PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning lays another playoff egg...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I'm a Patriots fan too. And I know damn well our team wouldn't be complacent after a playoff win if they didn't play well (or for that matter, even if they did). See, even though some people see things in black and white around here, our coach and his staff and their players continue to critique and work on various aspects of their game, win or lose. It's what you do to continue winning, rather than just saying "we won the game - what could possibly go wrong from here?"

I see a team that won two playoff games by taking what the defense gave them.

That means to me, they've found more than one way to win which makes them twice as dangerous.

If a team plays them honest by keeping linebackers in, they still have the best passing offense in football.

I'm not aware that Harrison Wayne Clark and Manning are injured?

This whole thread just baffles me.

If he lost while passing well that would be better?

Last edited:
I am sorry that you cannot take the time and read what a person actually posts. Nobody ever implied that the W is the only thing that matters. If you actually read the posts instead of whipping out a "stupidity" insult you wouldn't look so stupid right now. Nobody ever even came close to making some idiotic analysis that Grossman is better than Brady. Could you please keep the conversation on planet earth.

If your an Indi coach you are elated that the Colts won today. You are not concerned with Peyton's problems today. He is a Hall of Fame QB. There is no doubt that Peyton has had problems in the post season, but is this type of play typical of Peyton? No, not at all. Here is the problem with your argument. Next, you say, "But Peyton has proven he has major problem and cannot win the big games in the post season." Huh? you mean it all comes down to whether you win or lose in the playoffs? Bingo. That is what has been said in this thread. The only thing that matters in THE PLAYOFFS is whether you win or lose. Just ask Steve McNair. Better yet, Tony Romo.

No no. I certainly did.

In case their is any doubt, "the W is the only thing that matters". Thank you

I am sorry that you cannot take the time and read what a person actually posts. Nobody ever implied that the W is the only thing that matters.

From the first page:

I don't see how beating a team that is predicted to beat you is laying an egg. In the playoff stats just don't matter. It is about one thing and one thing only. The W.

From the first page:

Do I need to draw you a cartoon so you get it? Do you see the words "IN THE PLAYOFFS."

just incase you missed it one more time."IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS,IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS, IN THE PLAYOFFS."

Do you get it yet?

I didn't know they got individual grades. Of course in practice they do. But I really thought the only object in the playoffs was to win the game.

I know in nun school, we'd flip the card over and get graded on things like
"works well with others".

You'll have to forgive me for being oriented towards winning.

You see I'm a Patriots fan.

Of course they get individual grades. just because a team wins doesn't mean that everyone is pulling their own weight. there's always room for improvement, even when you win.

the patriots won the superbowl in '03. was BB complacent and figured that since they won it all everything was just fine? of course not. he traded for Dillon because rb was an obvious weakness. what has made the Patriots truly great is their ability to improve while winning. if you wait to fix things until you start losing it's too late, especially in the playoffs when you're out with one loss.

This thread has changed my mind. Manning was awesome. From what I can gather, all 53 guys on any team that wins a game had a good one, and no team has ever compensated for a poor performance by one of their marquee players...QED, Manning was superb, because they won.

Glad we got that straight.

Here's a question: can a coach have a bad game and still win, or does the win necessarily mean he had a great game?

If they lost but he had a better game, it would be better in the context of evaluating his play, and nothing else. No one is saying anything but that, but you and some others that aren't worth mentioning don't seem to grasp that. Of course you want to win the game, but when you're evaluating whether a QB (or any player, for that matter) had a good game or not, that's not the only thing you consider. And evaluating the play of the QB IS WHAT THIS THREAD WAS CREATED FOR. It doesn't say "Colts lay another playoff egg".

Yes that is exactly what they are saying. It makes no sense.

Who's saying that, again? I've read this whole thread and I must have missed it. He played poorly. They still won. The two aren't mutually exclusive, for cryin' out loud.

Who's saying that, again? I've read this whole thread and I must have missed it. He played poorly. They still won. The two aren't mutually exclusive, for cryin' out loud.

He did enough to win the game. That is all that matters. Whatever his stats were or poor decisions he made do not matter because he is playing next week in the playoffs.

The freaking point is all that matters is the W. Do you get it yet?

To The Predator: Change your name to The ****...do you get it????????

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/01/13/colts.eagles/index.html

"In one of the biggest games of his pressurized nine-year NFL career, Peyton Manning played with the cool detachment of the greatest Colt of them all, Johnny Unitas, on Saturday. It wasn't anywhere near the best game of his life, but under the circumstances -- a playoff game in the city that now lives to hate the Colts, against a Baltimore defense that was both the most feared and top-rated in the NFL this season -- it was one of the most rewarding.

Colts 15, Revenge 6.

