PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Shanahan: no guarantee Jimmy G will be on roster on Sunday

Correct. But he can reject any trade which could lead to his release (not sure what his cap hit is) and then likely make less money irregardless of where he plays. Just an example of the alternative.
The point of the clause was exactly this scenario: if they don't want to pay him, they either have to find an acceptable partner or release him.

If JG is the guy, we get him and our #1 (say a defender who would walk in and contribute). He may not want to restructure, but he will have no choice. It comes down to whether BB still thinks he can be the guy. He has started a Super Bowl.

wouldn’t it be smart for SF to move JG before tomorrow’s draft?

If JG is the guy, we get him and our #1 (say a defender who would walk in and contribute). He may not want to restructure, but he will have no choice. It comes down to whether BB still thinks he can be the guy. He has started a Super Bowl.

Curran ignores the reality of other teams needing a QB...

All good things to those who wait....

Yes, that's now, not when I'd posted. But there are still teams out there. They are less likely, but they are there.

But it is wild that there are so few possible QB openings left available already this year, particularly because so many of the "We've got our QB" spots are being held by dubious choices.

Wonder if SF plans on keeping jimmy g does that mean Lance is the pick?

Yes, that's now, not when I'd posted. But there are still teams out there. They are less likely, but they are there.

But it is wild that there are so few possible QB openings left available already this year, particularly because so many of the "We've got our QB" spots are being held by dubious choices.
Yes all very uncertain. Is Carolina in play now? If a top 5 QB is sitting there at 15, does BB grab JG and trade the pick for a couple high slots? Gonna need a new single malt for Thirsday.

wouldn’t it be smart for SF to move JG before tomorrow’s draft?
why? so it can be clear to everyone that they don't have a backup?

why? so it can be clear to everyone that they don't have a backup?
I see the timing for both teams as Thursday after SF grabs their guy (assuming BB prefers JG to any draft pick within reach). Otherwise I think we trade up at about the same time.

The needs of other teams are irrelevant. With his no-trade clause, JG can tell the Niners and those other teams to go pound sand.

I believe he ignored them do to their cap situation. He mentions that in the article. Basically saying Denver and NE are the only teams that could potentially take on the contract with no restructure in Denver's case and little restructure in our case. Washington and Chicago would have to do a lot of cap/roster gymnastics to afford him via trade.

I see the timing for both teams as Thursday after SF grabs their guy (assuming BB prefers JG to any draft pick within reach). Otherwise I think we trade up at about the same time.
or Jimmy is Bridgewater, a needed transition until the receiving team develops their quarterback of choice.

If Jimmy will play for $10M plus playoff incentives, then trade the 3rd for him and be done. SF won't get more elsewhere. Then the patriots can still move up for their quarterback.

As an aside, with a trade for Jimmy should receive Cam as their bridge quarterback.

I wonder about Miami, especially if there's truth to the rumors they don't like what they've seen from Tua. That Dolphins staff knows Jimmy G very well, and SF could leverage a bidding war between two division rivals.

It will just baffle me if the Patriots look at another team's fragile reject and go "Yup, that's the future!"

If he's traded for cheap and they draft a QB high that's one thing, but Mr Glass can't be the master genius plan for the future... can he?

I believe he ignored them do to their cap situation. He mentions that in the article. Basically saying Denver and NE are the only teams that could potentially take on the contract with no restructure in Denver's case and little restructure in our case. Washington and Chicago would have to do a lot of cap/roster gymnastics to afford him via trade.
But all one needs to do is to take a look at how the Bucs have handled their signings this year to know that "We don't have the room!" only holds up for a very small number of teams.

I would be willing to give next year's 2nd-rounder - but Not this year's 3rd, and certainly not #46; we don't have enough top-100 picks as it is (thanks Kraft Productions)...But there would also have to be enough of a re-structuring to make him fit under our cap, I'm ass-uming...

Denver got a QB. Asking price and leverage in SF for Jimmy keeps dropping...

I dont know why but I think we do not have that many picks next year either ?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back