PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell in 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't really know what people saw that made them hate Dobson so much...I think people romanticize his bust status for a few reasons but the truth is he was an up and coming player whose career was derailed by injuries...

Dobson was not an up and coming player. He sucked. Better options were available and BB chose poorly. People were disappointed, as they should have been. It's that simple.
Yep.

Keenan Allen, a borderline top-35 prospect and one of the best players still available regardless of position, should've been the Emperor's choice when he instead made yet another fireable draft-day decision by choosing Aaron Dropson & his 8" hands ahead of Allen. I never, EVER think of one without thinking of the other, and what might've been..

Yep.

Keenan Allen, a borderline top-35 prospect and one of the best players still available regardless of position, should've been the Emperor's choice when he instead made yet another fireable draft-day decision by choosing Aaron Dropson & his 8" hands ahead of Allen. I never, EVER think of one without thinking of the other, and what might've been..
I didn't realize Dobson was picked over Allen. In fact, Allen dropping that far is another example of how teams are still obsessed with height, weight and speed rather than actual production on the field. Robert Woods and Kennan Allen were two guys I wanted the Pats to draft and was horrified when they selected Dobson.

I honestly don't really know what people saw that made them hate Dobson so much. He was okayish, then he just stopped getting on the field altogether. Every young receiver drops balls but not every young receiver gets a nickname with "drop" in it. I think people romanticize his bust status for a few reasons but the truth is he was an up and coming player whose career was derailed by injuries. Mitchell has been facing injury adversity his whole NFL career, so it's not exactly a huge stretch to say when it's all said and done for both guys they might have had similar trajectories.
Funny you say that. People trash on Chad Jackson but can't admit he actually showed promise when he was on the field. He caught a TD in his debut at the Jest, caught a long TD at Buffalo and drew a couple pass interference flags against the best D in the league which was Chicago. The fact that the Pats put him on kick off coverage when he was already dealing with hamstring issues was beyond dumb. Not to mention, their WR's were extremely weak that year and they traded up to get him because of that. The result was a torn ACL and his career ended. I believe his career would've been different had the Pats handheld that differently.

And I've never understood why players are called "draft busts" when it's the teams that should be blamed for making the mistake to draft them.

Last edited:
If Mitchell can come back from his injuries, next year seems fine for the Patriots. He could be put on PUP and then brought back or put on IR.
How many players have extensive injury histories, miss an entire NFL year, and then spend the following year on IR again? Do you know of any? The list can’t be long, and likely would only include upper echelon talent.

Yep.

Fireable. Right. You won't be happy until **** MacPherson is back in charge.

Yep.

In hindsight Allen should’ve been the pick. He should’ve been a first rounder but a knee injury in college forced him to miss the combine and he wasn’t healthy during his pro day, running a 4.7 40. That obviously scared a lot of teams away, seeing that he dropped to r3. I’m just as baffled at taking Boyce when Kenny stills was available.

In hindsight Allen should’ve been the pick. He should’ve been a first rounder but a knee injury in college forced him to miss the combine and he wasn’t healthy during his pro day, running a 4.7 40. That obviously scared a lot of teams away, seeing that he dropped to r3. I’m just as baffled at taking Boyce when Kenny stills was available.
Yes, but it hasn't stopped the Pats before. They took Terrance Wheatley coming off of wrist injuries, your boy Ras I-Dowling with a bunch of injury concerns, and the most recent baffling pick Dominique Easily. Allen was still rated pretty high by the draft analysts.

How many players have extensive injury histories, miss an entire NFL year, and then spend the following year on IR again? Do you know of any? The list can’t be long, and likely would only include upper echelon talent.
I agree. However, Mitchell is a relatively inexpensive option for 2019.

I agree. However, Mitchell is a relatively inexpensive option for 2019.
That’s the main argument, sure, but they’d have to really be sky high on him to wait until 2019, where he would then be approaching 3 years removed from a 30 catch rookie season.

Yes, but it hasn't stopped the Pats before. They took Terrance Wheatley coming off of wrist injuries, your boy Ras I-Dowling with a bunch of injury concerns, and the most recent baffling pick Dominique Easily. Allen was still rated pretty high by the draft analysts.

I agree it hasn’t stopped us before. I also can’t hold it against bill to be concerned about that 4.7 time. 31 teams were also concerned.

If Mitchell can't pass a physical, they are on the hook for injury settlement money, aren't they.

I don't think they would need to be sky high on a player to be willing to pay $600K for a possible WR next year. All I think him as is a prospect.

That’s the main argument, sure, but they’d have to really be sky high on him to wait until 2019, where he would then be approaching 3 years removed from a 30 catch rookie season.

If Mitchell can't pass a physical, they are on the hook for injury settlement money, aren't they.

I don't think they would need to be sky high on a player to be willing to pay $600K for a possible WR next year. All I think him as is a prospect.
While what you say makes some sense, I’d have to wonder why we haven’t seen this before too often in the NFL?

How many guys are IR’ed for 2 full seasons and kept for another chance? Obviously, it’s a bit more than just a low cost prospect. If he isn’t healthy, they will most likely move on (in my opinion).

Just a thought on Mitchell.........

Is it possible that we have too high of expectations of him (even if he wasn't injured)?

After all, he performed very well his rookie year especially be rookie standards.

We have seen other guys do well their rookie seasons (by rookie standards) whom we hoped to develop into good-to-great players by any standard but for some reason or another just didn't happen.

I'm thinking of guys like Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins, and Chad Jackson. After their rookie seasons we had high hopes for them in year two only to see it never happen.

While Mitchell showed more promise than those guys I still think it's premature to pencil him in as a guy who would be a 1100 yd / 6 TD player had he not been injured.
Dobson and Thompkins mainly produced because there was no other options. That depth chart was terrible, and Brady can make anyone work if he has to. Although I will say I think Dobson could've turned into something were it not for injuries.

And I don't know what you saw in Chad Jackson. He always looked like a bust to me

Yep.

"Another fireable draft day decision"

Please don't tell me you actually think Bill Belichick is a bad GM. Yes, he makes the occasional bad pick because he's a human being, but he hits on far more picks than league average. God some Pats fans are so unreasonable

"...occasional bad pick..."

Occasional...that's a good one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back