rams, if you get lucky.

Fair enough..however you can say the same for Bill the coach.

I say more issue with Bill the GM then coach as he has had quite a few head scratchers in the draft and in some other areas.

The 4th and inches call the other day was bad. I can't believe there were posters here defending that call. Down by 2 scores with 8 minutes left, with your gassed D and the best sneak QB ever? It was INCHES!!!!

The defense was also playing good at that moment.

I tell my wife if I was a head NFL coach I would go for it every 4th down just like I do in Madden.

From 2001 - 2007 we had pro bowl level talent at every level, and more then that, we had playmakers at every level.

DL - All pro talents in Seymour and Wilfork

LB - pro bowl level talent in Bruschi and McGinnest. 3 big time playmakers (McGinnest, Bruschi, Vrabel)

Secondary - All pro talents in Law and Harrison.

The only pro bowl level talent we have on D right now is Gilmore.

Ding ding ding, what do we have for him Johnny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes