PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More greed from the NFL....

Bring back Carol Channing!

singer-carol-channing-performs-at-halftime-of-super-bowl-vi-on-16-picture-id499165918

Holy crap - I just Googled her - - she's still alive at 96!

She's like the Tom Brady of annoying-voiced entertainers.

I'd be fine with nothing, and get the second half started in 15 minutes like a normal game. There's enough wacky circumstance around the Super Bowl that it's almost a different game altogether.
I think the Half Time show, as well as the wacky week leading up to the Super Bowl are now part of the Patriots competitive advantage in the game; they've been through it so many times that it gives them a leg up on a team that hasn't been there forever. Look how smart they were this year...they arrived on Monday, which was also a media day. So, the combined a wasted travel day with a wasted media circus. Atlanta, on the other hand, arrived the day before and sat around for two wasted days.

Clearly, in February, the Pats just had a greater awareness of where they were and what they were doing as the second half moved on. Also, the half time show allows anxiety and anticipation to build in the other team, whereas Belichick was able to convince the team that "We got this." Atlanta had nothing left by the end of the third quarter and it was like the Patriots had decided..."OK, now it's time to get to business."

Belichick once talked somewhere about how he planned around the events of the week...planned for the long delay between when they leave the field after pre-game warmups and come back out at the start of the game...how they have to plan the team's meals differently because of the odd 6:30 start time, instead of 1, 4 or 8/8:30. How they have to manage the 30+ minute delay between halves...

Shouldn't it be the other way around.
Top artists bring in "who gives a sh*t about the SB" viewers and keeps most viewers focused on their TVs and the network's commercials during the 30 minutes of halftime inactivity.

My guess....the billionaires club is trying to recoup lost $$$ now that they stopped charging for military tributes.

I vote for a real life celebrity death match at halftime!!!

Kim Kardasian vs. Anyone

With all the entertainers getting political lately, it is going to be tough just to pick someone that a certain group isn't going to complain about.

Business exists to seek profit.
If they can get a musician to pay them to be the halftime show it would be beyond stupid to not.

There is a phenomenon now where realtors ask mortgage lenders to pay for their advertising and in turn they will refer their clients to that lender. Some make the lender pay them rent for a desk in their office that they do not even use

If you are a realtor would you not do this because it's insulting to the professional lender to charge them since you have the ability to publicize them and make them more money?

Just because it's the NFL doesn't mean it's bad.
If the NFL had decided long ago it's purpose was something other than profit seeking there wouldn't be an NFL today.

I disagree with this... there's more to a business than taking money. If you can't see past the take, you do more damange than good to your brand in the long run at times.

The NFL should be about maximimizing the value of the NFL. Sometimes that means indulging in crazy profit taking activities, but not at the expense of the PR and prestige of the league.

Don't care. Jay-Z is the most talent-less, most overrated music "artist" in the history of music. He is garbage and I (used to) listen to rap/hip-hop. I guess growing up on Run DMC>Beastie Boys>Public Enemy>NWA>Cypress Hill>Dr. Dre>Tupac>Eminem spoiled me. The only thing I like about him is that his wife is very doable. He must be the greatest promoter in the history of the industry to make as much $ as he has. I would rather listen to Surf MC's (Surf!...Or Die! lol) then him.

Don't care. Jay-Z is the most talent-less, most overrated music "artist" in the history of music. He is garbage and I (used to) listen to rap/hip-hop. I guess growing up on Run DMC>Beastie Boys>Public Enemy>NWA>Cypress Hill>Dr. Dre>Tupac>Eminem spoiled me. The only thing I like about him is that his wife is very doable. He must be the greatest promoter in the history of the industry to make as much $ as he has. I would rather listen to Surf MC's (Surf!...Or Die! lol) then him.

Jay-Z is not the story.

Impossible to top U2's halftime show. Impossible.

The Dyslexic's Scrabble Championship would outdo U2 - or any other HT show.

Sorry - I find U2 to be way overrated.

The Dyslexic's Scrabble Championship would outdo U2 - or any other HT show.

Sorry - I find U2 to be way overrated.

Battle of the contemporary bands -- who's better, U2 or REM?

The correct answer is the B-52s.

I think the Half Time show, as well as the wacky week leading up to the Super Bowl are now part of the Patriots competitive advantage in the game; they've been through it so many times that it gives them a leg up on a team that hasn't been there forever. Look how smart they were this year...they arrived on Monday, which was also a media day. So, the combined a wasted travel day with a wasted media circus. Atlanta, on the other hand, arrived the day before and sat around for two wasted days.

What you are saying makes sense except...

Pats were 3-0 in 1st 3 Super Bowls
Pats were 2-2 in the last 4

So your supposed competitive advantage doesn't seem to be showing up.

I'm a huge U2 fan. Been since the early 80s.

Even though the band has been on the downswing since the mid 90s, the 01 1/2 time show was epic.

Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2011 was also awesome but I love those guys

U2 on the downswing since the 90s?

U2 on the downswing since the 90s?

Yep. It just happens to bands. Look at the Rolling Stones. Every album after Exile on Main St was just ok or crappy

Same with U2. Everything after Achtung Baby is ok to meh. Then they had that dance music phase. Christ. All That You Cant Leave Behind was a good comeback and Atomic Bomb was decent but it isn't in the same ballpark as the earlier stuff. Everything since has been meh.

With that said I've purchased every lick of music they've churned out and have seen them in concert dozens of times since AB.

The Joshua Tree concert at Gillette was awesome.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back