PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones & the offense: Signs of improvement?

. The Oline also figured it out, and now with Brown back, wow, they are dominating.
You mean the coaches worked out that the backup OT's don't belong on the field?

From the start of the season, almost all of us agreed that we had 6 starting OL's, and the backups were seriously weak.

As soon as Brown went down, many here just presumed that Onwenu would be moved to RT the next week. The coaches disagreed and took a long time to make the move.

Yes, Brown make a huge (pun intended) difference. If Onwenu moves back to stating LR, we will be back to having Herron be the backup at OT on Game Day.

You mean the coaches worked out that the backup OT's don't belong on the field?

From the start of the season, almost all of us agreed that we had 6 starting OL's, and the backups were seriously weak.

As soon as Brown went down, many here just presumed that Onwenu would be moved to RT the next week. The coaches disagreed and took a long time to make the move.

Yes, Brown make a huge (pun intended) difference. If Onwenu moves back to stating LR, we will be back to having Herron be the backup at OT on Game Day.

It was bad and shocking how long it took to see something obvious. Durant/ Herron / Cajuste had zero business playing RT for 6 weeks.

But it makes sense when you see they kept starting NKeal Harry last year until getting hurt. Kept Jacobi Meyers benched until NKeal got hurt. Kept Damien Harris benched until Michel got hurt. Kept Karras benched this year for 6 weeks. Didn't start Onwenu at RT till week7. It's alarming in that slow awareness or recognition is a sign of a staff that is bad at evaluating talent, or operating at a lower level of intelligence/ decision-making.

It's great they've won 4 straight but this team could be 7-3 or better if they didn't make obvious dumb decisions for the first 6 weeks.

Tommy left because they kept busting on players and he was fed up. NKeal Harry, Sanu, JG, AB cut, no Gronk, no tight ends. Draft busts from 2013-2019. Tommy made the best decision for himself to go to a loaded Tampa team. If anything you can say Brady left because of a bare cupboard created by subIQ roommates from john carroll.

FEL4_1FXoAQFUtE

Tommy left because they kept busting on players and he was fed up. NKeal Harry, Sanu, JG, AB cut, no Gronk, no tight ends. Draft busts from 2013-2019. Tommy made the best decision for himself to go to a loaded Tampa team. If anything you can say Brady left because of a bare cupboard created by subIQ roommates from john carroll.

And he could have waited another year for the Pats to reload..the guy got greedy and when his dance partner for 20 years didn't have it anymore he left. Ultimately it's going to work out better for us though.

Hope we can get these type of performances more consistently now over the 2nd half. Not necessary putting up 45 and 55 pts every time out but we should be seeing alot more 30 burgers and games where we are not just counting on the defense to win it for us and get turnovers.

Yes I did say that and yes he is. I said nothing inaccurate

Actually there is.

Justin Fields - 9 games, 1282 Yards, 2 TDs, 4 INTs, 60% completions

Mac Jones - 10 games, 2333 yards, 13 TDs, 7 INTs, 69% completions

And you're the same guy who said you would trade Mac for Trevor Lawrence straight up....

Last edited:
Hope we can get these type of performances more consistently now over the 2nd half. Not necessary putting up 45 and 55 pts every time out but we should be seeing alot more 30 burgers and games where we are not just counting on the defense to win it for us and get turnovers.
In theory they should have their way with ATL and JAX.

They should put up enough points to win vs ****bag offenses in TN and MIA

Indy can do some things on offense. Slow Taylor down and and make Wentz beat us. Might be a bit of a shootout.

BUF is a different matter.

Indy can do some things on offense. Slow Taylor down and and make Wentz beat us. Might be a bit of a shootout.

The most encouraging thing is the team showing they can string wins together, with some tough opponents mixed into the schedule. Even at 2-4 , the team looked CAPABLE of winning alot of games this year. It was just a question of can they win consistently and avoid the killer mistakes that plagued us during that start. It's almost gotten back to the point where we can go into each game fairly confident for a W here on out.

Every team on their schedule is flawed. While I agre with your overall premise, there is - at this point - no one who's unbeatable. So, while I expect more frustration in the weeks to come, not one NE win would be an epic upset... This team is stronger than I had thought it would be + the AFC is much weaker than I expected...

Actually there is.

Justin Fields - 9 games, 1282 Yards, 2 TDs, 4 INTs, 60% completions

Mac Jones - 10 games, 2333 yards, 13 TDs, 7 INTs, 69% completions

And you're the same guy who said you would trade Mac for Trevor Lawrence straight up....
I said over the last couple of games compared to Mac’s before yesterday he was playing better- and he was.

I said over the last couple of games compared to Mac’s before yesterday he was playing better- and he was.

and in comparing the two, how is the last two games more important than the whole season?

and in comparing the two, how is the last two games more important than the whole season?
Fields was playing better than Mac over the last two games before yesterday. That's a fact not an opinion. Seems he's figured things out in Chicago despite having a much worse head coach than Mac has.

My whole point was related to Bedard's article about a rookie wall and I was just using Fields as an example of a guy who had just as long a season last year as Mac did and he's not hitting a rookie wall. The rookie wall might be a thing - but after Mac's game yesterday I think Bedard might want to rethink that take a bit.

Fields was playing better than Mac over the last two games before yesterday. That's a fact not an opinion. Seems he's figured things out in Chicago despite having a much worse head coach than Mac has.

My whole point was related to Bedard's article about a rookie wall and I was just using Fields as an example of a guy who had just as long a season last year as Mac did and he's not hitting a rookie wall. The rookie wall might be a thing - but after Mac's game yesterday I think Bedard might want to rethink that take a bit.

OK, you still said you would trade Mac for Lawrence straight up...

The most encouraging thing is the team showing they can string wins together, with some tough opponents mixed into the schedule. Even at 2-4 , the team looked CAPABLE of winning alot of games this year. It was just a question of can they win consistently and avoid the killer mistakes that plagued us during that start. It's almost gotten back to the point where we can go into each game fairly confident for a W here on out.

When they were 2-4 it now feels in a way a little bit similar to when the Pats were 2-2 coming home to face the 3-1 Titties during the 2003 season and when they dropped the Miami & Sh!tsdirt games during the 2018 season... In each case those teams found themselves in positions they had no business finding themselves because of sloppy play, arguable coaching decisions & poor personnel moves...

I'd rather be 8-2 than 6-4, but perhaps that Dall-ass loss finally convinced enough of them that continuing what they were doing was not working, and that things had to be done better in all aspects of the operation, or the season would soon slip away from them before too long...

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back