PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kony Ealy - bold prediction, won't make roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I recall correctly, Alan Branch was suspended last August for a few days by Bill B. for violating team rules and he seems to have worked out OK.

Guy hasn't done anything his whole career outside of a good game in the Super Bowl, not sure it would be a terrible surprise that he's cut in favor of someone like Geneo Grissom who's been around. They spent the equivalent of a 5th round pick to get him and have cut guys like that before out of camp (Greg Lewis, Alex Smith, etc).

On the other hand, it's a thin position.

Ealy (6040/273), regular season stats:

2014: 1 FF ... 4 sacks ... 16 total tackles (35% of defensive snaps as a rookie)
2015: 2 PD ... 3 FF ... 5 sacks ... 32 total tackles (59% of defensive snaps)
2016: 3 PD ... 2 FF ... 5 sacks ... 32 total tackles (58% of defensive snaps)

Sheard (6027/264), for comparison:

2015: 2 PD ... 4 FF ... 8 sacks ... 37 total tackles (51% of defensive snaps)
2016: 4 PD ... 0 FF ... 5 sacks ... 33 totals tackles (56% of defensive snaps)

Grissom played less than 12% of the defensive snaps as a rookie (130 total) and only 11 defensive snaps last season.

If I recall correctly, Alan Branch was suspended last August for a few days by Bill B. for violating team rules and he seems to have worked out OK.
Word is Branch cut a nuclear fart in a team meeting. He was suspended for not taking the meeting seriously. Work eithic, commitment and doing his job are not issues with him. Branch is a big teddy bear and a good teammate.

I'm just getting up to speed on Ealy being held out of practices by the coaches. It's concerning but it's up to him to raise his commitment level and do his job.

If not.....he's doomed

Last edited:
OK, now we know it was not injury holding Ealy out of minicamp but coaches decision as well. Not good, young boy, not good.

From Reiss:
Ealy was held out of the first day of training camp (coach's decision) before returning for the past two days of work. Ealy had also been held out of some spring practices (coach's decision). The fourth-year player could ultimately become a productive addition for the Patriots, but he currently has some ground to make up.

BTW - Patricia was going at him like a mad dog at one point in practice yesterday..

And not that it means much . but it was the first time in recent years I had a bad feeling about a player just watching him at his inaugural press conference.. (hopefully i was wrong)

Last edited:
It seems to me that Ealy has shown the talent/skills/athleticism to be at least a solid rotational-situational on-the-line edge guy.

Apparently, he DOES have some sort of work ethic/attitude problem. Whether or not he makes the 53 depends on how bad/intractable that may be, and whether or not he shows any progress.

At 900k, he's a fairly cheap backup (significantly cheaper than Mingo was), as long as he's not bad for the locker room. OTOH, at $0 dead money, he's also an easy cut. Even with Nink retired, it's not as if the cupboard is bare in the front seven without Ealy.

Ealy (6040/273), regular season stats:

2014: 1 FF ... 4 sacks ... 16 total tackles (35% of defensive snaps as a rookie)
2015: 2 PD ... 3 FF ... 5 sacks ... 32 total tackles (59% of defensive snaps)
2016: 3 PD ... 2 FF ... 5 sacks ... 32 total tackles (58% of defensive snaps)

Sheard (6027/264), for comparison:

2015: 2 PD ... 4 FF ... 8 sacks ... 37 total tackles (51% of defensive snaps)
2016: 4 PD ... 0 FF ... 5 sacks ... 33 totals tackles (56% of defensive snaps)

Grissom played less than 12% of the defensive snaps as a rookie (130 total) and only 11 defensive snaps last season.
ealy played the most snaps of any de on the panthers each of the last 2 years.

This reminds me of the "Randy Moss will not make this team" thread before the 2007 season.

This reminds me of the "Randy Moss will not make this team" thread before the 2007 season.
Different situation but similar .

I wish Ealy hadn't said he and BB have something going on. That was a CLM.

Dumbass

Different situation but similar .

I wish Ealy hadn't said he and BB have something going on. That was a CLM.

Dumbass

Yup. There was article last year saying that BB has reached the I don't give a f*** stage of coaching, and he'll get rid of a talented guy at the first sign of not buying in. Given the info in Reiss' article, I wouldn't be surprised if Ealy doesn't have much rope left.

Maybe BB found out he thought the earth was flat and/or dinosaurs weren't real. So he gave him homework and the day off to research it. BB wanted to make sure he wasn't too dumb to at least learn the playbook.

Not that bold. We traded 8 spots in the late 2nd/early 3rd for him. People really want to act like a 2nd rounder was traded for him but ignore we also got a pick back nearly equal in value. There's pretty much no sunk cost in this case (and to worry about the sunk cost is, of course, a fallacy).

He's got potential but so do a lot of players.

Not that bold. We traded 8 spots in the late 2nd/early 3rd for him. People really want to act like a 2nd rounder was traded for him but ignore we also got a pick back nearly equal in value. There's pretty much no sunk cost in this case (and to worry about the sunk cost is, of course, a fallacy).

He's got potential but so do a lot of players.
He has played good football on a good NFL defense. Not a lot of players have done that.

he'll make the roster now that nink is retiring.

He can't be that smart if he's willing to pass up a very good chance at a SB ring due to his attitude.......it's AA time for him obviously.......BB 's mantra...My Way or the Highway...... Hope he wakes up and adjusts his attitude..he obviously hasn't been taught by a coach of BB's caliber....

Gotta love the speculation out of thin air.
Is it out of thin air?

Based on past and present, this guy may not be the right fit for this organization

He can't be that smart if he's willing to pass up a very good chance at a SB ring due to his attitude.......it's AA time for him obviously.......BB 's mantra...My Way or the Highway...... Hope he wakes up and adjusts his attitude..he obviously hasn't been taught by a coach of BB's caliber....
There is no legitimate report that the is any issue with his attitude.
So not sure how you think he wants to give up a chance at a SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe