PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Mariota

I disagree. If we have to give anything more than a 5th for Mariota... sign me up for Cam 2.0 & a rookie.
Why would you want Newton under any circumstances? Mariota and a draft choice preferably in round 1

Tannehill always showed flashes of promise. Mariota has never looked like he was going to make it in this league
mariota is better than Cam right now but honestly only slightly better than Stidham......I’m not thrilled by Mariota but am horrified at thought of Sham returning!

Why would you want Newton under any circumstances? Mariota and a draft choice preferably in round 1

I am in the minority, but:

- Full off-season with OTA's/Mini-Camp/Training Camp
- No COVID brain fog (it affected Cam a lot and Jayson Tatum too)
- Better weapons...like you say...60M+ is gonna be a massive upgrade. (Cam was 7-8 with Meyers as his #1 all year, Edelman for 2-3 games, Byrd catching an occasional deep pass, Harry not doing too much, White declining in pass protection for some reason, and virtually no TE production)
- Great model of leadership for a young pup QB, IMO.
- Works better with guys like N'Keal Harry who seem to be "overwhelmed" and a great locker room guy.

Attention K-mart shoppers....

I’d rather keep Stid at lower contract and draft first round QB...Mariota Stid Sham .....other average vet QB...any way u slice it it’s another bridge/rebuild year

Attention K-mart shoppers....

You can’t win with any of those 3.
But any of those, including mariota still means you draft one. (I think trading up in round 2 gets you jones)
Mariota gives you a much better chance to win that those 3 probably at a cheaper price.
I don’t think Mariota gives you better chance to win than any other option....he hasn’t shown much in years....since Rook year

I’d rather keep Stid at lower contract and draft first round QB...Mariota Stid Sham .....other average vet QB...any way u slice it it’s another bridge/rebuild year
Want to maximize the chances of success with value. Could mean a draft pick and a vet with potential. Vet can mentor the pick. Mariota>Stid.

I don’t think Mariota gives you better chance to win than any other option....he hasn’t shown much in years....since Rook year
I think he gives you a much better chance. He had a winning record in year 2,3 and 4 on a not very good team.
From my perspective the development he needs to take the next step is a perfect fit for the system he would be in and the coaching he would receive.
The other 3 are slugs with no chance at an upside.

I am in the minority, but:

- Full off-season with OTA's/Mini-Camp/Training Camp
- No COVID brain fog (it affected Cam a lot and Jayson Tatum too)
- Better weapons...like you say...60M+ is gonna be a massive upgrade. (Cam was 7-8 with Meyers as his #1 all year, Edelman for 2-3 games, Byrd catching an occasional deep pass, Harry not doing too much, White declining in pass protection for some reason, and virtually no TE production)
- Great model of leadership for a young pup QB, IMO.
- Works better with guys like N'Keal Harry who seem to be "overwhelmed" and a great locker room guy.
Did you watch him throw the football. That rules out bringing him back. A Sb who cannot throw is useless. And that’s before we even get into the poor reads, slow reaction and horrific decision making.

Did you watch him throw the football. That rules out bringing him back. A Sb who cannot throw is useless. And that’s before we even get into the poor reads, slow reaction and horrific decision making.
Yeah, at times it looked like he was shot putting the ball for some reason. But talk of a shot shoulder is false, IMO. Check out this clip from the Houston game in November:

That shows that he still has the arm strength (didn't even get to set his base and the ball still went 50 yards in the air).

What was off was the rest of it....poor accuracy (I even think he was supposed to hit Byrd running inside, but Byrd adjusted), poor pocket awareness (took a lot of bone crushing hits), and poor pre-snap blitz recognition. All of that can be fixed with more reps and better weapons, IMO. Hell, Brady has been a Buc longer than Cam has been a Patriot....Brady became a Buc around March 19th last year...Cam wasn't even in Foxboro until June and got hit with COVID in week 4 on top of no real camp....

I am not saying Cam is an elite, but honestly I agree that there aren't 32 better starting QB's...and he can still run the ball...12TD's ain't nothing to sneeze at.

What makes you think that Mariota will be any better at the above in Pats system? How would you know.

If we keep sitting, we'll get Cam which, come to think of it, is pretty well equivalent to getting no one.
This team isn’t going to compete next year with Cam or Mariota. Why would you get into a bidding war over a guy who has to come in and learn the system and won’t even be the intended long term option anyways? Get in a bidding war over Watson/Dak/Stafford who at least show some ability to make a difference and play at a high level. Not some bum reclamation project

Yeah, at times it looked like he was shot putting the ball for some reason. But talk of a shot shoulder is false, IMO. Check out this clip from the Houston game in November:

That shows that he still has the arm strength (didn't even get to set his base and the ball still went 50 yards in the air).

What was off was the rest of it....poor accuracy (I even think he was supposed to hit Byrd running inside, but Byrd adjusted), poor pocket awareness (took a lot of bone crushing hits), and poor pre-snap blitz recognition. All of that can be fixed with more reps and better weapons, IMO. Hell, Brady has been a Buc longer than Cam has been a Patriot....Brady became a Buc around March 19th last year...Cam wasn't even in Foxboro until June and got hit with COVID in week 4 on top of no real camp....

I am not saying Cam is an elite, but honestly I agree that there aren't 32 better starting QB's...and he can still run the ball...12TD's ain't nothing to sneeze at.

He stinks. There are definitely 32 better QBs I’d guess the number is around 50.
You can’t fix unforced errors, terrible throws, the inability to read a defense, poor decision making, especially under pressure (he often panicked and threw the ball directly at the rusher) and inaccuracy with weapons.
Just look at your comment “there aren’t 32 better” is that the standard the greatest dynasty should now have “close to it but not the worst”
12 TDs mean little to me because almost all would have been scored by RBs if we handed off instead of keeping and a lot more would have been scored if we had a QB who could throw.
What makes you think that Mariota will be any better at the above in Pats system? How would you know.
Well first of because it would be virtually impossible to be worse than newton in those areas and secondly because Mariota has demonstrated he is better, even in a system that was not nearly as good at emphasizing and coaching those aspects.

Well first of because it would be virtually impossible to be worse than newton in those areas and secondly because Mariota has demonstrated he is better, even in a system that was not nearly as good at emphasizing and coaching those aspects.
That 1st one is just your biased opinion, not relevant.

How and when did Mariota demonstrate he is better in the Patriots system (that was the question)? Cam was an MVP. Mariota hasn't shown he "has it."

That 1st one is just your biased opinion, not relevant.

How and when did Mariota demonstrate he is better in the Patriots system (that was the question)? Cam was an MVP. Mariota hasn't shown he "has it."
Everything is based upon our opinions.

I assessing Mariota from his skills and how he has played.
But you misread my post. I said Mariota has demonstrated he is better at the skills I listed and that the areas I feel Mariota needs to improve are a good fit with the system and coaching he would receive here.
Example: Mariota has a tendency to hold the ball too long which is a product of a qbs definition of what “open” means and the structure of the systems progressions. The patriots system favors quick progressions and “take what the defense gives you” so that’s a different definition of “open” that an aggressive downfield heavy system.

The fact that Newton once was an mvp means nothing because he simply no longer did that guy. We saw that up close and personal. The flaws in his game that he overcame with his physical skills made him a good but unorthodox QB who moved the chains with his running, and created open receivers with his movement to buy time. It’s painfully obvious that he has lost a great deal of speed, taken a beating, and it was almost non existent last year that he moved around to buy time and get receivers open. Mostly he just took the sack or ran into the rush. He is a shadow of his early years and that exposes his weaknesses and makes him an awful QB I mean we both watched the debacle of 2020. There is no way a sane person could look at the qb play here last year and say great let’s have more of that.

You know how far the team has sunk when we think Mariota will save us. LOL

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back