In beating the Ravens, the AFC's second seed, Manning showed how ridiculous a stat quarterback rating is, compiling a woeful 39.6 rating. But he completed 15 of 30 passes, was sacked only once and threw two interceptions (one a Hail-Mary sort of punt) while controlling the line of scrimmage throughout and taking away the Baltimore defense's aggressiveness. He outplayed his co-2003 MVP, Baltimore quarterback Steve McNair, who threw two terribly inopportune interceptions in Indianapolis territory.

"Stats mean nothing in a game like this,'' Indianapolis quarterback coach Jim Caldwell said. "Peyton controlled this game.''

It doesnt get any clearer. Welcome to reality Richter.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/01/13/colts.eagles/index.html

"In one of the biggest games of his pressurized nine-year NFL career, Peyton Manning played with the cool detachment of the greatest Colt of them all, Johnny Unitas, on Saturday. It wasn't anywhere near the best game of his life, but under the circumstances -- a playoff game in the city that now lives to hate the Colts, against a Baltimore defense that was both the most feared and top-rated in the NFL this season -- it was one of the most rewarding.

Colts 15, Revenge 6.

In beating the Ravens, the AFC's second seed, Manning showed how ridiculous a stat quarterback rating is, compiling a woeful 39.6 rating. But he completed 15 of 30 passes, was sacked only once and threw two interceptions (one a Hail-Mary sort of punt) while controlling the line of scrimmage throughout and taking away the Baltimore defense's aggressiveness. He outplayed his co-2003 MVP, Baltimore quarterback Steve McNair, who threw two terribly inopportune interceptions in Indianapolis territory.

"Stats mean nothing in a game like this,'' Indianapolis quarterback coach Jim Caldwell said. "Peyton controlled this game.''

Are you a Colts fan or a Patriots fan or neither? All your posts have to do with the Colts. Interesting.

manning had a crappy game, in fact he has had a crappy postseason, it has been the running game and the D that has won these games for the colts

manning had a crappy game, in fact he has had a crappy postseason, it has been the running game and the D that has won these games for the colts

I'm in agreement here. Not sure why Predator is arguing his point to death. I would not agree with SI statements about the game and how Manning controlled it. For the 2nd game in a row, Manning has been lucky to win. The Colts D has stepped up thier game but watching Trent Green and Steve McNair the last two weeks has been shocking at how bad these two veterans have played. McNair was awful today. Maybe 2 weeks off was bad for this team but to have only put up 2 FG's on the Colts D while playing at home is excuseless.

Manning should have thrown at least 4 interceptions today continuing his tradition of playing worse as the pressure increases. If that is not concerning to Colt fans then I'm not sure what is.

I'm in agreement here. Not sure why Predator is arguing his point to death. I would not agree with SI statements about the game and how Manning controlled it. For the 2nd game in a row, Manning has been lucky to win. The Colts D has stepped up thier game but watching Trent Green and Steve McNair the last two weeks has been shocking at how bad these two veterans have played. McNair was awful today. Maybe 2 weeks off was bad for this team but to have only put up 2 FG's on the Colts D while playing at home is excuseless.

Manning should have thrown at least 4 interceptions today continuing his tradition of playing worse as the pressure increases. If that is not concerning to Colt fans then I'm not sure what is.

yes ray lewis broke up two ints

I see a team that won two playoff games by taking what the defense gave them.

That means to me, they've found more than one way to win which makes them twice as dangerous.

If a team plays them honest by keeping linebackers in, they still have the best passing offense in football.

I'm not aware that Harrison Wayne Clark and Manning are injured?

This whole thread just baffles me.

I agree Ray. This whole thread baffles me too. Indy is finding non Indy ways to win by playing physical football, actually stopping the run and winning ugly. To me that says Indy might be more playoff dangerous than I have ever seen them. And in the post season, a W is a W. I'll take Brady going 1 for 33 passing if the final score has the Patriots with just one single more point. As a matter of fact, I'll take Brady going 0 for 100 from here on out if it means the Patriots win the Super Bowl.

As a matter of fact, I'll take Brady going 0 for 100 from here on out if it means the Patriots win the Super Bowl.

If that were the case, would you say Brady played well, or would you say the Pats won in spite of him?

That's the point of this thread. Not that Indy didn't deserve to win or anything, but that Manning played like crap (his playoff M.O. when he's not playing Denver) and the Colts found ways to win despite him. How many times did Manning throw on the final drive? Once? And that was off-target and might not have been a catch at all. Two picks (should have been four), he missed a WIDE open receiver on the sideline...he was lousy, and the running game, the D, and the Ravens ineptitude bailed him out.

Predator apparently thinks everything went well for Manning and he shouldn't change a thing because they won.

Last edited:

Colts 15, Revenge 6.

Peter King's reaching a bit, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye