PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones & the offense: Signs of improvement?

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mac Jones last 3 games:

75.8% comp
8.1 ypa
5 TDs
3 INTs
103.5 passer rating

Last 3 games on offense:

23.7 PPG
327 YPG
5.9 yards per play (11th)

Are they average tackle play away from an average offense?

Let's see if this is a trend or a product of playing some low ranked pass defenses (27th, 18th and 30th respectively in the last 3 games).

Mac has been super legit since day1, very tough, very accurate, very smart, very clutch, also a great leader. One of the best QB prospects in years and arguably not worse than Burrow, Lawrence. Problem is the crappy OLine and oc.

They need to open up the offense and take the training wheels off.. it is beyond absurd not to go for it on a 4th and 3 and give the ball to the Cowboys ( who they could not stop) in OT...

Mac has been super legit since day1, very tough, very accurate, very smart, very clutch, also a great leader. One of the best QB prospects in years and arguably not worse than Burrow, Lawrence. Problem is the crappy OLine and oc.

Clutch? Anyway, lets say he is very protected in his throws by the play calls. He has been very average.

Absolutely...Mac made a few big throws yesterday. On the first drive, a couple of over the top completions when the defense was pressing. The 75-yard TD pass to Bourne was a phenomenal pass with a plenty of velocity; it's one thing to lob the ball downfield and another to make a pass like that one.

I keep pushing back on those who keep saying "I came away realizing that Mac is the answer" because the previous games had just shown me the same thing over and over. I wouldn't say I'm sold on him, but I saw the first major progress in the Dallas game. A guy who will take some risks and can make some tough throws for big gains. He has a long ways to go, but it's progress.

Hopefully over the next few weeks we'll see them open the playbook more. I have never thought the receivers were the problem (though it would help if they were better), and I've thought some of the line issues have resulted from the limited damage he was doing previously against blitzes and stacking the box.

One good takeaway from the offense last night is that Mac is really getting into sync with his receivers. Two big throws last night, the TD to Henry and the long bomb to Bourne, the ball was in the air before both players were out of their breaks. Good sign.

Now if McDumb doesn't turtle anymore, I'm hoping to see more. The answer BB gave that they stopped running in 22 because they ran out of plays was total ********. When we were in 22, we were punching them in the mouth, and of course we went away from that.

It is clear that Jones is getting more continuity with his receivers and the o-line is playing better (could they play any worse?). I think Jones has proven he will be a starter in this league for years to come.

I think his ceiling is unknown at this point. I hate when Gasper keeps throwing names out there and demanding to anyone who give him crap about it to give their ceiling for him. How can you tell based on six games? Would you have said six games into Josh Allen's career that he would be a top QB in the league now? Would you say he would even be a starter in 2021 after six games into his career?

But what you can say about the kid is that he isn't playing like a typical rookie and seems to have the mentality of a seasoned veteran, he has been arguably the best QB in this rookie class thus far, and he is growing every week. Who knows what his trajectory will be, but if he continues to progress like he has he could be an above average QB by the end of the season and potentially much better in subsequent years.

I'm optimistic about Jones based on what we've seen so far. It's still early, though.

they need to dust off the playbook from when they had Gronk and AHern. Henry is starting to get some touches but Jonnu should be targeted at least 7 or 8 times a game.

I love how the Tommy Bradyites are trashing Mac...just because he's not Brady.
No. I talk about players being great when they are actually great. Is he playing OK for a rookie? Yes. But that's all I can say. He has 7 tds and 9 turnovers. That's not trashing, that is giving facts. Nobody said anything about Brady. All you have done since coming here is trash Brady. But if Brady had 7 tds and 9 turnovers through 6 games. People would be calling him to retire.

I thought to myself yesterday, despite the way we lost, there is football after Brady in New England.

That future is Mac Jones.

So stats show what they show. Some stats mean more than others. Some mean squat. So far, he's passed the eye test. He doesn't let mistakes bother him. He plays heads up football for the most part. All that stuff will get better with experience.

so yeah... Mac effing Jones is the man.

I thought to myself yesterday, despite the way we lost, there is football after Brady in New England.

That future is Mac Jones.

So stats show what they show. Some stats mean more than others. Some mean squat. So far, he's passed the eye test. He doesn't let mistakes bother him. He plays heads up football for the most part. All that stuff will get better with experience.

so yeah... Mac effing Jones is the man.
There was always going to be football after Brady, its just what kind of football it was going to be.

Just curious, which stats show more than others?

Let's see if this is a trend or a product of playing some low ranked pass defenses (27th, 18th and 30th respectively in the last 3 games).
I know they are the most popular team in the Country. And have the most fans etc. But I'm not seeing Dallas as a SB threat.

Their pass defense blows and a team like Rams, Cards, Bucs, or GB (All with elite level QB's) will destroy that secondary in the postseason.

Not to mention the fact their coaching is worse than those other teams.

No. I talk about players being great when they are actually great. Is he playing OK for a rookie? Yes. But that's all I can say. He has 7 tds and 9 turnovers. That's not trashing, that is giving facts. Nobody said anything about Brady. All you have done since coming here is trash Brady. But if Brady had 7 tds and 9 turnovers through 6 games. People would be calling him to retire.

I am not going to get into the Brady stuff, but you do realize Trevor Lawrence has as many passing TDs as Jones (he has two more rushing TDs) and 11 turnovers (8 INTs, 3 lost fumbles)? And Lawrence is supposed to be a generational football player. Zach Wilson has 4 TDs and 9 INTs (only played five games though). And he was also supposed to be a potential elite QB someday.

My point is people are talking about Jones' numbers as if they are some kind of abnormality and negatives that other QBs are not experiencing. But he is doing better than the rest of the rookie QB class.

I am not going to get into the Brady stuff, but you do realize Trevor Lawrence has as many passing TDs as Jones (he has two more rushing TDs) and 11 turnovers (8 INTs, 3 lost fumbles)? And Lawrence is supposed to be a generational football player. Zach Wilson has 4 TDs and 9 INTs (only played five games though). And he was also supposed to be a potential elite QB someday.

My point is people are talking about Jones' numbers as if they are some kind of abnormality and negatives that other QBs are not experiencing. But he is doing better than the rest of the rookie QB class.
I am not sure anyone is saying Lawerence is playing good, so not sure of the comparison. So Lawerence has 7 td's and 11 turnovers, Jones has 7 td's and 9 turnovers. Great, they are bother playing average. My point is, call something great when it is great. Its not bashing its just saying what it is. He is basically as average as it gets right now. I mean people are trashing the oline, the defense, the weapons, the coaching. Fact is, this offense is hit or miss and a lot of miss. Its iffy. They are averaging like 19 ppg. You cannot win doing that. That will have to improve. The Qb will have to improve. Basically people want everything else to improve, but frankly this is pretty much what we always had. So so receivers, an oline that is good with the right kind of QB, decent run game. In fact, I will say that we have won superbowls with less than this on offense.

I'd like to see Mac's stats in shotgun vs not in shotgun. Seems like he does better when he's back there vs under center.

I am not sure anyone is saying Lawerence is playing good, so not sure of the comparison. So Lawerence has 7 td's and 11 turnovers, Jones has 7 td's and 9 turnovers. Great, they are bother playing average. My point is, call something great when it is great. Its not bashing its just saying what it is. He is basically as average as it gets right now.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but when I praise Jones, I am grading on a scale. I take into account he is rookie and the talent around him has been playing awful. If he was in year 3 with a solid o-line and proven receivers who have been in this system for a while, I would be looking at his performances far differently.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back