PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones appreciation thread

Last edited:
The line finally gave him time. Perfect throw. I’m not surprised by that throw, saw him do that many times at Alabama.
Prettier throw than anything Newton had last year. What a difference a year, and a QB that doesn't suck makes.

High Five GIF by MOODMAN

For older fans... how was Bledsoe his rookie season? Is Mac as a rookie better than rookie Bledsoe or no?
Different times, tough to compare. Offenses were easier to learn in the 1990s. Mac is definitely way more accurate, but you were able to mug receivers in the 1970s-1990s. Drew was under 50% pass completion percentage as a rookie, threw 15 TD passes and 15 INTs. Drew had a cannon, but wasn’t as cerebral and accurate as Mac. Also Mac is at least 2 years older than when Drew came into the league. Very tough to compare those two rookies.

Saw this on Twitter and thought this was a cool video comparing the two throws yesterday, which was obviously a great job by Jones:

Not that it means anything, but Mac's throw was a little better here. Tom's could have been just a touch more in front of Evans, while Mac's couldn't have been placed any better.

Not so surprising, when the run game got smothered by the Saints, Mac had his worst game of the year. When they ran wild against the Jets, Mac had arguably his best game of the year. I think it’s important to look at context in both cases and note that most any QB will have similar splits.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Mac's toughness and ability to avoid injury so far while being pounded.

It isn't that he wasn't tough at Alabama, but the Alabama OL definitely protected him way better, plus, he had a great running game at Alabama also. I thought he might need a NFL strength and conditioning program for a year before being physically ready to take the pounding that a NFL QB does (the way that Tom Brady admitted was the case with him), but so far so good with Mac, knock on wood.
Mac had a great OL and RBs at Bama and that did keep him from getting hit a lot. He also had one of the best strength and conditioning programs in the county.
He may not have built the most muscle mass, but he was strong and his body is very fit and conditioned. That is why he can take all these hit and not get hurt and also the mental aspect of taking these hits and still able to stay in game.

Mac had a great OL and RBs at Bama and that did keep him from getting hit a lot. He also had one of the best strength and conditioning programs in the county.
He may not have built the most muscle mass, but he was strong and his body is very fit and conditioned. That is why he can take all these hit and not get hurt and also the mental aspect of taking these hits and still able to stay in game.
Yea but is Mac pliable?

If hes pliable, eats avocados and sprinkles flaxseed on his chicken he'll have a 20+ year NFL career guaranteed

The great thing about rookie QBs whose only question mark is the strength of their arms is that arm strength can actually be improved. Brady did it. Brady actually threw passes with more zip on them than any QB in the league. Others may have had stronger arms, but no one threw with more zip in a game. Players would take something off for accuracy. Brady didnt

WTF are you talking about. This isn't facebook. He posted here on this forum, I replied to his post, it was simply asking him a question, to which he didn't reply. I don't really care, it was actually pretty rhetorical. Only person that seems butt hurt is you @Tony2046 but then I don't really give a **** about what you think so GFY. @Tony2046 Plus I don't have any issues with Deus, he cares more about Brady than the Patriots, different than I, but that doesn't bother me. Plus he ****s on everyone. He is, however, a big boy and doesn't need you to defend him.
OK...let's get off this topic. Let's keep the thread focused on Mac and away from stuff like this, which isn't related to the real topic of this thread.

OK...let's get off this topic. Let's keep the thread focused on Mac and away from stuff like this, which isn't related to the real topic of this thread.
We're on to the Chargers :cool:

(and Mac has been surprisingly good this season ;) )

Feels nice to have an NFL QB again. We haven't had once since January 2020.

I remember thinking Drew had some decent games and some bad ones. I was optimistic Drew was going to have a very good NFL career.

What I know for a fact is Mac is already a better game manager and more accurate than Drew ever was.

Drew's problems were always INTs...

Drew's problems were always INTs...
Drew had a great arm, and he had heart. He just didn't seem to have the right mental make up to take it to the next level. It just seemed that when the moment got the biggest Drew didn't step up.

I’m a full blown believer in Mac. Have been since week 1. There hasn’t been a single moment in time where I’ve doubted that. None of our four losses is on him.

He’s performing as well as I could’ve hoped for, for a rookie.

Trevor Lawrence never lost a game in high school. And they never played each other at the collegiate level.
They have gone head to head in competitions, that is what he's referring too.

Jones has thrown for two touchdowns of over 40 yards? I am drawing blanks trying to recall which two plays those were.
a 75 yarder to Bourne was one of them

Way too early to judge any of these QB’s. I love the way Mac has played so far, but he still has to show he can stay on the field, deal with losing his key skill players, play well when DC’s take away his strengths, and handle all the adversity that goes with playing QB in the NFL. Same goes for every young QB. These tests, as well as the fact that Brady was still playing like a top QB was why I was so opposed to trading Brady and keeping Garrapolo. I liked Garrapolo, but he hadn’t passed those tests, although it’s admittedly difficult to pass some of them when the starter never goes down. We will have a much better sense of where they all stand by the end of the 2022 season.
I don't think Mac is the type of QB that the DC's can take his strengths away. He's like Brees or Brady, he can make every throw on the field, he's not a run out of the pocket guy, he's a hit the open man guy. How do you really game plan for that when every week you can make a different target your focus based on the opponents weaknesses.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back