PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More greed from the NFL....

Patsfanin Philly

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Per Florio at PFT, Jay Z turned down the opportunity to perform at halftime of the Super Bowl..and then this little tidbit at the end...

Jay Z reportedly turns down Super Bowl halftime show

>>>It’s not a denial by any means, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if Jay Z and others pass, if it’s true that the league has been making aggressive financial requests (including a percentage of concert ticket sales) based on the potential value to the artist of performing on the biggest platform in music.<<<

If I am reading this correctly, the league wants money from the performers because the performer may sell more tickets based on performing at the Super Bowl..... Maybe I should send them a bill for every time I wear my Pats jersey since it increases the value of their league....
You could argue it is capitalism and give them credit for squeezing every dollar they can, but if I am a top flight performer, I tell the league to p*ss off.....
And we'll end up with Barry Manilow or the Osmonds doing the halftime ( bathroom break/dinner time) show.....
To me it's the league offices thinking they are bigger than they are...article 46 and all and they can do what they want...... I can't believe McCartney or Springsteen would ever have agreed to that pre-condition...

I think that real football fans don't care much who does the halftime show. It's for the people at the parties who don't even know what teams are playing. I for one would be fine with a marching band!

All you can do is minimize your financial footprint when it comes to enjoying the NFL product........I enjoy the games with my friends, so I pay little attention to the commercials.......my Ty Warren number 92 jersey that I got at marshalls for 7 bucks in 2003 is the last NFL product I have purchased......

just don't give 'em a dime......if they want to believe they are earning money on the commercials because you are watching the game, so be it.....that's the max they will benefit

I think that real football fans don't care much who does the halftime show. It's for the people at the parties who don't even know what teams are playing. I for one would be fine with a marching band!

I'd be fine with nothing, and get the second half started in 15 minutes like a normal game. There's enough wacky circumstance around the Super Bowl that it's almost a different game altogether.

In the link to Florio's article it speculated Jay Zs reasoning could be linked to Kapernick and Elliott.

Unless the artist is on the downside and/or on the verge of announcing a new release supported by a tour, I cannot imagine why they would agree to such absurd terms.

Last edited:
Per Florio at PFT, Jay Z turned down the opportunity to perform at halftime of the Super Bowl..and then this little tidbit at the end...

>>>It’s not a denial by any means, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if Jay Z and others pass, if it’s true that the league has been making aggressive financial requests (including a percentage of concert ticket sales) based on the potential value to the artist of performing on the biggest platform in music.<<<

If I am reading this correctly, the league wants money from the performers because the performer may sell more tickets based on performing at the Super Bowl..... Maybe I should send them a bill for every time I wear my Pats jersey since it increases the value of their league....
You could argue it is capitalism and give them credit for squeezing every dollar they can, but if I am a top flight performer, I tell the league to p*ss off.....
And we'll end up with Barry Manilow or the Osmonds doing the halftime ( bathroom break/dinner time) show.....
To me it's the league offices thinking they are bigger than they are...article 46 and all and they can do what they want...... I can't believe McCartney or Springsteen would ever have agreed to that pre-condition...

Bring back Carol Channing!

singer-carol-channing-performs-at-halftime-of-super-bowl-vi-on-16-picture-id499165918

I'd be fine with nothing, and get the second half started in 15 minutes like a normal game. There's enough wacky circumstance around the Super Bowl that it's almost a different game altogether.

I agree. I couldn't give a rats fart for the 1/2 time show.

I'd rather they didn't do a halftime show at all, so if they want to put off every act that people would actually tune in to see with a bunch of ridiculous demands then that's completely fine by me.

Business exists to seek profit.
If they can get a musician to pay them to be the halftime show it would be beyond stupid to not.

There is a phenomenon now where realtors ask mortgage lenders to pay for their advertising and in turn they will refer their clients to that lender. Some make the lender pay them rent for a desk in their office that they do not even use

If you are a realtor would you not do this because it's insulting to the professional lender to charge them since you have the ability to publicize them and make them more money?

Just because it's the NFL doesn't mean it's bad.
If the NFL had decided long ago it's purpose was something other than profit seeking there wouldn't be an NFL today.

Impossible to top U2's halftime show. Impossible.

I'm a huge U2 fan. Been since the early 80s.

Even though the band has been on the downswing since the mid 90s, the 01 1/2 time show was epic.

Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2011 was also awesome but I love those guys

But that would leave money on the table...

There is a difference between seeking a fair profit and seeking to eek out every last penny. That used to be understood by most people. Today, we justify all manner of bad behaviors under the heading of "just business" because of that drive to make every possible penny, and we are morally and spiritually worse off for it.

If they can get a musician to pay them to be the halftime show it would be beyond stupid to not.

There is a phenomenon now where realtors ask mortgage lenders to pay for their advertising and in turn they will refer their clients to that lender. Some make the lender pay them rent for a desk in their office that they do not even use

If you are a realtor would you not do this because it's insulting to the professional lender to charge them since you have the ability to publicize them and make them more money?

Just because it's the NFL doesn't mean it's bad.
If the NFL had decided long ago it's purpose was something other than profit seeking there wouldn't be an NFL today.
I'm not denying them the profit, $12 beers at the stadium and $300 NFL Sunday ticket aside and $200 jerseys but my point is at what point does profit extend into greed, trying to dip their fingers into the pie down the pipeline ( future concert sales that in no way are related directly to the NFL).?? They are at risk of killing the golden goose.
They have the stronger position bargaining wise (just ask the NFLPA) but it just seems unseemly for them to be asking for a cut of future concert sales because they deigned to let the performer sing at the Super Bowl.... They will find some artist who will agree but I'm willing to bet many take the Jay Z approach and say, " bye Felicia"
Martin Shkreli had a right to make a profit on his HIV drug but it doesn't make it right to jack up the price from $13 to $5000......
But it being the NFL, they don't get the benefit of the doubt, based on past performance...

Depends on the quality of the performer. If all top-talent performers refuse to pay, it would not be wise to get some second rate act no one ever heard of. I highly doubt the halftime sponsor, Pepsi, would approve if that. They could stand to lose (or alienate) the bigger cash cow.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back