PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones & the offense: Signs of improvement?

If Belichick retired tomorrow, who would you want to replace him with? Just curious because you keep asking the question. And you make a good point that the grass isn’t necessarily greener.

I honestly can’t tell you because I haven’t gotten that far mentally. It’s one thing to criticize the job a guy is doing and another to consider an alternative who might be better but also might be worse.

I believe coaching is generally overrated. It’s only because the team isn’t doing well that in-game decisions stand out so much. I’d be a lot more interested in getting a new GM, scouting person, and again, coordinators, who can come in with outside ideas and challenge Bill.

if Belichick retired tomorrow I would want Jason Licht to replace him as GM, and I would want Sean McDermott to replace him as head coach. Whether or not that’s possible is a different question, and it’s unlikely, so would keep Zeigler and Wolf in place in the front office and I would let MacDaniels run the team until the end of the season. Simply because I believe they owe him that much, and then look at who is actually available. However there’s a big difference between him retiring tomorrow and the Kraft’s firing him, in which case they owe it to everyone involved to have concrete replacements for his roles,As much as I think Jerry Jones sucks he at least had Jimmy Johnson lined up to replace Tom Landry, however he then deluded himself into thinking he knew everything about running a football team and forced Johnson out and the franchise into oblivion for the next 25 years, which is the mistake the Kraft’s could very well make.

If you want to discuss where the franchise is at going forward I’m all for it, and I’ll respond with my thoughts on it, but I don’t think their success this season is what really matters, I think what matters is how it sets them up for the future, as they are going to be replacing the leaders from the Brady dynasties over the next year or two, and that will be key to their future. I want to see them play their asses off the rest of the season, so we find out who the fighters and winners are, then they need a great off-season. That said this has always been my biggest fascination with football, how you go about building a great team piece by piece.

if Belichick retired tomorrow I would want Jason Licht to replace him as GM, and I would want Sean McDermott to replace him as head coach. Whether or not that’s possible is a different question, and it’s unlikely, so would keep Zeigler and Wolf in place in the front office and I would let MacDaniels run the team until the end of the season. Simply because I believe they owe him that much, and then look at who is actually available. However there’s a big difference between him retiring tomorrow and the Kraft’s firing him, in which case they owe it to everyone involved to have concrete replacements for his roles,As much as I think Jerry Jones sucks he at least had Jimmy Johnson lined up to replace Tom Landry, however he then deluded himself into thinking he knew everything about running a football team and forced Johnson out and the franchise into oblivion for the next 25 years, which is the mistake the Kraft’s could very well make.

If you want to discuss where the franchise is at going forward I’m all for it, and I’ll respond with my thoughts on it, but I don’t think their success this season is what really matters, I think what matters is how it sets them up for the future, as they are going to be replacing the leaders from the Brady dynasties over the next year or two, and that will be key to their future. I want to see them play their asses off the rest of the season, so we find out who the fighters and winners are, then they need a great off-season. That said this has always been my biggest fascination with football, how you go about building a great team piece by piece.

Jason Licht? The same guy who drafted a kicker in the 2nd round? LOL

Oh I agree, completion pct is iffy because not all passes are created equal. Mac is a good indicator of that. lol.
Are you high? Mac's completions are much higher quality. We lost two games due to fumbles where Mac played great.

Anyway, he's going to be tearing it up by the end of the season.

A nice compilation of all of Mac's throws from yesterday. Really, the only bad throws he made were the pick 6 to Diggs and the missed throw on 3rd and 3 in OT. I don't understand anyone who is complaining about the level of QB play. The tape tells us that Mac was under duress the whole game.

That's just an exciting video montage

Jason Licht? The same guy who drafted a kicker in the 2nd round? LOL

Mac10 posts suspiciously like an organizational schill.

Licht is light years better than Ziegler. It's not even close. Licht drafted Wirf, Winfield, rebuilt the whole team and just won a ring. Meanwhile Ziegler blew $300M on mostly mediocre free agents and before that oversaw the Sanu trade for a 2nd rounder. A total dead weight in the front office.

Don't forget that one of his INTs was a Hail Mary pass at the end of the game that the Pats had no chance of winning against the Saints. He had another INT in that game where he threw a perfect pass to Jonnu Smith and Smith bobbled it into the defender's hands.

So those are two INTs that were either not his fault or didn't matter because the game was already over. And the third interception he threw in that game, he was getting hit by Antoine Winfield Jr as he was throwing. Still partially on him, but also on the oline.

And I know this isn't the way you play this game (just stating it to counter the false turnover machine narrative), but you take away the Saints game and he has had three INTs in five games. Not bad in the turnover department.

It's not worth your time arguing with people who aren't actuality watching the games and just reading stat lines

Instead of pulling numbers out of your ass, look them up. You'd be surprised how many 50 plus yards tosses there were last year. Also, there are no QBs, ever, with a YPA over 10, so the "most others are in that 15-20 yard range" is complete fiction.
50 yards traveled in the air or 50 yards plus including YAC?

"Belichick is a draconian, old-school coach who muzzles his players and doesn't let them express themselves. Just look at how happy Brady is in Tampa, now!!"

*Kendrick Bourne talks openly about the team, doesn't play it close to the vest, doesn't speak in cliches, is transparent about play-calls and decision making*

"Have we ever heard so much commentary coming from these players in the last 20 years? It's baffling how much things have changed."

"Belichick is a draconian, old-school coach who muzzles his players and doesn't let them express themselves. Just look at how happy Brady is in Tampa, now!!"

*Kendrick Bourne talks openly about the team, doesn't play it close to the vest, doesn't speak in cliches, is transparent about play-calls and decision making*

"Have we ever heard so much commentary coming from these players in the last 20 years? It's baffling how much things have changed."
Drei,

Where's my credit for my quote? Lol

Mac has been super legit since day1, very tough, very accurate, very smart, very clutch, also a great leader. One of the best QB prospects in years and arguably not worse than Burrow, Lawrence. Problem is the crappy OLine and oc.

I 100% agree with this. Mac Jones is the real deal. If the Pats have been losing, it’s not because of QB weakness.

Jones, staff and fans got Agolored. That simple. Big games drops means big game losses. It's gonna be a long season.

Licht is light years better than Ziegler. It's not even close. Licht drafted Wirf, Winfield, rebuilt the whole team and just won a ring. Meanwhile Ziegler blew $300M on mostly mediocre free agents and before that oversaw the Sanu trade for a 2nd rounder. A total dead weight in the front office.

The reason Licht is doing well as GM is because of Brady. Brady is the one who attracted all their free agents to sign in Tampa. Gimme a break. Wirfs is good. Winfield? LOL. Jason Licht was a horrible GM before Brady and he’ll be a horrible GM after Brady. Even the Buccaneer fans would laugh at the notion that Licht is a good GM.

Last edited:
If Belichick retired tomorrow, who would you want to replace him with? Just curious because you keep asking the question. And you make a good point that the grass isn’t necessarily greener.

I honestly can’t tell you because I haven’t gotten that far mentally. It’s one thing to criticize the job a guy is doing and another to consider an alternative who might be better but also might be worse.

I believe coaching is generally overrated. It’s only because the team isn’t doing well that in-game decisions stand out so much. I’d be a lot more interested in getting a new GM, scouting person, and again, coordinators, who can come in with outside ideas and challenge Bill.

I couldn’t disagree more on coaching in the NFL. In college you are probably right, recruiting is what matters most. In baseball, basketball, and probably even hockey you are right, talent wins. In football coaching is essential.

Once again you are making sh.t up. Caserio was in charge of player personnel when they traded for Sanu. Belichick is the one responsible for free agent signings, Zeigler doesn’t get to spend hundreds of millions of Kraft’s money.

Eliot Wolf was responsible for the Agholor signing. he told Belichick” Agholor is the best WR in the league, we have to sign him right now,” and Belichick said “ your in charge Eliot, I don’t know why you are asking me, just give him whatever he wants.”

I couldn’t disagree more on coaching in the NFL. In college you are probably right, recruiting is what matters most. In baseball, basketball, and probably even hockey you are right, talent wins. In football coaching is essential.

Once again you are making sh.t up. Caserio was in charge of player personnel when they traded for Sanu. Belichick is the one responsible for free agent signings, Zeigler doesn’t get to spend hundreds of millions of Kraft’s money.

Ziegler was literally the one who looked at nfl players before Caserio went to Houston. Was literally his job. Stop being in denial. Even if Ziegler tries to backtrack from all the crappy moves and drafts his 2 John Carroll football teammates did for 6 years from 2013-2019, the Sanu for a 2nd rounder is all him, cannot hide from it. And this crappy free agency spending spree is also all Ziegler. BB is surrounded by a bad front office and offensive staff.

Last edited:
Are you high? Mac's completions are much higher quality. We lost two games due to fumbles where Mac played great.

Anyway, he's going to be tearing it up by the end of the season.
If his OL lets him.

If his OL lets him.
It's not just the Oline, they def need some work. But ealry on Mac wasn't doing them any favors by moving outside of his pocket protection

It's not just the Oline, they def need some work. But ealry on Mac wasn't doing them any favors by moving outside of his pocket protection
Mac just needs to learn to get the ball out faster. The OL gave him on several snaps 3 sec to throw which should be plenty of time. I guess he needs the game to slow down a bit more, which comes w/ experience.

Mac just needs to learn to get the ball out faster. The OL gave him on several snaps 3 sec to throw which should be plenty of time. I guess he needs the game to slow down a bit more, which comes w/ experience.
I mean that's a rookie thing in general. Mac is getting the ball out quick generally. Sometimes if you want the big play you have to wait for your guy to get open. So big plays generally require more time in the pocket.

I know the big plays will come with Mac, he's settling in.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back