PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones & the offense: Signs of improvement?

Just noticed this stat after finishing updating the stats portion of the database (I'm still working on the snaps):

Yeah that run on 1st/10 was poorly designed and poorly blocked... Sending both Jake Johnson and ****ing Thanksdad as pullers into the same hole ahead of Harris rather than simply having the Omen follow Jake directly into it? Stupid... Jake had no momentum at all, and ****ing Thanksdad is weak sauce even moving straight ahead, never mind laterally...
i have said this b4 and am saying again. We need better Fullback play. Ben Mason sitting on the practice squad seems to be a waste. #1 ranked FB in the draft. Great lead blocker and can stay back to protect Mac on passing plays. Pick up anyone who gets through the Offensive line. Image Mason and Harris/Rham in the backfield would be able to shake things up and pick up tuff yards to help close out games. But what do I know

2001 skill players were pretty dreadful. But that’s where it ends.

Wiggie & Rutledge I admit were the weakest of the SB-winning TE groups; but our RBs were very good, and I would take both Troy Brown & David Patten (not even including Terry Glenn here) ahead of Any of our current WRs.

This could be more to do with either Jones having to throw the ball quicker because of the o-line not giving him enough time or just not in sync with his receivers yet because there is plenty of film of him hitting Alabama in stride and on target. When it comes to Jones' ability hitting an open receiver in stride, the difference between college and pros and the quality of receivers shouldn't affect whether Jones can make those throws. The pass protection can make a difference and it did here

But in fairness to Jones on that Agholor pass, the interior of the o-line failed and allowed three defenders to rush up the middle and it looks like Jones couldn't step into the throw because he had Cowboy players in his face and was immediately hit after he threw the ball. I think if he had better protection, he might have hit Agholor in stride. This particular play is on the o-line, not Jones.

In fact, I would point to this as a huge positive for Jones that he got rid of the ball before the defense got to him and made a positive play. Many rookie QBs would either dove to the ground to take the sack or just made a wild throw or scrambled out of the pocket and made a wild throw. You see this as Jones not being able to hit Agholor in stride, but I see it as Jones standing in the pocket under pressure and made the play even though he knew he was about to be crushed by three defenders. We are both right, but my viewpoint explains your viewpoint. This was a very Brady-like throw IMO.

I couldn't find the video of the Bolden pass. So I am not sure what the circumstance was.

Rob you can see the seconds on the clock. He had over 3 sec to throw the ball. In the NFL that's plenty of time. He should've thrown it sooner and deeper.

Rob you can see the seconds on the clock. He had over 3 sec to throw the ball. In the NFL that's plenty of time. He should've thrown it sooner and deeper.
Most QB's average throwing under 3 seconds unless they are one of those QB's that run around. So yeah 3 seconds is fine. If he cannot get it off before that, then something is wrong.

I don't care about the numbers because those are all incredibly inflated by a single 75 yard TD pass that was the result of a coverage breakdown. I was very impressed with Mac against the Cowboys, but thought the offense was just "meh" the previous two games. Still think the best QB performance of the year came against the Dolphins, though.

This could be more to do with either Jones having to throw the ball quicker because of the o-line not giving him enough time or just not in sync with his receivers yet because there is plenty of film of him hitting Alabama in stride and on target. When it comes to Jones' ability hitting an open receiver in stride, the difference between college and pros and the quality of receivers shouldn't affect whether Jones can make those throws. The pass protection can make a difference and it did here

But in fairness to Jones on that Agholor pass, the interior of the o-line failed and allowed three defenders to rush up the middle and it looks like Jones couldn't step into the throw because he had Cowboy players in his face and was immediately hit after he threw the ball. I think if he had better protection, he might have hit Agholor in stride. This particular play is on the o-line, not Jones.

In fact, I would point to this as a huge positive for Jones that he got rid of the ball before the defense got to him and made a positive play. Many rookie QBs would either dove to the ground to take the sack or just made a wild throw or scrambled out of the pocket and made a wild throw. You see this as Jones not being able to hit Agholor in stride, but I see it as Jones standing in the pocket under pressure and made the play even though he knew he was about to be crushed by three defenders. We are both right, but my viewpoint explains your viewpoint. This was a very Brady-like throw IMO.

I couldn't find the video of the Bolden pass. So I am not sure what the circumstance was.

This is the kind of throw that stops teams from blitzing - like the Cowboys did there.

Last edited:
I was referring to Mac being better than he is now.

Honestly...I don't understand what we're doing. Are we supposed to be mad Brady left forever and just hate everybody...? As I said, it sucks and I didn't like it, but if it didn't happen, they don't go 7-9 last year and Jones doesn't fall in our laps. Would I prefer Brady? Sure, but what if they won another SB or two and he retired and we cycled through another group of veteran retreads or draft picks that can't play at this level over the course of 5-6yrs or possibly even longer?

All I was trying to point out is I feel like we got lucky to end up with this kid. He's nowhere near as bad as some are making him out to be. I get it - Brady's gone and they're not Super Bowl favorites anymore, but I'm not planning on shutting this place down anytime soon and I feel like we've at least got a guy who will only get better and potentially be the guy who can get them back in the mix to contend for the future.

But like it or not, this is who we've got. I'm not thrilled about them being 2-4, but I'm essentially in the mindset of where I was in 2008 when Cassel was starting. I have no idea what will happen each week and I'm just going to accept the fact it might be a long year but I'm still going to try and enjoy the ride.

I know I’m going to derail this thread Ian but I had to respond because your post echo’s my thoughts. Considering Jonnu is barely running routes, Mac has performed like the 15th-20th QB in the NFL as a rookie with the following offense:

Meyers WR1
Agholor WR2
Bourne WR3
Henry
Harris/Bolden (recently Stevenson)
A mediocre OL

The cherry on top the most RB fumbles in the NFL costing another 13 points atleast. 23 PPG looks better than 20.8 PPG. A reminder what Brady did here once AB & Gordon were released in 2019:

22.1 PPG
81.1 passer rating

Without AB on the field with the Bucs, Brady’s had about 100 passer rating & 30 PPG. Pretty good numbers but not 2016, 2017 Brady with inferior weapons. (I’m taking Evans & Godwin over those supporting casts).

Brady is great. It’s fun to follow him. I’d argue his ability to carry a weak supporting cast isn’t there anymore & his production in Tampa is in part due to having one of the greatest WR trios in NFL history. Are we suppose to believe 2010 Brady that won MVP with two rookie TEs, 2013 Brady that led a top 10 offense with Edelman & rookie WRs that were barely NFL caliber or 2016 Brady that was a man on a mission with Edelman, Bennett, Amendola & Hogan wouldn’t be setting records with this Bucs supporting cast?

I miss the GOAT & wish it ended differently. I wish they drafted AJ Brown & traded for Sanders instead of Sanu. They didn’t & the pats offense was broken with Tom in 2019, would’ve been the same mess in 2020 & I’m not convinced would’ve been that much better right now.

Mac was thrust into an offense with a weak supporting cast mostly due to OL regression with next to no camp or preseason reps as the QB1. In games where the OL wasn’t a sieve he’s displayed the ability to throw downfield (Dolphins, Cowboys). While the other rookie QBs are struggling to do anything productive Mac’s play is heating up & starting to be comparable to other pretty good QBs:

9D30CF3C-E992-4504-906D-FC85BABF0B88.jpeg

Evidence is mounting they may have drafted a franchise QB 15th overall. While I’m frustrated with the record and BB’s conservativeness on 4th down fans should be excited the team may have gotten lucky at the most important position.

I'm glad that play turned out the way it did, but there's no denying the safety should've:

1. Picked off the pass, or
2. At the very least, blown up Bourne.

Instead, he completely missed making any sort of play. That's why DAL was dead last in passing D coming into the game (worse than TB).

Are we supposed to be mad Brady left forever and just hate everybody.
See, sometimes even the owner has to be pulled aside and asked "Have you seen what's going on around here?"

Alfred was right - some people do just want to watch the world burn.

Cassel was starting.
That was a fun year especially in December. No expectations and being happy with each win. Will always wonder what would have happened if the schedule was just a tad longer. Pats were starting to play some good football at the exact time you want to.

Mac is the man for always taking the blame
Eh I heard a lot of that last year from our ex QB. This year it's like whatever.

I liked Edelman's comment that we should stop making the rookie excuse for Mac. He's not a raw rookie anymore, he's coming up on halfway through his 1st year season.

Mac is the man for always taking the blame
So now we have players going rogue on play calls? Bourne says it was a mistake but then says "thought" he could get there faster on the one-step slant. WTF

Another thing, have we ever heard so much commentary coming from these players in the last 20 years? It's baffling how much things have changed.

speaking of the offense...can we get Kendrick bournce more than 1/3 of the snaps? hes the best WR on the team (no its not Meyers)....why is he getting backseated to ovetrpaid Agholor

speaking of the offense...can we get Kendrick bournce more than 1/3 of the snaps? hes the best WR on the team (no its not Meyers)....why is he getting backseated to ovetrpaid Agholor
I'll keep Agholor out there and throw deep to him when possible, thank you.

But I agree with your premise: Bourne and Jonnu Smith are two guys who should be getting targets. They can make things happen after the catch. Bourne looks way faster than Meyers with the ball.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back