PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kony Ealy - bold prediction, won't make roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffins

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I have a feeling this guy is not going to make the roster based on his attitude to date. Ninkovich's retirement announcement after Sunday's practice could be a trigger that saves him but I think even then he won't make the roster. This guy went home early after a bunch of OTAs and spring practices which rubbed BB the wrong way and wasn't the hard-working culture the Pats wanted to instill in the team. I think BB constantly praised last years team as a very special group and a very hard working group and he feels that was a major reason we won, both by outlasting the Falcons at the end (so physically better prepared) and also mentally better prepared and better bonded.

So Ealy's omission from first day of camp was notable as BB has often does this stuff in the past as a kind of warning. And Ealy's answer about how he "and BB have a thing going" was ominous, and his continuing answer about how he didn't really care and he's just getting ready, to me had shades of Adalius Thomas saying how being benched didn't motivate him, how this isn't kindergarten, and he's just getting ready, and Bill can make whatever decision he wants etc etc. Thomas unfortunately came with a crippling contract and was carried on the team till the end of that season. Ealy won't make it that far is my prediction unless he fully buys into the programme and fast.

Last season when Chris Long was asked what was the biggest difference between the Pats and other teams he's been on, and he said the biggest thing was complete buy-in from every player. Everyone was fully committed to the programme, and the greater whole, etc. Ealy so far is not cut from the same cloth, and the clock is ticking for him to show that he gets it.

My prediction is that he won't make the team. And yes it's because he and BB "have a thing going".

Last edited:
Ehh, I think he was absent from the first practice because he was late in the very first day and BB sent him home.

Great post but I'm not there yet.

Although doubtful he still may turn the corner. He must be thinking that a Super Bowl ring is on the line. If that doesn't convince him nothing will.

Hard to believe he has a hard time buying in fresh off of a team winning a Super Bowl.

We'll see.

He wasn't going to make Carolina's roster, so I've always assumed he's 50/50 at best to make the deepest roster in the league.

He wasn't going to make Carolina's roster, so I've always assumed he's 50/50 at best to make the deepest roster in the league.

I had seen Ealy included in every roster prediction to date so figured everyone thought he was a shoo-in.

If I'm his agent/brother/father/mother/sister/wife/child/girlfriend/buddy/teammate/neighbor/mailman/doctor/ or bartender I'm telling him to get his act together, suck it up, and get in line.

If you are a professional football player in 2017 what better situation could you be in then suiting up for the New England Patriots? Belichick will send him to the ice world known as Hoth/Cleveland if he doesn't smarten up.

We're not what I would call "deepest" at his position, however. This becomes even more a problem if the rumors of Ninko are true (which I'm not sure I buy just yet though).

510360506.jpg

Guy hasn't done anything his whole career outside of a good game in the Super Bowl, not sure it would be a terrible surprise that he's cut in favor of someone like Geneo Grissom who's been around. They spent the equivalent of a 5th round pick to get him and have cut guys like that before out of camp (Greg Lewis, Alex Smith, etc).

On the other hand, it's a thin position.

So if Ealy got cut, plus assuming Nink's retirement, is our DE depth chart essentially Flowers and two rookies?

Yikes.

regardless of Nink's situation, we cannot afford to lose an average to above average DE (unfortunately) our roster isn't as stacked there as in other positions

80+% change that Ealy is on the roster game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye