PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones appreciation thread

Yesterday they started to loosen the reins on Mac and this is the result. Funny how that works.

Often things BB does goes overlooked because we don't understand his plan.

BB looking at the schedule in August, " We'll keep reins on Mac to not kill his confidence and unleash him game seven because it's the easiest game of the year. We might get a few losses, but what's important is 15 years of a confident Mac."

They even wasted trick plays against the Jets to guarantee it.

Maybe this isn't true, but Bill chose the right game to loosen the reins from Mac development perspective.

While people here are overselling what the kid has done so far (he's been good, but some of the hype has gone overboard), there's no question that, at least for this season, we should all appreciate that he's the N.E. starter, and not Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, or Justin Fields.

Among NFL starters, Mac is 9th in Yards, 1st in completion %, 5th in number of completions, and has 2 passes (edit) of over 40 yards compared to Tommy Boy's 3. He outplayed Brady head-to-head and nearly beat Dak. The hype is overboard?

Last edited:
It's clear Bill made the right call and moved on. 15 years of Mac is better than 3 years of Brady.

I don't think there's any universe in which I can say it was the "right" call for the New England Patriots to move on from Tom Brady; the world would be a better place had he played his entire career in a Patriots uniform.

That aside, I'm thrilled with Mac Jones and couldn't be happier we have him. I do agree with you, assuming Mac stays healthy, our future is very bright for the next decade+.

Among NFL starters, Mac is 9th in Yards, 1st in completion %, 5th in number of completions, and has 2 TDs of over 40 yards compared to Tommy Boy's 3. He outplayed Brady head-to-head and nearly beat Dak. The hype is overboard?

Jones has thrown for two touchdowns of over 40 yards? I am drawing blanks trying to recall which two plays those were.

Any discussion should start with Mac Jones having one of the best rookie seasons with Jakobi Meyers as his WR1. Here are the rookie QBs by passer rating since 2012:

6FD2EE47-F1E6-4E15-9903-63763A91BD13.jpeg

• franchise QB
  • franchise QB derailed by injuries
  • franchise QB
  • franchise QB
  • starter, tbd
  • Mac Jones
  • bust
  • lost every game as a starter
  • not a rookie
  • franchise QB
Can he continue to improve? We’ll see but this is the company he’s keeping so far.

Jones has thrown for two touchdowns of over 40 yards? I am drawing blanks trying to recall which two plays those were.
There was one just last week.

The biggest thing by far is that he is improving every game, his numbers would be considered very good for any veteran, so having that on a Rookie is absolutely amazing.

Now, quick not on McDaniels that should be noted. Playcalling aside, he deserves a ton of credit so far. Without a good coordinator behind, he would not prosper like this, and you can see that he is reading the field very well already, identifying zones, blitzers. That is McD spending A LOT of hours dissecting film with Jones, Im willing to bet.

And I am still waiting for the rookie wall. Common sense says he will hit it and no DC in the league is a complete scrub. If he continues like this for the rest of the season?

We might have found another great one

Yeah 1 TD vs. Dallas.

One was the 75 yarder to Bourne against Dallas. Can't recall the other one.

Sorry, I meant 2 PASSES of over 40 yards. Still only 1 behind Brady.

There was one just last week.

OK, can you remind me what play specifically you're referencing? I didn't make that remark about not remembering those things happening that to be obtuse - I genuinely don't recall the plays.

Sorry, I meant 2 PASSES of over 40 yards. Still only 1 behind Brady.

Gotcha, that makes much more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Yesterday they started to loosen the reins on Mac and this is the result. Funny how that works.
Did they really? To me, it looked pretty similar to what they have done from the beginning of the year. He had the one long ball to Bourne which was beautiful but that was pretty much it. The big difference in this game was the Jets couldn’t stop the screen game. They had like 3 screens that went for 25+ yds. In previous games thoses screen would have been caught for less than 5 yds or the receiver would be caught in the backfield. I don’t criticize Mac play, he was good but the difference wasn’t necessarily him but the better general execution by the offense in my opinion. Run game was outstanding, OL played very well.

that’s Mac throwing chart:

934B54EE-BD46-4508-8E0C-9240065C6B8D.jpeg

One was the 75 yarder to Bourne against Dallas. Can't recall the other one.

D'oh, that's right. MAC10 clarified he meant two passes of over 40 yards, so I guess it's one touchdown of over 40 yards, and two passes of over 40 yards; both went to Bourne.

Good stuff!

Reactions: sb1
I kept thinking about some of these better teams they’ve played like Dallas and Tampa Bay. They may have lost both but I’m pretty sure most of us, myself included thought the Pats didnt have a chance. Every loss minus the Saints game was up for grabs. The last two games this offense has opened it up for a explosion of yards and points. The ride is getting fun to watch for this rebuild.

So with The upcoming Chargers game I’m all in that this game will be winnable. Bar none, Herberts worst game of his career was vs the Pats last season. They certainly have a chance to pull this out and even up at 4-4.

Yep. This is a critical game for them, but if they win it we may well be saying that for the rest of the season. Realistically they have to go 9-2 the rest of the way to have a shot at the playoffs, and that’s a huge hill to climb. Either way it’s how they compete for the rest of the season that will matter most for their future.

Did they really? To me, it looked pretty similar to what they have done from the beginning of the year. He had the one long ball to Bourne which was beautiful but that was pretty much it. The big difference in this game was the Jets couldn’t stop the screen game. They had like 3 screens that went for 25+ yds. In previous games thoses screen would have been caught for less than 5 yds or the receiver would be caught in the backfield. I don’t criticize Mac play, he was good but the difference wasn’t necessarily him but the better general execution by the offense in my opinion. Run game was outstanding, OL played very well.

that’s Mac throwing chart:

View attachment 36905
I think they did.. He ran a 2 minute drill. Threw on 4th down. He is also now throwing strikes to the end zone. Overthrew Henry there but Henry brought it in. Reading the field and taking the best matchup. Was not an A+ game but I saw a lot of progress.

0 TD’s, 3 INT’s, 2 Fumbles yesterday… where did all those guys who insisted not trading up for Justin Fields was a mistake go?

0 TD’s, 3 INT’s, 2 Fumbles yesterday… where did all those guys who insisted not trading up for Justin Fields was a mistake go?

Way too early to judge any of these QB’s. I love the way Mac has played so far, but he still has to show he can stay on the field, deal with losing his key skill players, play well when DC’s take away his strengths, and handle all the adversity that goes with playing QB in the NFL. Same goes for every young QB. These tests, as well as the fact that Brady was still playing like a top QB was why I was so opposed to trading Brady and keeping Garrapolo. I liked Garrapolo, but he hadn’t passed those tests, although it’s admittedly difficult to pass some of them when the starter never goes down. We will have a much better sense of where they all stand by the end of the 2022 season.

Mac has repeatedly beaten Trevor Lawrence going back to high school days. Might end up being Brady v Manning kind of career competition.
beat him in what?

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back