PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones & the offense: Signs of improvement?

Picture Mac Jones on the sideline and at his postgame interviews.

He's a kid, literally. Baby-faced, inexperienced, and clearly he's putting a ton of emotions into this season. He's raw, physically and emotionally, and still has a lot of room to grow. Despite that, he's playing about as well as we could hope for. Mentally tough, accurate as heck, clearly preparing and studying as hard as he can.

Now imagine Mac Jones in 2-3 years ... or even next season. With an NFL body, more physically/emotionally matured, with NFL experience under his belt. A stronger core/lower body, better arm velocity, calloused and physically hardened.

This guy is going to be a lot of fun to watch moving into the future.

Last edited:
Byron Leftwich is top of the HC lists. Bucs had a very innovative defense last year taking down Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes and a lot of creativity on the way to become World Champions. This season blowing the roof off multiple offensive metrics. 34 points per game and #1 passing in the league. Byron Leftwich looks phenomenal as an offensive coordinator right now.

FTFY

Picture Mac Jones on the sideline and at his postgame interviews.

He's a kid, literally. Baby-faced, inexperienced, and clearly he's putting a ton of emotions into this season. He's raw, physically and emotionally, and still has a lot of room to grow. Despite that, he's playing about as well as we could hope for. Mentally tough, accurate as heck, clearly preparing and studying as hard as he can.

Now imagine Mac Jones in 2-3 years ... or even next season. With an NFL body, more physically/emotionally matured, with NFL experience under his belt. A stronger core/lower body, better arm velocity, calloused and physically hardened.

This guy is going to be a lot of fun to watch moving into the future.

Mac Jones is the real deal. I am still conflicted that he played so soon. I think if he sat a year he'd come out of the gate on fire. Now he's thrown into a bad situation with a crappy OLine and bad oc, all potentially messing up his confidence, how he reads defenses, how he feels in the pocket.

Mac Jones is the real deal. I am still conflicted that he played so soon. I think if he sat a year he'd come out of the gate on fire. Now he's thrown into a bad situation with a crappy OLine and bad oc, all potentially messing up his confidence, how he reads defenses, how he feels in the pocket.

I think the baptism by fire is the best thing that could happen to him.

Imagine any stressful, challenging situation that involves a lot of adversity. If you manage to make it through that, gain the experience, everything afterwards feels that much easier.

The only caveat would be if the person in question can't handle the adversity they're facing but it's clear Mac Jones isn't that guy.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I think the baptism by fire is the best thing that could happen to him.

Imagine any stressful, challenging situation that involves a lot of adversity. If you manage to make it through that, gain the experience, everything afterwards feels that much easier.

The only caveat would be if the person in question can't handle the adversity they're facing but it's clear Mac Jones isn't that guy.

I think if Brady played in 2000 he would have looked.... not good. Players need time to develop especially at the QB position. Mac is doing great getting thrown in early but I think he could have benefitted sitting a year.

Byron Leftwich is top of the HC lists. Bucs had a very innovative offense last year taking down Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes and a lot of creativity on the way to become World Champions. This season blowing the roof off multiple offensive metrics. 34 points per game and #1 passing in the league. Byron Leftwich looks phenomenal as an offensive coordinator right now.

It really Tom Brady's offense. Brady even told (caught on mic) Josh Mcd after the game that he will steal some of his plays. Even the SB nfl films he tells leftwich to call the same play again and stick with it something of that sort.

Some good self scouting by jones i felt. Tells you the coaching staff sees a lot of things we thing they dont.

Jones said he didn’t set his feet properly on the throw, which sailed high and hit off Bourne’s fingertips.

“I definitely could have made a better throw, but it was the exact look we wanted,” Jones said on WEEI. “I don’t know. I just need to calm my feet down, step into my throw and deliver a good through and allow the guys to run with the ball. Some of my shorter throws were just a little off, and I’ll definitely make that a point of emphasis this week.

“My drops, I think, have been better on the deep stuff, but I need to improve on the short, quick-game stuff. So that’s something I can work on and focus on. Trust my training and just step into the throw and make it.”

It really Tom Brady's offense. Brady even told (caught on mic) Josh Mcd after the game that he will steal some of his plays. Even the SB nfl films he tells leftwich to call the same play again and stick with it something of that sort.

He still uses the Hoss-y-juke from our playbook. Saw it last time they played.

they need to dust off the playbook from when they had Gronk and AHern. Henry is starting to get some touches but Jonnu should be targeted at least 7 or 8 times a game.

