PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell in 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthews is more of a pure slot guy, whereas Mitchell's more a perimeter receiver. I don't really see one affecting the other, and Matthews isn't exactly a sure bet either.

Hogan's the safer bet, but Mitchell has a much higher ceiling. Hogan struggles against man coverage and isn't the best at winning contested passes. Mitchell showed the ability to do both, while still stretching the field. Granted, he's not as good a deep threat as Hogan, but he does just about everything else better when he's healthy
I think they all struggle against man at times and it depending on how Eldeman responds from his injury, it could be even more difficult. That's why Gronk is so important to this team as he forces defenses to focus on him and the WR's get better match ups.

I do want to see Mitchell return and do well so I can hear Joe Buck do this:
Starts at 24 seconds.

To your point @Triumph, yes, the WRs that have been drafted have been atrocious—sans Givens, Branch, and Jules. Hopefully, they’ve changed up their scouting techniques a bit.

Gronk is important to the team because he is one of the best TE's to ever play the game. He is important regardless of what WR's we have on field.

I.. That's why Gronk is so important to this team as he forces defenses to focus on him and the WR's get better match ups.

I just think he’ll be one of these guys who is perennially injured and can’t be counted on the from one week to the next. Chronic type of injury. I like him a lot but this appears to be th case. Wonder if he’ll make the team...maybe PUP/IR again ready to go in case of depth issues.

Wasn't his Med history a red flag during the draft?

I really liked him here, but missing too much more time, i don't think he will develop quite enough...

Still, I am kinda hyped about J Mathews. I think he'll become our number #3 Receiver

Yes his medical records should have been a red flag. Someone posted a video of him giving a (very nice) commencement address for a small college a few weeks ago. During his speech, he testified of his injury history.

EDIT: add Malcolm Mitchell Delivers Commencent Address

Last edited:
Ive always thought that Britt is here to replace Mitchell if he cant go. Britt is 1 year removed from a 1000 yard season with the LAR.

After Branch and Givens, the only other stud WRs that comes to mind is Julian Andelman.

Gallon
Lucien
Dobson
Boyce
Ebert
Price
Tate
Slater
Chad Jackson - remember him? He couldnt spell CAT with the C and T up on the board.
Sam
Bethel Johnson
<<<GASP!!!>>>

I think Mitchell plays this year and is a difference maker. But it’s possible my “think” is really “hope.”

Matthews is more of a pure slot guy, whereas Mitchell's more a perimeter receiver. I don't really see one affecting the other, and Matthews isn't exactly a sure bet either.

Hogan's the safer bet, but Mitchell has a much higher ceiling. Hogan struggles against man coverage and isn't the best at winning contested passes. Mitchell showed the ability to do both, while still stretching the field. Granted, he's not as good a deep threat as Hogan, but he does just about everything else better when he's healthy

Hogan has started almost every game he's played for the Patriots. Edelman plays both slot and OWR. Matthews plays a lot of slotWR, but he can also go outside.

In two TE sets, the beginning of the season will likely be a lineup based off:

Brady
Gronk
TE2
Edelman
Hogan
RB

When they go with 3 WRs, they'll likely be subbing in 2 different players as the WR3, with Matthews likely often being the choice when the team wants additional slot help, and the winner of the Mitchell/Britt/Dorsett/Patterson group being the first up when the team is looking for another WR for the outside.

Of course, it's June, and that could all change tomorrow, but that's how I see it as of now.

Last edited:
Gronk is important to the team because he is one of the best TE's to ever play the game. He is important regardless of what WR's we have on field.

I'd argue that overall the threat of Gronk on the field has actually a bigger effect on our success than the plays he makes. The way DCs have to account for him as a receiving option and blocking option on every snap makes him a playermaker even when the ball goes to a RB or to the completely different side of the field. He is very much the definition of a chess piece that enables Josh to do a lot of creative things. This makes him imho the most impactful skill position player in the entire league.

I think Mitchell plays this year and is a difference maker. But it’s possible my “think” is really “hope.”

We will know by training camp. At least this year we don't seem to be short of WR options so it is less of a problem.

It would be a shame if his career would be completely derailed by injuries but given where he was drafted and his impact on the SB team he was still an "ok" pick. Even if only for one season.

Well yeah he won’t have the best year any receiver has ever had, but he has the potential to be really damn good as long as he stays healthy
I think we see MMs potential a bit differently.

I see David Givens. Nice player but not an All Pro

I think we see MMs potential a bit differently.

I see David Givens. Nice player but not an All Pro
Good comparison. He’s a valuable piece to have if he can go and he can make the plays you need on the big stage but he’s not a game changer.

I don't know the extent of Mitchell's injury, but I just hope they don't rush him back. PUP may not be a bad place for him to start.

At this point, I'm not sure we're dealing with a discrete injury, but rather a chronic knee that he will always have. I remember reading a scouting magazine that quoted a scout saying his knees were "put together with scotch tape." So, this has been the status quo for a while. I wouldn't count on him at all.

At this point, I'm not sure we're dealing with a discrete injury, but rather a chronic knee that he will always have. I remember reading a scouting magazine that quoted a scout saying his knees were "put together with scotch tape." So, this has been the status quo for a while. I wouldn't count on him at all.
Anything we get from Mitchell is icing on the cake.

David Givens was a nice complimentary receiver. Malcom Mitchell could be much better than David Givens.
He could if his knees hold up. He had a very good rookie season considering he played in the toughest offense in the NFL. Unfortunately he’s had quite the injury history there and if he’s still missing time because of it after over a year to get them right, it’s not a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back