PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kony Ealy - bold prediction, won't make roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone please offer up a link to the articles that mention all the shenanigans that Ealy pulled during OTAs and Spring Practices??

Thanks..

No offense but this isn't a bold prediction at all ....as a matter of fact I think it is pretty easy to see that odds initially are stacked against the kid. He is definitely struggling to learn the plays....and to fit in as a Patriot. Also seems to already be in BB dog house.....we shall see

QUOTE="Biffins, post: 5053430, member: 22944"]I have a feeling this guy is not going to make the roster based on his attitude to date. Ninkovich's retirement announcement after Sunday's practice could be a trigger that saves him but I think even then he won't make the roster. This guy went home early after a bunch of OTAs and spring practices which rubbed BB the wrong way and wasn't the hard-working culture the Pats wanted to instill in the team. I think BB constantly praised last years team as a very special group and a very hard working group and he feels that was a major reason we won, both by outlasting the Falcons at the end (so physically better prepared) and also mentally better prepared and better bonded.

So Ealy's omission from first day of camp was notable as BB has often does this stuff in the past as a kind of warning. And Ealy's answer about how he "and BB have a thing going" was ominous, and his continuing answer about how he didn't really care and he's just getting ready, to me had shades of Adalius Thomas saying how being benched didn't motivate him, how this isn't kindergarten, and he's just getting ready, and Bill can make whatever decision he wants etc etc. Thomas unfortunately came with a crippling contract and was carried on the team till the end of that season. Ealy won't make it that far is my prediction unless he fully buys into the programme and fast.

Last season when Chris Long was asked what was the biggest difference between the Pats and other teams he's been on, and he said the biggest thing was complete buy-in from every player. Everyone was fully committed to the programme, and the greater whole, etc. Ealy so far is not cut from the same cloth, and the clock is ticking for him to show that he gets it.

My prediction is that he won't make the team. And yes it's because he and BB "have a thing going".[/QUOTE]

From today's camp report

"Patriots Training Camp Practice #7 A Day for the Backups
  • Both the offense and the defense (Substitution issue) had to take a penalty lap today. Kony Ealy had to take one on his own."

Yeah this isn't looking good for Ealy at all.

Ealy appears to be struggling mightily. They aren't even trying him at Nink's position, just backing up Flowers. I would not be surprised to see him traded for a half-can of pickles. Might see the Patriots trade for somebody.

Ealy appears to be struggling mightily. They aren't even trying him at Nink's position, just backing up Flowers. I would not be surprised to see him traded for a half-can of pickles. Might see the Patriots trade for somebody.
Ninks position probably was going to be backing up flowers.
Ealy is a de. He is right now playing de in the second unit while he is getting up to speed. Not sure what you expected of him at this point and why 3 days of padded practice is so important.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't a case of tardiness, which is what you are referring to with the Moss or Seymour incident of being late / missing practice, or the communication policy issue with Welker. Those were relatively minor compared to an issue of work ethic and buying into the program.

Apparently in OTAs and Spring sessions he didn't stick around after the practice like players usually do and clocked out. His work ethic ticked BB off so he was withheld from a couple of spring practices. This work ethic issue has followed him recently as well and now he was withheld from the first practice of training camp.

I think this guy doesn't get in that you can't be coming to collect a paycheck, that you need to work harder than you did at Carolina etc. And I am predicting it's too short a time-frame for a change of character.

I may have missed his OTA stuff, but to write the guy off is a little premature especially since Belichick talked him up the other day. Belichick rarely says nice things about guys in the dog house:

"Good," Belichick said of Ealy's transition from Carolina to New England. "We've worked him in a number of different positions, both inside and outside. I think we've asked him to do more in coverage than he did in Carolina. Carolina doesn't do a lot with their defensive ends in pass coverage. We probably do significantly more than they do. Not with their linebackers, but with their ends and their coverage responsibilities . . .

"Those are things he's had to adjust to. But he's a smart kid. He works hard, and he's building his versatility. We'll see how far that goes but he's got the ability to play inside, to play outside on the end of the line, to play in some coverage situations, have a role in the kicking game, which was another thing that wasn't a big role in Carolina. I don't know how big it will be here, but it's already, I would say, more than what he had there. We've asked him to do some new things, and we'll evaluate those as we go through camp and see how it goes."

Belichick on Ealy: 'He's building his versatility'

According to Belichick, they are doing the opposite of what you are saying. Belichick is trying to build up his versatility and want him to learn to play inside and outside and rush the passer and drop into coverage.

From today's camp report

• Both the offense and the defense (Substitution issue) had to take a penalty lap today. Kony Ealy had to take one on his own."

He's the front runner for this camp's Private Pyle Award.

From today's camp report

Execution is in order...

Yeah I'm still trying to learn the alignments. What you said about the 2 DL 2 OLB alignment was true up until after the Seattle game. Then we see a ton of the above? Isn't that a 3-3-5?

Had a lot of free time between graduation and starting a job last couple months so I looked at every playoff play. Curious to know what that D is
I'm going to try to do frame this out, but it is difficult because the role often becomes defined by the player rather than the player taking on a role.

First the easy part, the DTs. They will all play anywhere from inside head up on T to head up on a C, but normally aren't very far outside the G. Branch, Brown, Valentine, Hamilton

One guy we have now, I believe fills a role we haven't filled in a long time, Lawrence Guy.
He is a smallish DT/Very Large DE. I think that he will be playing LDE on running downs. That could be anywhere from a couple to 30 snaps in any given game. I think he will also be used inside to rush the passer on passing downs. I'm guessing over the course of the season between those 2 roles you will see about 500 snaps from him.

DE/inside pass rusher.
This is a newer role in the BB scheme. Starting with Chandler Jones, BB has begun taking his DE and moving them inside on the G to rush the passer. Grissom did this a lot his rookie year after Easley went out. Sheard did at times. Flowers does it a lot now. Candidates for this role are Flowers, Ealy, Wise, Grissom.

Straight DE. This was Nink until last year, when he played a lot more in coverage.
Candidates are Ealy, Wise, Rivers, Grissom.

NOTE Players can fit more than 1 role.

DE/LB- This is what Nink was last year. He dropped into coverage more last year than he has since we went to a 43 even with a lot less PT. This role could go away. Most likley its a schematice role that any LB or DE fits into on a given play. If they reprise this role, Van Noy and McClellin would be candidates.

43 LBs. If we ever really play base much, Harris would be in the middle. Hightower is hard to peg because a big part of the scheme is to use his versatility, but I'd say his defualt is weak side. Van Noy or McLellin would be on the strong side. Roberts in would likely kick Harris to weak side and HT to strong side or vice versa.

Then we get into nickel/dime LBs. I think the best way to address this is to say no one ever knows what they will do. You can find HT covering a TE up the seam or rushing from the edge. Same with VN, McClellin, etc, only HT is ore impactful and stands out.

Essentially you can pick 6 players from these roles and throw them out there and have an effective, and varied scheme, and it is very hard to lable the positons, scheme or what to call it.

take this for what is worth of course . but resembles pattern already reported here

from Breer:
The people in Carolina are less than surprised that Kony Ealy, traded in March to New England, is struggling in his early days as a Patriot. His rep with the Panthers was that he was late for meetings off the field, busted assignments on it, and had excuses for all of that. He never fully bought into the program, and it’ll be interesting to see if Bill Belichick can get him to in Foxboro.

take this for what is worth of course . but resembles pattern already reported here

from Breer:
The people in Carolina are less than surprised that Kony Ealy, traded in March to New England, is struggling in his early days as a Patriot. His rep with the Panthers was that he was late for meetings off the field, busted assignments on it, and had excuses for all of that. He never fully bought into the program, and it’ll be interesting to see if Bill Belichick can get him to in Foxboro.

I didn't know of his reputation in Carolina, but certainly that's the behaviour we have seen in New England.

I didn't know of his reputation in Carolina, but certainly that's the behaviour we have seen in New England.
Evidence of said behavior?

According to Belichick, they are doing the opposite of what you are saying. Belichick is trying to build up his versatility and want him to learn to play inside and outside and rush the passer and drop into coverage.
Right, belichick is known to be critical of his players.

Right, belichick is known to be critical of his players.

Belichick isn't critical of his players, but when a player is in the dog house he usually never talks about them. He brushes off questions about them.

Who knows if Ealy will work out here, but if he truly was in the dog house, it would be likely that his name would never come out of Belichick's mouth at press conferences.

I'm going to try to do frame this out, but it is difficult because the role often becomes defined by the player rather than the player taking on a role.

First the easy part, the DTs. They will all play anywhere from inside head up on T to head up on a C, but normally aren't very far outside the G. Branch, Brown, Valentine, Hamilton

One guy we have now, I believe fills a role we haven't filled in a long time, Lawrence Guy.
He is a smallish DT/Very Large DE. I think that he will be playing LDE on running downs. That could be anywhere from a couple to 30 snaps in any given game. I think he will also be used inside to rush the passer on passing downs. I'm guessing over the course of the season between those 2 roles you will see about 500 snaps from him.

DE/inside pass rusher.
This is a newer role in the BB scheme. Starting with Chandler Jones, BB has begun taking his DE and moving them inside on the G to rush the passer. Grissom did this a lot his rookie year after Easley went out. Sheard did at times. Flowers does it a lot now. Candidates for this role are Flowers, Ealy, Wise, Grissom.

Straight DE. This was Nink until last year, when he played a lot more in coverage.
Candidates are Ealy, Wise, Rivers, Grissom.

NOTE Players can fit more than 1 role.

DE/LB- This is what Nink was last year. He dropped into coverage more last year than he has since we went to a 43 even with a lot less PT. This role could go away. Most likley its a schematice role that any LB or DE fits into on a given play. If they reprise this role, Van Noy and McClellin would be candidates.

43 LBs. If we ever really play base much, Harris would be in the middle. Hightower is hard to peg because a big part of the scheme is to use his versatility, but I'd say his defualt is weak side. Van Noy or McLellin would be on the strong side. Roberts in would likely kick Harris to weak side and HT to strong side or vice versa.

Then we get into nickel/dime LBs. I think the best way to address this is to say no one ever knows what they will do. You can find HT covering a TE up the seam or rushing from the edge. Same with VN, McClellin, etc, only HT is ore impactful and stands out.

Essentially you can pick 6 players from these roles and throw them out there and have an effective, and varied scheme, and it is very hard to lable the positons, scheme or what to call it.

Very nicely done! Thanks, Andy!

I'm curious to see in pre and the reg season how much they move him inside on passing downs. Looks like they did that fairly often in CAR and at OK St.

And yes.....I think he makes the team.

Belichick isn't critical of his players, but when a player is in the dog house he usually never talks about them. He brushes off questions about them.

Who knows if Ealy will work out here, but if he truly was in the dog house, it would be likely that his name would never come out of Belichick's mouth at press conferences.

A rookie is taking Nink's position. That pretty much says it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST