PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell in 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
phillip Dorsett is more likely to scratch the opening roster at this point than MM is. I love Mitchell, but if a guy can't play then he can't play.

On the other hand, he's already accomplished things in his tiny football career that many football players only dream of -- so if it is the end, hard to be too upset for him

Since most of us don’t get to see these guys at practice day in day out and Mitchell's sample size is small we, as fans, are left with the eye test to evaluate his potential. And by my eye, the guy looked great from day one so I agree with the OP’s point, the guy has some major upside and could emerge as a star this season.

Last edited:
Their careers have been virtually identical. Nice rookie year. Year 2 was a washout and Year 3 is not starting off that great either.

The stats may be the same, but the players are very different. Mitchell looks much more comfortable in the offense and just better overall. He also is much quicker and longer than David Givens.

Will Mitchell beat out these for a roster spot: Britt, Dorsett, Berrios?
Edelman, Hogan, Matthews, Patterson
==========
If Mitchell can come back from his injuries, next year seems fine for the Patriots. He could be put on PUP and then brought back or put on IR. Mitchell is signed for 2019. The others signed for 2019 are Edelman and Berrios.

The stats may be the same, but the players are very different. Mitchell looks much more comfortable in the offense and just better overall. He also is much quicker and longer than David Givens.

I honestly don't really know what people saw that made them hate Dobson so much. He was okayish, then he just stopped getting on the field altogether. Every young receiver drops balls but not every young receiver gets a nickname with "drop" in it. I think people romanticize his bust status for a few reasons but the truth is he was an up and coming player whose career was derailed by injuries. Mitchell has been facing injury adversity his whole NFL career, so it's not exactly a huge stretch to say when it's all said and done for both guys they might have had similar trajectories.

Agree but their careers are running parallel. You are debating a different point than I am making.

I don't care if MM is quicker or longer than Giv. That's irrelevant. Production is what matters.

In the 3 years Giv was here he averaged 50 catches, 700yds and 4 TDs.

MM played 1/2 a year

Until Mitchell can get on the field, he is not a better player than David Givens because to be better, you need to play.

Just a thought on Mitchell.........

Is it possible that we have too high of expectations of him (even if he wasn't injured)?

After all, he performed very well his rookie year especially be rookie standards.

We have seen other guys do well their rookie seasons (by rookie standards) whom we hoped to develop into good-to-great players by any standard but for some reason or another just didn't happen.

I'm thinking of guys like Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins, and Chad Jackson. After their rookie seasons we had high hopes for them in year two only to see it never happen.

While Mitchell showed more promise than those guys I still think it's premature to pencil him in as a guy who would be a 1100 yd / 6 TD player had he not been injured.

I think Mitchell plays this year and is a difference maker. But it’s possible my “think” is really “hope.”

Of course, it's the offseason........it's the time of the year in which we blindfully/optimistically assume...

1.) All previously injured players at least return to prior healthy form

2.) All draft picks made in the first four rounds are hits and provide good contributions.

3.) All free agents additions fit into the system nicely and produce (at least enough to justify their salary)

4.) Prior year rookies continue their development to stardom

5.) Assume all key contributors avoid major injuries

Of course, it never works out that way but we continue hoping never-the-less

Obviously his knees are an issue but I'm not ready to give up yet. Plenty of players who showed a lot less have lasted longer than 3 years. This will be his third if the injuries kill another year then my concerns will raise. For now I assume he is very much in the mix for one of the top 4 spots and a near lock for the roster.

WR is really interesting right now because other than Jules who is clearly TBs number 1 I could see the rest of the catches going any number of ways. Though Hogan, Mitchell, and Matthews likely round out the top 4 I could see it going in any order and I don't think it would be crazy for one or two to be bumped a little lower if someone like Britt, Dorsett, or anyone else caught fire. A lot of competition and depth for now.
He only lasted one day of OTAs. I don't think he's playing for awhile.

I honestly don't really know what people saw that made them hate Dobson so much. He was okayish, then he just stopped getting on the field altogether. Every young receiver drops balls but not every young receiver gets a nickname with "drop" in it. I think people romanticize his bust status for a few reasons but the truth is he was an up and coming player whose career was derailed by injuries. Mitchell has been facing injury adversity his whole NFL career, so it's not exactly a huge stretch to say when it's all said and done for both guys they might have had similar trajectories.

I agree, but also think that Mitchell looked better than Dobson.

David Givens was a nice complimentary receiver. Malcom Mitchell could be much better than David Givens.

I'm not sure what you're basing this on, so I'll just say that I question your memory of what Givens had become by the time he left for richer pastures.

Dobson was not an up and coming player. He sucked. Better options were available and BB chose poorly. People were disappointed, as they should have been. It's that simple.

Yes his medical records should have been a red flag. Someone posted a video of him giving a (very nice) commencement address for a small college a few weeks ago. During his speech, he testified of his injury history.

EDIT: add Malcolm Mitchell Delivers Commencent Address
They were. Which is why they got him in the fourth round. They make these kinds of bets all the time, it's the only way they have to get the better talent. You think Gronk is a 2d rounder if there's nothing wrong with his back?

For what he has done far too much time has been devoted to Malcolm Mitchell. He doesn't even have a particularly high ceiling either. Personally I don't plan to worry about what he does or doesn't do much unless he flashes like a beast in a preseason game.

To your point @Triumph, yes, the WRs that have been drafted have been atrocious—sans Givens, Branch, and Jules. Hopefully, they’ve changed up their scouting techniques a bit.

I dont know how the Steelers do it.

They could bring the guy tending the Gatorade jugs and turn him into a WR threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes