PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kony Ealy - bold prediction, won't make roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been worried about our pass rush every since it was clear Sheard and Long weren't returning. Ninko's retiring hasn't helped either. Granted none of these guys would be considered top rushers, but the Team has to replace close to 20 sacks from those 3 players and I'm not sure where they are coming from.

While some thought Ealy would be THE answer, I thought that at best he'd be an equal replacement for Sheard. You know, 6-8 sacks and a decent amount of pressures/hits, as solid run defense playing 55-60% of the snaps. There was also a hope (and their still is) that better coaching and the Patriot Way would elevate his game to something better.

But the fact is that we were already unproven at the edge rushing position, and Ninko's retirement didn't help that at all. I definitely see someone else being brought in. Someone mentioned Kendricks, others Freeny. I do not see Hightower, Van Noy, or McClellan being anything more that situational rushers. So who else is out there that is a reasonable possibility to add some more rush from the edge.

We should remember that Pats drafted a guy named Guy (that many still confuse for JAG) who has experience in rushing from every DL position existing. Also this year's D will have a different look anyway so no need to look back at Long, Sheard etc.
f.e.
Guy - Brown/Valentine/Branch - Flowers​
Hightower/Rivers - Harris - Roberts/JJ - Van Noy/McClellin

then there's Wise with power and skill that can play 4-3 or 3-4 DE
and people incl Ninko are full of praise about him in minicamp and early TC

still plenty of pass rush there

IDK, he might have been used to the Panthers Way. Getting sent home may have been a wake up call to him that the Pats do things different and may never do anything wrong ever again.

People have to realize a lot of teams have very laxed rules. It can be a culture shock to many players. Most can fall in line when they get into the culture. One incidence at the first day of camp is not an indication that Ealy will be an ongoing problem.

I know.........
Ok,man. I wasn't sure if you did. But it showed you got some self deprecating humor...that's a GOOD thing. Even tho I think your op was little bit of a knee jerk reaction to early training camp.

IDK, he might have been used to the Panthers Way. Getting sent home may have been a wake up call to him that the Pats do things different and may never do anything wrong ever again.

People have to realize a lot of teams have very laxed rules. It can be a culture shock to many players. Most can fall in line when they get into the culture. One incidence at the first day of camp is not an indication that Ealy will be an ongoing problem.
If Ealy arrived on Day 1 of Patriots training camp operating in Panther mode, especially after already participating in NE's post draft mini camp.....yikes.

FYI.....My dog figured out not to crash into the glass door after the first collision :)

Ok,man. I wasn't sure if you did. But it showed you got some self deprecating humor...that's a GOOD thing. Even tho I think your op was little bit of a knee jerk reaction to early training camp.

In my experience, knee-jerk reactions regarding BB's doghouse tend to be proved right more often than not over the years here. There aren't many successful redemption stories. Even Patriot greats like Welker etc never fully recovered from a visit to the doghouse.

If Ealy arrived on Day 1 of Patriots training camp operating in Panther mode, especially after already participating in NE's post draft mini camp.....yikes.

FYI.....My dog figured out not to crash into the glass door after the first collision :)

He was late for the first day. It isn't a good thing, but it isn't necessarily the end of the world. Traffic on Route 1 the first day of camp may have been more congested than he thought it would be and that might have been the reason he was late.

I am not going to condemn a guy for one screw up at the start of camp. It isn't a good way to start camp, but it isn't ta reason to give up on the guy. If he has more problems going forward, then let's talk. I am not going to go overboard over one incident.

Last edited:
In my experience, knee-jerk reactions regarding BB's doghouse tend to be proved right more often than not over the years here. There aren't many successful redemption stories. Even Patriot greats like Welker etc never fully recovered from a visit to the doghouse.

First, we don't always hear about every player getting in the dog house. So how do we even know how players recover from getting in it. Most of the players we hear about in the dog house tend to be players very deep in it, not first time offenders. We find out when guys get benched.

Second, there are many examples of players recovering from being in the dog house. Seymour was benched for half a game and recovered. Welker recovered from the Rex Ryan foot incident. I think early in the Belichick tenure, McGinest got in the dog house before he recovered.

Third, we have no idea if Ealy is in the dog house. Plenty of players have been sent home for being late and were never in the dog house. We know about Randy Moss who was not in the dog house after being sent home.

Belichick has a zero tolerance policy about being late. He benched Seymour for missing practice for his grandmother's funeral. Ealy could have had a legitimate excuse for being late, but it wouldn't matter. He was going to get sent home. It doesn't necessarily mean he is in Belichick's dog house. He will have to do more than being late for one practice to be in the dog house.

He was late for the first day. It isn't a good thing, but it isn't necessarily the end of the world. Traffic on Route 1 the first day of camp may have been more congested than he thought it would be and that might have been the reason he was late.

I am not going to condemn a guy for one screw up at the start of camp. It isn't a good way to start camp, but it isn't ta reason to give up on the guy. If he has more problems going forward, then let's talk. I am not going to go overboard over one incident.

He also missed some spring practices.

I've been worried about our pass rush every since it was clear Sheard and Long weren't returning. Ninko's retiring hasn't helped either. Granted none of these guys would be considered top rushers, but the Team has to replace close to 20 sacks from those 3 players and I'm not sure where they are coming from.

While some thought Ealy would be THE answer, I thought that at best he'd be an equal replacement for Sheard. You know, 6-8 sacks and a decent amount of pressures/hits, as solid run defense playing 55-60% of the snaps. There was also a hope (and their still is) that better coaching and the Patriot Way would elevate his game to something better.

But the fact is that we were already unproven at the edge rushing position, and Ninko's retirement didn't help that at all. I definitely see someone else being brought in. Someone mentioned Kendricks, others Freeny. Who else is out there that is a reasonable possibility to add some more rush from the edge.
In the last few years the Patriots have traded minor draft picks for players on the last year of their contract, usually mid-season, and sometimes received compensatory draft picks when those players leave. I didn't do a gigantic amount of research, but I found this list of defensive ends on the last year of their contract. Could any of these be options to trade minor draft picks for?

http://fftoolbox.scout.com/football/2017/contract_year_players.cfm?player_pos=DE
Thanks for the list. One name I found interesting was old Friend Akeem Hicks. I wonder if the rebuilding Bears might be interested in trading Hicks who will likely be over 30 by the time the Bears will be competitive.

Perhaps we should have drafted an edge rusher with our first draft pick.
I never count on rookies to be anything more than situational players in their first couple of years. Rivers' lack of DI competition and experience puts him further behind the developmental curve. And calling him "our first draft pick" doesn't change the fact that he was picked at the END of the 3rd round.

BTW- I really like Rivers as a prospect and loved the pick once I saw some tape of him. But to count on him to be anything more than a back up situational player this season would be a mistake. Nor do I think BB will allow that to happen.

I have no high expectation of Ealy other than to be as good as he has been his last 2 years in Carolina. Anything more would be gravy.

My problem is that our starting DE's are Flowers and Ealy. And I'm concerned that your best pass rusher has been more effective rushing from the inside than off the edge. So it is a very legitimate concern to wonder where are the edge rushers that the Pats have count on this season. If Rivers is one of those being "counted on", then DE IS a weakness on this team.

Thanks for the list. One name I found interesting was old Friend Akeem Hicks. I wonder if the rebuilding Bears might be interested in trading Hicks who will likely be over 30 by the time the Bears will be competitive.
I don't really see any reasonable names on that particular list, aside from the guy from Miami. All of the other names are pretty important to their current franchises.

As far as Hicks goes, I'd have to imagine that Belichick simply would've offered more to keep him here in the first place, versus waiting to pay him that kind of money AND get stuck parting with a draft pick when all is said and done.

I never count on rookies to be anything more than situational players in their first couple of years. Rivers' lack of DI competition and experience puts him further behind the developmental curve. And calling him "our first draft pick" doesn't change the fact that he was picked at the END of the 3rd round.

BTW- I really like Rivers as a prospect and loved the pick once I saw some tape of him. But to count on him to be anything more than a back up situational player this season would be a mistake. Nor do I think BB will allow that to happen.

I have no high expectation of Ealy other than to be as good as he has been his last 2 years in Carolina. Anything more would be gravy.

My problem is that our starting DE's are Flowers and Ealy. And I'm concerned that your best pass rusher has been more effective rushing from the inside than off the edge. So it is a very legitimate concern to wonder where are the edge rushers that the Pats have count on this season. If Rivers is one of those being "counted on", then DE IS a weakness on this team.
Guy will probably be playing some DE, too. Van Noy is another player who can fill the role at times. It will be interesting to keep an eye on the position, but I don't think it's time to panic.

Last edited:
Guy will probably be playing some DE, too. Van Noy is another player who can fill the role at times. It will be interesting to keep an eye on the position, but I don't think it's time to panic.
Yeah, I get that, and you can probably add McClellan and Hightower to tht equation, sup. I'm not panicking, but I am concerned.

Now that concern could be nothing if Ealy proves he can replace Sheard's production, and Flowers proves he's as effective off the edge as he was in the middle, and if Matty P proves he can create pressure through his scheming and manipulating edge opportunities for the Hightower and other LB's. But right now, Ealy is a question mark and so is everyother DE with the exception of Flowers.

We should remember that Pats drafted a guy named Guy (that many still confuse for JAG) who has experience in rushing from every DL position existing. Also this year's D will have a different look anyway so no need to look back at Long, Sheard etc.
f.e.
Guy - Brown/Valentine/Branch - Flowers​
Hightower/Rivers - Harris - Roberts/JJ - Van Noy/McClellin

then there's Wise with power and skill that can play 4-3 or 3-4 DE
and people incl Ninko are full of praise about him in minicamp and early TC

still plenty of pass rush there

I really liked the Guy pick up, but see him more as a DT in a 4-3, and a DE if the Pats want to do some 3-4 looks. I can also see him as a 4-3 DE against a strong running team. But what I don't see him as is an edge rusher. Wise is ANOTHER nice prospect who needs a lot of work. If there comes a time this season when, either he or Rivers are being counted on to provide a significant number of snaps/game; then the DE position will be a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST