PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Monday Night Football Week 5: Bakers vs Jimmies

The recency bias is ridiculous. Anyone who looked at Cleveland's schedule in August would have told you they'd have a losing record by this time. Mayfield looks like **** and a completely different QB from who he was last year but declaring him a bust right now is some Max Kellerman kneejerk idiocy. Everyone taking a victory lap right now...why?

While it's too soon to call Mayfield a bust:

He's a second year player who's regressed from his rookie season. He's learned that, unlike Lamar Jackson, he can't outrun the defenders coming against him. He's learning that he can't throw over opposing DLs. He's lost his accuracy, probably because of failing mechanics. His decision making is piss poor at times, both on and off the field, and he's got a wildly overblown sense of his current ability level.

Now, you can rail about recency bias even though that's not what's going on here, or you can acknowledge that the kid's playing like **** and getting the criticism that he richly deserves.

Whatever works for you...

To highlight one of the points made above:

Richard Sherman was annoyed with Baker Mayfield before the game even started.

In fact, it was the Browns quarterback’s refusal to shake hands during the pregame coin toss that had the 49ers corner on edge.

“What’s amazing, and annoying, was him not shaking hands at the beginning,” Sherman told Mike Silver of NFL.com. “That’s some college s—. It’s ridiculous. We’re all trying to get psyched up, but shaking hands with your opponent — that’s NFL etiquette. And when you pull bush league stuff, that’s disrespectful to the game. And believe me, that’s gonna get us fired up.”...

...Apparently it did, as Sherman picked off Mayfield two minutes into the game. Sherman wasn’t the only one to take a shot at Mayfield on a miserable night, as Nick Bosa clowned his college-era flag-waving celebration...

Richard Sherman annoyed at Baker Mayfield’s handshake snub

Baker has always been a ****y douchebag. Im glad he finally got humiliated last night.

IF I was Baker I would fake an injury Patriots week.

I cant wait to see what Bill has in store for him lol.

Its going to be like Vintage Tyson/Spinks the match was already over in Spinks mind. The game might be over by the Second Quarter a real NFL laugher.

While it's too soon to call Mayfield a bust:

He's a second year player who's regressed from his rookie season. He's learned that, unlike Lamar Jackson, he can't outrun the defenders coming against him. He's learning that he can't throw over opposing DLs. He's lost his accuracy, probably because of failing mechanics. His decision making is piss poor at times, both on and off the field, and he's got a wildly overblown sense of his current ability level.

Now, you can rail about recency bias even though that's not what's going on here, or you can acknowledge that the kid's playing like **** and getting the criticism that he richly deserves.

Whatever works for you...

The vaunted 2018 QB class is a total **** show. Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson. I remember hearing how all the “smart teams” were trading down in 2017 because the 2018 class would rival 1984.

The vaunted 2018 QB class is a total **** show. Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson. I remember hearing how all the “smart teams” were trading down in 2017 because the 2018 class would rival 1984.

The Bears traded up for Trubisky. o_O

The other players that got drafted before Mahomes at 10 have pretty much all worked out (Garrett, Williams, Mccafrey, Davis, Adams).

The other players that got drafted before Mahomes at 10 have pretty much all worked out (Garrett, Williams, Mccafrey, Davis, Adams).

It was an interesting topic watching the Browns/49ers last night and discussing the Jimmy G. trade scenario for the Browns in 2017. I was really adamant on this forum that the Browns should have traded the #1 overall pick because JG clearly better than any of those college QBs, and Garrett as a DE isn’t going to move the needle even if he’s successful.

I cant wait to see what Bill has in store for him lol.
KVN coming off the D's left edge all night, forcing Baker to roll left instead if his preferred right.

Regards,
Chris

Gonna have to give Mayfield a bit of credit and an apology about one incident. Apparently, Sherman's comment is misleading, if not an outright lie.

...One video clearly shows Mayfield embracing multiple 49ers captains, including tight end George Kittle. And while this specific video doesn’t conclusively reveal a handshake between Sherman and Mayfield (it also doesn’t show the kind of behavior that such an affront possibly would spark), it shows Mayfield shaking DeForest Buckner‘s hand and not snubbing him in any way....

Video shows Baker Mayfield shaking Richard Sherman’s hand

So, Mayfield's got plenty to fix, but this seems like an instance where he's being unfairly accused by his opponent.

I’d say airing out pregame handshake/warmup issues on social media is worse than a handshake snub. Now I wonder if Brady even told Sherman “we’re going to beat you” back in 2012. The guy makes stuff up to fit his narrative and looks to be a highly sensitive young man. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone using the word “respect” to explain why they’ve been wronged and not been a total hypocrite. Reminds me of an entry level college course with annoying people talking in circles about “respect” when someone disagrees with them.

Back to the height thing. It seems like some quarterbacks “play taller” than others. Garoppolo is listed at 6’2” and Mayfield is listed at 6’1”, (though someone said he is actually 6’0”.). But Mayfield just seems to shrink while Garoppolo seems to peer easily over defenders. I don’t know if anyone else tends to observe this. Mark Sanchez also seemed to play like he was 5’2”...a lot of has to do with footwork and pocket presence. It’s almost like Mayfield is bailing on every play and desperately trying to find a more comfortable spot to throw from.

First play from scrimmage: Flutie to Fryar down the right sideline for an 80-yard TD pass...

I was at that game. In those days you could decide Sunday morning, "Hey, weather looks nice for the game today" and head over to Foxboro, park for free in the woods across the street, walk to the crappy parking lot and buy face value tickets for really good seats.

They traded up and selected Trubisky over Mahomes and Watson. That's a decision that could haunt them for a decade or so. Just mind boggling. Horrific decision. Something that should get a GM & scouts fired.

I was at that game. In those days you could decide Sunday morning, "Hey, weather looks nice for the game today" and head over to Foxboro, park for free in the woods across the street, walk to the crappy parking lot and buy face value tickets for really good seats.
In high school and college (mid/late 80s/early 90s before Tuna) $50 got us tix, food, beer and parking.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back