I agree, I thought that was the idea when they doubled up at TE in free agency. And WR may well be the weakest unit on the team.

really?

huh... you have watched him play and come to that conclusion?

So I guess at this point you are just trolling / being a deliberate asshat then. Good to know. Life is too short to have to listen to people like you.

Maybe talk to you next season when I do the new season purge of the ignore list.

Yep, this is the same conclusion I have come to, it’s a troll.

they need to dust off the playbook from when they had Gronk and AHern. Henry is starting to get some touches but Jonnu should be targeted at least 7 or 8 times a game.

Dust off the playbook from the offensive combo of the literal GOAT TE and someone who would have been a perennial pro-bowler for a decade if not for murdering people? Yeah, it’s not quite that easy.

Need a fresh take on offense. Until then, I see the same handcuffed offense with occasional glimpses of hope.

Dust off the playbook from the offensive combo of the literal GOAT TE and someone who would have been a perennial pro-bowler for a decade if not for murdering people? Yeah, it’s not quite that easy.
No one is suggesting they'll be literal clones. Henry isn't the blocker GRONK was, for starters.

But they were able to use them creatively, and they should be able to use Smith and Henry in similar ways.

Just what kind of football is exactly my point - Good Football.
Phew. I thought you were going to go John Madden there and talk about great great football.

Overall, I think Mac played an excellent game. That pass to Henry was perfectly thrown and the video showed his anticipation.

Trying not to be negative, but just pointing out how big plays and big YAC opportunities can be missed by just looking at where wide receivers catch the ball. It can also be about the throws and where they put the receiver.

Here’s the second pass of the game to Bolden. I tried to pause it at the exact moment. There’s no defenders behind Bolden, so a pass that hits him in stride may be a 61 yard touchdown. Instead the ball is underthrown and Bolden has to come back to catch it and falls down. The Patriots scored anyway. It isn’t a pass that every QB is going to make, but the big play opportunity is there.

View attachment 36741

Here’s another one…a lot of people knock Agholor’s supposed lack of playmaking skills, but look where he is right here. Is a good throw a touchdown? Maybe, maybe not. A great one is a touchdown. The throw instead falls short and Agholor has to slow down and make a falling catch. Another big play that’s there. I’ll take the completion, but let’s note that McDaniels and Agholor did their job in getting him behind the defense.

View attachment 36742

This could be more to do with either Jones having to throw the ball quicker because of the o-line not giving him enough time or just not in sync with his receivers yet because there is plenty of film of him hitting Alabama in stride and on target. When it comes to Jones' ability hitting an open receiver in stride, the difference between college and pros and the quality of receivers shouldn't affect whether Jones can make those throws. The pass protection can make a difference and it did here

But in fairness to Jones on that Agholor pass, the interior of the o-line failed and allowed three defenders to rush up the middle and it looks like Jones couldn't step into the throw because he had Cowboy players in his face and was immediately hit after he threw the ball. I think if he had better protection, he might have hit Agholor in stride. This particular play is on the o-line, not Jones.

In fact, I would point to this as a huge positive for Jones that he got rid of the ball before the defense got to him and made a positive play. Many rookie QBs would either dove to the ground to take the sack or just made a wild throw or scrambled out of the pocket and made a wild throw. You see this as Jones not being able to hit Agholor in stride, but I see it as Jones standing in the pocket under pressure and made the play even though he knew he was about to be crushed by three defenders. We are both right, but my viewpoint explains your viewpoint. This was a very Brady-like throw IMO.

I couldn't find the video of the Bolden pass. So I am not sure what the circumstance was.

Last edited:
One good takeaway from the offense last night is that Mac is really getting into sync with his receivers. Two big throws last night, the TD to Henry and the long bomb to Bourne, the ball was in the air before both players were out of their breaks. Good sign.

Now if McDumb doesn't turtle anymore, I'm hoping to see more. The answer BB gave that they stopped running in 22 because they ran out of plays was total ********. When we were in 22, we were punching them in the mouth, and of course we went away from that.
The drop by Agholor in overtime really hurt. The pass was perfectly on target and in stride. If he doesn't drop it, he could have gone all the way but Nelson is Nelson and I saw this ( the dropsies at crucial time )when he was in Philly.....

He throws an accurate ball, makes good decisions and can move in the pocket. That's a recipe for a long NFL career.

Sure he's not mobile, but neither was Brady or Jimmy G. That's not what the Patriots look for with this offense.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back