PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones appreciation thread

I love him - but he had that bizarre play in the Steelers game. I remember cringing when that happened.
Yup thinking Joey Porter dropping a pick 6. That was one guy I never want to see make any play against the Patriots anytime.

Drew was stuck with garbage at the WR position for so long that he became solely dependent on elite TE play in order to excel. That's a personnel problem. He was also a victim of his time, as he came about during the league-wide transition from a Cowboys/Steelers type of offense to passing games built more around the 49ers/Oilers concepts.

Still, if the Patriots had beaten the Packers in the Super Bowl, Bledsoe would likely be in the HOF.
Glenn, Jefferson, Brown and Brisby were a pretty good group. The running game after Martin left and Edwards got the career ending injury is what made that offense sputter. The era was if you couldn't run, you couldn't throw.

Mac has taken 14 sacks. That's an average of 2 per game giving him 34 over a full season. Brady had 41 in his first full season. Not bad.

Other rookies:
Lawrence: 10
Wilson: 19
Fields: 22 (6 games)
Not counting Lance he's not the starter in SF.

Edit: Forgot Davis Mills: 15 (6 games)

Mac has taken 14 sacks. That's an average of 2 per game giving him 34 over a full season. Brady had 41 in his first full season. Not bad.

Other rookies:
Lawrence: 10
Wilson: 19
Fields: 22 (6 games)
Not counting Lance he's not the starter in SF.
Field is on pace for what, 62?

dead GIF

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
Glenn, Jefferson, Brown and Brisby were a pretty good group. The running game after Martin left and Edwards got the career ending injury is what made that offense sputter. The era was if you couldn't run, you couldn't throw.

1. Please don't make me explain the many ways that Brisby sucked. In fact, I refuse to do so. But Brisby sucked.
  2. Jefferson was really a 2 year guy (96-97)
  3. Brown's window was just a few years at the end of Bledsoe's time
  4. Glenn had his rookie year (1996), then a lost year, and then a 3 year window (1998-2000)

Bledsoe was able to throw largely in spite of his WR groups, rather than because of them. That's a part of why he became so overly reliant on his TE1.

I'd have to look it up but I'd imagine that would put him in the top 10 all time for most sacked in a season.
Nothing says welcome to the NFL like making a top 10 list.

...that no one wants to be on.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
He had 10 20+ yard throws yesterday. 19 previously. So yes, he hit way more downfield throws yesterday.
No he didn’t. I have the chart in front of me and he was 1/6 on 15+ yds throws. The only completion being the Bourne catch. He didn’t hit more downfield at all yesterday.

Edit: I am a little tired. I see what you meant. I thought you were saying he had 10 20+ completion. but still, he didn’t have 10 but 5 20+ yds throw. From what I could count from next gen stats, Mac threw 29 20+ yds this season which put the average at 4.14 20+ yds passes/games. It is skewed by the Saints game though where he threw 12. If you remove this game, it’s 17 in 6 games = 2.83 avg. so yes, he threw a little bit more downfield yesterday

Last edited:
Listening to the pundits defend Fields this morning, and blame everything on Nagy and the O.C., was painful.
How many times has a player looked like he has over the first 6 games and went on to have a good career? Regardless of anyone else on his team he looks like he's completely lost. Hurts will be out the league soon too.

No he didn’t. I have the chart in front of me and he was 1/6 on 15+ yds throws. The only completion being the Bourne catch. He didn’t hit more downfield at all yesterday.

Edit: I am a little tired. I see what you meant. I thought you were saying he had 10 20+ completion. but still, he didn’t have 10 but 5 20+ yds throw. From what I could count from next gen stats, Mac threw 29 20+ yds this season which put the average at 4.14 20+ yds passes/games. It is skewed by the Saints game where he threw 12. If you remove this game, it’s 17 in 6 games = 2.83 avg
Also, in defense of @LFGMac10 - because those were my numbers:

Those were team-wide, not all Mac's, because obviously Hoyer finished and Bourne had one.

And the plays I'm referring to were the total gain (catch and run), not necessarily the ball in the air.

Listening to the pundits defend Fields this morning, and blame everything on Nagy and the O.C., was painful.

It’s unreal. Even Romo made some comment that he needs help, as the replay is being shown of him immediately bailing from the pocket and ramming into a defender. I just can’t believe how something so basic as ”the benefits of staying in the pocket” is so widely misunderstood.

Having one of the top 100 margin-of-victory games out of 14,000+ games in the superbowl era is not good enough for you?

A couple of things I like about this data. Number one, the Pats have delivered eight of the 100 worst beatdowns and have only been on the receiving end of two. Secondly, they have given an historic drubbing to every team in their division. Third, they have three separate historic thrashings of the Jets.

Last edited:
It’s unreal. Even Romo made some comment that he needs help, as the replay is being shown of him immediately bailing from the pocket and ramming into a defender. I just can’t believe how something so basic as ”the benefits of staying in the pocket” is so widely misunderstood.
On the fumbles 100% agree. On the INT though only one was on him. The first one the team told him in the headset to snap it quick and take a shot because they thought the Bucs had 12 men on the field. That’s coaching and apparently they did the same thing the week before and one INT went right threw the wr hands. I also saw him throw some nice ball.

Mac has been the best rookie QB this year by a mile but we can’t ignore the fact that he is also in the best situation of all the rookie QB. Do you think Fields would be this bad if he was drafted by the patriots? I don’t and I am not a Fields guy. Chicago is not putting him in the best position to succeed.

On the fumbles 100% agree. On the INT though only one was on him. The first one the team told him in the headset to snap it quick and take a shot because they thought the Bucs had 12 men on the field. That’s coaching and apparently they did the same thing the week before and one INT went right threw the wr hands. I also saw him throw some nice ball.

Mac has been the best rookie QB this year by a mile but we can’t ignore the fact that he is also in the best situation of all the rookie QB. Do you think Fields would be this bad if he was drafted by the patriots? I don’t and I am not a Fields guy. Chicago is not putting him in the best position to succeed.
I sort of wonder if you went back and looked at all the QBs drafted how many might have excelled elsewhere. Obviously, it's impossible to know, but when you see it happen, it's hard not to wonder if the coaching - or just the organizations - are really is that inept. Like the Jets/Dolphins/etc. You can't possibly cycle through that many guys and have 100% be bad. I just don't feel like that's possible.

I sort of wonder if you went back and looked at all the QBs drafted how many might have excelled elsewhere. Obviously, it's impossible to know, but when you see it happen, it's hard not to wonder if the coaching - or just the organizations - are really is that inept. Like the Jets/Dolphins/etc. You can't possibly cycle through that many guys and have 100% be bad. I just don't feel like that's possible.
If the NEP go to the playoffs and Mac is ORoY Josh will be a HC somewhere.

Between he and BB they have done a great job with Mac.

Could/would they have done the same with Lawrence, Fields, etc? Not sure. Every coaching philosophy, system and org is different.

You can criticize the NEP for not identifying talent early (draft, FA) but once they know they have a talented player they nurture and bring them along in a measured way. Mac....Dugger....Barmore. Once the player proves they can handle the load, they get it but not before.

I'm not sure other franchises have that same philosophy. Watching Fields trying to doggie paddle in that ocean during a storm vs TB was awful to watch.

I don't think Mac is the type of QB that the DC's can take his strengths away. He's like Brees or Brady, he can make every throw on the field, he's not a run out of the pocket guy, he's a hit the open man guy. How do you really game plan for that when every week you can make a different target your focus based on the opponents weaknesses.

I think every QB can have their strengths taken away, their ability to overcome it is one of the factors that go into being a really good or great QB. I think his game is patterned more on guys like Brees, Manning, and Brady but DC’s still found ways to get them off base. Spagnola clearly did it to Brady, Belichick did it to Manning on a number of occasions, and Belichick did it to Brady a few weeks ago, and those are three of the best QB’s in league history.

I appreciate his development, but that needs to translate into a playoff appearance by season end.I also wanna start seeing signature win out of this team.

So you expect them to go 9-2 the rest of the way or his season isn’t a success?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back