PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones appreciation thread

I'd rather Mac have a bona fide OL. Everyone looks good against the Jets. But the Chargers DL might just kill Mac if they get open runs at him like he has had to suffer in earlier games this season. Oh and he would have had a bona fide WR already if our WR drafting wasn't akin to having the 'dog' make the picks. Maybe that's what BB did? Who knows but it's a putrefying track record in New England.

VSZsi3o.jpeg

I kept thinking about some of these better teams they’ve played like Dallas and Tampa Bay. They may have lost both but I’m pretty sure most of us, myself included thought the Pats didnt have a chance. Every loss minus the Saints game was up for grabs. The last two games this offense has opened it up for a explosion of yards and points. The ride is getting fun to watch for this rebuild.

So with The upcoming Chargers game I’m all in that this game will be winnable. Bar none, Herberts worst game of his career was vs the Pats last season. They certainly have a chance to pull this out and even up at 4-4.

While people here are overselling what the kid has done so far (he's been good, but some of the hype has gone overboard), there's no question that, at least for this season, we should all appreciate that he's the N.E. starter, and not Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, or Justin Fields.
Thank goodness. I cannot imagine what this board would be like if one of those guys were our quarterback.

He is young and he is becoming better and better every week. I can literally see it every week how good he is getting. The key is protect him and give him a chance to make plays. The o-line did a good job today and we also ran the ball effectively today so that helped a lot.

With that said let’s not give too much credit…we only beat the Jets.

Mac has repeatedly beaten Trevor Lawrence going back to high school days. Might end up being Brady v Manning kind of career competition.
Trevor Lawrence never lost a game in high school. And they never played each other at the collegiate level.

Hoped that somehow the Pats would trade up for Jones and draft him, which was unnecessary.. from my view he is even better that expected, he will make mistakes and screw up occasionally, overall his performance in the first 7 weeks of the NFL is better than expected and in time will continue to improve.. now he needs to find Meyers in the endzone..

Deus what makes a great rookie Qb in your mind? Since Mac has already set a couple rookie records, beat out the corpse of a former pro bowl qb to start, and has so far, indisputably been the best rookie qb of this much heralded rookie qb draft class? Perhaps you have unrealistic expectations??

While people here are overselling what the kid has done so far (he's been good, but some of the hype has gone overboard), there's no question that, at least for this season, we should all appreciate that he's the N.E. starter, and not Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, or Justin Fields.

I like how you can't bring yourself to say "we should all appreciate that he was drafted here in NE." which might be construed as giving our front office praise and you've established you think you're way smarter than them.

You have to say "that he's the N.E. starter" as though he just sort of appeared one night after McDaniels wished really, really hard on a twinkling star.

It still looks to me that Mac isn't getting enough pass protection, despite yesterday's o-line improvement. On almost every play Mac was hurried to make a throw with some defender in the backfield. I would love to see Mac with a real offensive line.

Some haters want it both ways :

If you rag on the team’s weapons (as many have done), you should be even MORE impressed w Mac. If you mention the INTs w/o factoring in the crazy off-the-hands-of-the-receiver doinks, you are just spitting out numbers w/o context.

Truth is, Mac has faced some good and some poor competition. But when you look back at how rookies have fared in their league (doubly so in the last few years) and compare that to what Mac’s early work : it’s even more impressive.

An accurate, smart, hard-working youngster is playing QB for the team you (supposedly) cheer for after ONE 7-9 (not 2-14) transition year and some ‘fans’ are still in a hissy.

Deus what makes a great rookie Qb in your mind? Since Mac has already set a couple rookie records, beat out the corpse of a former pro bowl qb to start, and has so far, indisputably been the best rookie qb of this much heralded rookie qb draft class? Perhaps you have unrealistic expectations??

Why didn't you @Deus Irae ?

It's clear Bill made the right call and moved on. 15 years of Mac is better than 3 years of Brady.
Too soon to say “15 years of Mac” but I really hope it’s many. QB purgatory really sucks.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back