PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next Man Up - 3rd String Post-Game Points Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEA_Pat

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
As per usual, I eagerly looked to review the post-game posts by Rob079 and PatsFanKen but they were nowhere to be found. My sources tell me that Rob079 suffered a concussion when Brady yelled "REX RYAN! REX RYAN" on the first play of the game. Meanwhile, PFK is still staring at the screen in a state of suspended animation after witnessing Marcus Cannon's "Movie Usher" blocking technique ("Tickets to the quarterback sir? Right this way!"). As per the credo of our favourite team, I'm here from the Practice Squad to fill in as best I can...

1. Remember when we were all mystified by having 9 safeties on the team and 4 cornerbacks? Well, we saw perhaps some reasons why today. Tavon Wilson returned from the dead, King made a huge play knocking the ball from Leotis ("Please don't make me active when we play in Foxborough") McKelvin, McCourty saved a TD with yet another last second defense of a TD pass and Chung was forced into coverage as a CB in the Nickel. Major reason we won today. And yes, Chung gets a pass from me, he was always going to be up against it doing what he was never good at.

2. In fact, I'd say this was the first game where the Secondary were the stars of the show and the most outstanding unit on the team. Butler absolutely schooled Watkins, Logan Ryan continues to show his detractors here just how wrong they were and the safeties I described above. Great performance. It has finally dawned on me that the Patriots simply coach their secondary guys NOT to turn to the ball, but to keep their eyes glued on the receiver's hands, and be ready to chop down on them as soon as they make a motion to catch the ball. Seems to work as it's taken away two TDs in two games along with numerous other passes defensed.

3. The OL gets a pass from me. They've been so makeshift and confused for the last several weeks with all the injuries they simply couldn't cope with the innovative schemes Rexy had the Bills running. And one must remember that those guys were pretty good too. Let's see what state we're in after a few games together. They'll be good for the playoffs once they heal and find the right rotations. That said, if they play like this in Denver, it could get pretty ugly.

4. Nice to see Mayo back in the mix and making a few plays, but he's definitely not the same guy we had pre-knee injury. Great backup, not gonna be re-signed for anything beyond 2nd string prices.

5. I much prefer the referees when they keep their whistles in their pockets which these guys did for the most part. But boy, did they ever screw up a few plays. I find it hard to believe that Rex didn't influence/intimidate the linesman into the inadvertent whistle. But hey, he just affected an actual play that could have changed the score so no biggie. Just like Mike Tomlin. #integritymyass.

6. What was wrong with Ryan Allen today? No pressure on the punts but very limited distance it seemed to me.

7. Tom Brady is one tough SOB. Stood tall in the pocket without flinching when he knew he was going to be clobbered. Scares the crap out of me every time but he keeps getting back up. Don't know how this is even possible, but the GOAT is incredibly under-rated.

8. James White may have earned himself Dion Lewis treatment with that TD. If Bill and Josh trust him in that role, he'll start to see a lot more touches on passes to the flat etc. If he could show that he can run inside and find counter holes like Dion, we could be in not such a bad situation by the time the playoffs roll around and Jules returns.

9. The Front 7 really didn't get much pressure on Taylor unlike how they've been doing against other teams this year. Bit of a disappointment but the Bills OL I thought played very well and we didn't have Collins to drive them crazy. So long as the Secondary steps up like they did, we're good.

10. There really isn't much that is more enjoyable than watching Rex spit the dummy when his team does what they're coached to do - make mistakes, take dumb penalties and drop the football.

Anyway, that's all for me, I just saw Ray Ventrone get out of his car in the parking lot so I'm back to the PS. Hope I'm not signed by the Bills, I may have to retire...

EDIT: And just as I post, I see that Rob079 has been cleared to play and beat me to the line of scrimmage. Life's hard for us waiver wire guys.

hey, that is quite an impressive job of stepping up! Thanks :)

And dude - no PS status for you. :D

only point I disagree is w.r.t Mayo - i feel that we might see him more during the next few games and the playoffs; maybe the team is taking it slow considering his injury/recovery. So, a bit too early IMO to evaluate his worth to the team.

I disagree with your point that the Dline was not pressuring Taylor. They had him moving and in the grasp a lot he just kept making plays in those otherwise broken situations. Hat's off to the opposing QB I say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey