PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION NFL Week 5 Games

What the Chiefs are really missing is Hunt. If they cannot run the ball, it won’t matter how many receivers they have. Good defenses will frustrate them.

So is the blue print to beat the Chiefs to smash them in the mouth?

No, it’s still scoring more points than them. Running a smash mouth offense just because you’re playing a high scoring offense is a losing formula much of the time. But if their run defense is vulnerable, you start there by attacking with the run game. If they adjust, you attack through the air. I honestly think Indy got way too cute tonight as they only scored 19 points and still won, and I think they let the Chiefs defense off the hook in a lot of ways. But the Colts defense won this game...if your defense holds them 13 points, you could choose from a variety of different offenses to score more than that. The Chiefs looked to be really banged up on offense, and credit to the Colts coaching staff for exploiting a lot of these problems. However, I think in general this predictable playcalling of R-R-R/P is nothing other than an advantage for the opponent who knows what you’re doing.

the chiefs had kareem hunt still last year in the regular season when we played them
And they scored 40. If they cannot run, teams will scheme more and more on stopping Mahomes. 2 bad games in a row now.

No, it’s still scoring more points than them. Running a smash mouth offense just because you’re playing a high scoring offense is a losing formula much of the time. But if their run defense is vulnerable, you start there by attacking with the run game. If they adjust, you attack through the air. I honestly think Indy got way too cute tonight as they only scored 19 points and still won, and I think they let the Chiefs defense off the hook in a lot of ways. But the Colts defense won this game...if your defense holds them 13 points, you could choose from a variety of different offenses to score more than that. The Chiefs looked to be really banged up on offense, and credit to the Colts coaching staff for exploiting a lot of these problems. However, I think in general this predictable playcalling of R-R-R/P is nothing other than an advantage for the opponent who knows what you’re doing.
Like I said, I think the key to at least containing Mahomes and the chiefs O is to keep Mahomy in the pocket. He is most dangerous out of the pocket as opposed to Brady who thrives in the pocket.

The way mahomes can really hurt you the most is those throws when hes on the run out of the pocket. Keeping him in the pocket is key to containing him.

Seems to me his own D did a fair job of containing him to the sidelines tonight

Russell Wilson will win MVP imo

Like I said, I think the key to at least containing Mahomes and the chiefs O is to keep Mahomy in the pocket. He is most dangerous out of the pocket as opposed to Brady who thrives in the pocket.

I agree, defensively that is a good concept to build around, a lot like Rodgers and Wilson.

Offensively, though, scoring often and not leaving points on the field is critical against any team, and especially any team with that type of scoring potential.

I’d say what the Colts did tonight on offense is like a team playing the Warriors in 2015-19 and the coach telling them they can’t shoot three pointers because they are going old school. This isn’t a good strategy and is usually a sure loss, especially against the Warriors. But in this given game, the Warriors went 3/32 on 3s against you. It doesn’t make your offensive strategy any better or more likely to win the next time you play.

Lmao theres a thread on chiefsplanet called "Have teams figured us out?"

Lmao theres a thread on chiefsplanet called "Have teams figured us out?"
Last year there was a thread called "is she my momma or my seester? or both....?"

and yes, I'm insinuating there is copious inbreeding going on within a 100 mile radius of Arrowhead

and yes, I'm insinuating there is copious inbreeding going on within a 100 mile radius of Arrowhead
They still think Jules touched the ball on that punt.

They still think Jules touched the ball on that punt.
They also still say the offsides wasn’t legitimate either. The family tree has very few branches.

What's really interesting is how similar almost every sports fan base is. Over on Chiefsplanet, they're pointing out the banged up OL, missing WRs, struggling running game, the supposedly "OMG! BAD!" play calls, and the like, just as we do here. The only real difference is that this is new for them in the Mahomes era, whereas we've seen Brady have to deal with it at times throughout the years.

What's really interesting is how similar almost every sports fan base is. Over on Chiefsplanet, they're pointing out the banged up OL, missing WRs, struggling running game, the supposedly "OMG! BAD!" play calls, and the like, just as we do here. The only real difference is that this is new for them in the Mahomes era, whereas we've seen Brady have to deal with it at times throughout the years.

The other difference is that Tyreek Hill (that scumbag who they’ll still root for because of his football skills) is coming back and should help the team. Wish we had a guy like that who could make an instant impact at WR, whatever his off field issues are.

Last year there was a thread called "is she my momma or my seester? or both....?"

First reply in that thread: Who cares? It's all goooooood

The other difference is that Tyreek Hill (that scumbag who they’ll still root for because of his football skills) is coming back and should help the team.

Last I checked there's still only one ball on the field at a time and all the offensive toys in the world won't do them much good if the defense can't get it back for them. KC's D was pitiful tonight, Hill isn't fixing that.

Technically they control their own destiny. Nobody is saying the one seed is wrapped up, but if they take care of business on their end they will be the one seed. That is controlling your own destiny.

?? #1 seed being wrapped up was never mentioned, fortunately. What I was/am saying is, it's far too early to talk about destiny control. For example, KC likely still controls their own destiny as well. If KC wins the rest of their games they will they end up with a better record, thanks to tie break rules, than the Patriots. As well, if the Patriots had lost today and KC won, we still control our own destiny against KC. Ultimately these two destinies are virtually unchanged after this week due to the upcoming KC-Patriot game and head to head tie breaker importance.

Hey, anyone can be as happy as they want about the KC loss, I am, and extrapolate from there(and post). But it is so very early to talk destinies when it's week 5 of the season. I don't really see that as arguable.

Where’s that large contingent of Saints fans telling us that the Saints would be 0-16 without Brees while Brady is a system QB?

Large?

I mean, yeah, I guess those people do exist, just like there's also a group of people that's been bashing Teddy B. on sports talk radio and saying fullback-with-an-arm Taysom Hill should be the QB1, but those people are A) stupid and B) racist.

Having said that, Brees probably would've put up 50 on the Bucs today. Even as good as Teddy was, there's still a very big difference in how the offense works. Brees gets the #3-4-5 receivers and backups tight ends involved in the game. Teddy gets to his second read at best, which has been good enough to win with how our defense is playing.

I do have to thank the Jets and whatever the hell they're doing with their talent evaluation. I'm supposed to believe Bridgewater couldn't start for them? And they let Demario Davis get away....twice? LOL, whatever, we'll take the gifts.

?? #1 seed being wrapped up was never mentioned, fortunately. What I was/am saying is, it's far too early to talk about destiny control. For example, KC likely still controls their own destiny as well. If KC wins the rest of their games they will they end up with a better record, thanks to tie break rules, than the Patriots. As well, if the Patriots had lost today and KC won, we still control our own destiny against KC. Ultimately these two destinies are virtually unchanged after this week due to the upcoming KC-Patriot game and head to head tie breaker importance.

Hey, anyone can be as happy as they want about the KC loss, I am, and extrapolate from there(and post). But it is so very early to talk destinies when it's week 5 of the season. I don't really see that as arguable.
But if we beat KC - we can put them in a huge hole. KC also has to play GB, Minn and Chicago - 3 pretty good defenses.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back