Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mike Reiss‏Verified account @MikeReiss
Replying to @AntonChigurh81
Hi Anton. Would say no at this point. A player needs to be on the practice field to be ready for game action.

Mike Reiss‏Verified account @MikeReiss 1h1 hour ago
Yes, Kelly, I do wonder if that's one they second-guess themselves on.

(About putting him on PUP list)

Looks like he didn't rule out putting him on IR for 6 weeks if that's what it will take...but just speculation

No Jules and Mitchell to start the year it looks. No more WR injuries!

This is not information. This is Reiss' guess about who will play in 10 days based upon who practiced today.

How are people still wondering if a player can be put on the PUP list if they get hurt in training camp. For the124th time, players that have practiced cannot be put on PUP.

Nobody knows what Mitchells injury is, could just be a bruise or a light sprain. If he practices by the start of next week, I am sure he will play. We will have the injury report come out soon too

Hi Anton. Would say no at this point. A player needs to be on the practice field to be ready for game action.

Looks like he didn't rule out putting him on IR for 6 weeks if that's what it will take...but just speculation

Edelman is certainly a season-long loss. Let's hope that Mitchell is only short term - like a game or two.

In any case, besides Hogan, Cooks and Amendola, the Patriots will at least have Gronk, White, Lewis, Burkhead and Allen as familiar targets.

There's no way this team will go with four wrs. I think they will see who gets cut during the 53 man roster or someone on this team but i am not in love with Lucien like many here.

Edelman is certainly a season-long loss. Let's hope that Mitchell is only short term - like a game or two.

In any case, besides Hogan, Cooks and Amendola, the Patriots will at least have Gronk, White, Lewis, Burkhead and Allen as familiar targets.

We will have running backs who can make a catch here or there but you need healthy wrs. I hope if Mitchell comes back he will be 100 percent and it won't be something that will linger the whole season.

I can understand the assumption about a player who is not available for practice will not play in the next game.

I don't understand the assumption that a player who does not practice today will still not be able to practice a week from now.

I just hope Mitchell don't end up being one of those injury prone type WR's we have seen a lot of those over the years. If I was BB I would make a Trade for another WR just to make sure.

I can understand the assumption about a player who is not available for practice will not play in the next game.

I don't understand the assumption that a player who does not practice today will still not be able to practice a week from now.

Reiss is more in tune with the Pats than me...If he says he doesn't think he will be ready by week 1...i believe him...but lets hope he's back soon

I just hope Mitchell don't end up being one of those injury prone type WR's we have seen a lot of those over the years. If I was BB I would make a Trade for another WR just to make sure.

Better than Dobson already after just 1 year and that final drive in the SB where he had 2-3 catches?

I'm hoping he's not injury prone...after last year's pre-season injury where it looked like his arm/elbow was wrecked for life, he certainly bounced back and had a great rookie season.

We will have running backs who can make a catch here or there but you need healthy wrs. I hope if Mitchell comes back he will be 100 percent and it won't be something that will linger the whole season.

I wouldn't underestimate the RBs. White was the second most targeted pass-catcher in 2016. And there was one game (one of the Jets' game, I think) in which Brady targeted RBs as much as he did the WRs and TEs combined.

I also hope that Mitchell's injury doesn't bother him all season. If it's that kind of thing, it probably makes a difference as to how the Pats stock the roster, for the early season at least.

There's no way this team will go with four wrs. I think they will see who gets cut during the 53 man roster or someone on this team but i am not in love with Lucien like many here.
We have gone with 4 many times before.

How about Anquan Bolden who steps back from retirement?
He is a solid slot guy. Maybe no more YPC but more of a red zone threat than JE.
Would Bills get comp? Don't know. Guaranteed catches. He wanted a playoff Team. Guaranteed catches.
Mitchell is glass. Dola might be.
The old guys get together with Brady and Bolden.
I have seen nothing from Lucien.
Another slot guy who is a FA is Bryan Walters
27 Catches as a back up on the Jags, (no QB talent)
DW TOYS

We have gone with 4 many times before.

I just want that consistent 3rd wr to make plays for this team. I am hoping mitchell takes that leap this year. It's amazing what this offense could have been like had edelman not gone down. It will be a good offense but it might be a little rough in the beginning. Gronk really needs to have a full season for us. I hope I don't see anymore bombs to him. lol

Mike Reiss has zero clue. He's basing Mitchell's availability for a game that doesn't happen in 10 days on him not practicing today. So what if Mitchell returned to practice tomorrow or Wednesday?

Also going by this logic every guy that is assured to make the 53 that isn't practicing today won't be ready for Week 1. So that means no Solder Week 1.

I still don't understand why, just because he has a known knee issue, NE should have foreseen Mitchell having his leg taken out by O'Callaghan.

Unless there is genuine frustration with Malcolm in the halls of Gillette, the disconnect between what occurred and Reiss' commentary makes no sense to me.

I just want that consistent 3rd wr to make plays for this team. I am hoping mitchell takes that leap this year. It's amazing what this offense could have been like had edelman not gone down. It will be a good offense but it might be a little rough in the beginning. Gronk really needs to have a full season for us. I hope I don't see anymore bombs to him. lol
Honestly we had to many receivers to keep active and involved. Now it would have been nice to lose a lesser one but all this does is give each good player more reps/targets.
Gronk
Cooks
White
Hogan
Mitchell
Lewis
Allen
Amendola

Every single one of them is playing their best role or a reduced role from what they are capable of even without Edelman.
What are you doing with a 5th wr? They would be inactive.

Since Boldin signed a contract with Buffalo he is on their reserve/retired list.

The Patriots would need approval from the Bills to talk to him (tampering).

The team would then need to work out a trade with Buffalo.

The Pats would then inherit Boldin's contract (one-year, $2,750,000).

It would be no different than another team trying to sign Rob Ninkovich.

That's without considering the learning curve of understanding the Patriots read and react offense, where it is critical the receiver and the quarterback see the same thing on defense and run the route accordingly. While many have been able to do so in their first year, they had six months of off-season to get that system down. A new arrival is going to have just a week to learn the offense. He's not going to be of much help in week one.

I just want that consistent 3rd wr to make plays for this team. I am hoping mitchell takes that leap this year. It's amazing what this offense could have been like had edelman not gone down. It will be a good offense but it might be a little rough in the beginning.

Michell already is a good 3rd WR, no leap required. And you severely underestimate how talented and diverse the remaining weapons on this team are. The odds of a rough beginning are minimal and "good" is only an apt description if you set that bar at 27ppg. I expect NE to be better than that, but I'm willing to be conservative for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey