PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirk Cousins -> Broncos?

I'm not disagreeing that cousins will improve them. However, they are a mess everywhere else, especially their HC who has no clue how to run a team. And Cousins is NOT going to take them to the super bowl. He's not that caliber. Under the right conditions he'll get you into the playoffs, but those conditions have to be right and Denver (as of today) does not have them. Denver was 5-11 in 2017. Adding cousins will make them 8-8 or 9-7.

Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl.
Eli Manning won 2 Super Bowls.
The ghost of Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl.

If that can happen, Kirk Cousins can take a team to the Super Bowl.

I agree with the latter part of your statement that he’ll be one of the top paid QBs, however there is zero likelihood that WSH pays him 35m on the franchise tag for a 3rd year in a row. Either they reach a long term deal or he leaves for another team.

He’s gone. Grudens luke warm statement on cousins season says they won’t pay the franchise tag; I don’t even see them matching any offers that cousins gets in the FA market.

Kirk Cousins is the Philip Rivers of this generation.

A "good brand" without the results to back up that name or status of being a great QB, and with a knack for killing the fan base with a collective heart attack for turning the ball over at the worst moment.

I think the main difference is that Rivers was set up to succeed and generally failed to: he had a lot of good players--and even some generational, great players--around him. Cousins, OTOH, has been put in one of the worse situations I've seen a QB put up consistent statistical success in. Seems like every time he develops any kind of a rapport with a player, the guy's gone or injured shortly thereafter. Look at who he's throwing and handing off to, it's pretty miserable.

Put Cousins on a team with talent like in the Chargers' Tomlinson/Gates/Jackson era, or even what they've got right now, and he outperforms Rivers IMO.

The Broncos would have won the SB in 2015 with like half the QBs in the league, so if they can keep that defense going and add a top 12ish QB like Cousins they can remain competitive for awhile

I know a bunch of reasons why they shouldn't have gone to the Super Bowl but lets not talk about that

Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl.
Eli Manning won 2 Super Bowls.
The ghost of Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl.

If that can happen, Kirk Cousins can take a team to the Super Bowl.
Hell, TRENT DILFER won a SB. REX GROSSMAN went to a Super Bowl!!!

We can agree to disagree then. I don’t see how improving the most important position on the field by several orders of magnitude won’t help.
I think we disagree by how many orders (with regard to winnng) and where they start from otherwise.
Difference of opinion

The Broncos would have won the SB in 2015 with like half the QBs in the league, so if they can keep that defense going and add a top 12ish QB like Cousins they can remain competitive for awhile
They already haven’t “kept that defense going”

My question on Kirk Cousins is why? He has never shown himself to be anything other than mediocre. The Patriots can't be the only team that knows how to develop QBs. If I was one of these teams, I would much rather scout the college ranks and bring in the best guy rather than pay mega-millions to one of these retreads.
He is a good fantasy qb

He’s gone. Grudens luke warm statement on cousins season says they won’t pay the franchise tag; I don’t even see them matching any offers that cousins gets in the FA market.
Possibly, although they can still work out a long term deal if that’s in the cards. Either way, they sure as hell aren’t likely to pay him 35m dollars just to be in the same position again next year. That’s nothing more than Florio-talk. Not too many players are going to get tagged twice in a row, let alone three years in a row.

They'd have to eventually part with a lot of the defensive pieces they have to afford his contract long-term, but for the first year or two, they should be back in the playoffs.
Cousins will flame out there and Donks will remain a Dumpster Fire.

Even though Alex Smith is a lot older than Cousins, he might be a better fit for the donkeys that won’t break the bank. The Broncos have a tight window that suits Smith, who can hit the ground running. Signing Cousins would come at a mammoth cost that would probably require letting some key defensive players walk.

When his career is over, Kirk cousins will be the worst player to make the most money if that makes sense.

Any chance they cut talib? Would they save any money? I know it sounds crazy but he's 32 next year. He still plays very well.

My question on Kirk Cousins is why? He has never shown himself to be anything other than mediocre. The Patriots can't be the only team that knows how to develop QBs. If I was one of these teams, I would much rather scout the college ranks and bring in the best guy rather than pay mega-millions to one of these retreads.

Cousins averages in the last 3 seasons:

4392 yards passing
27:12 TD/INT ratio
QB rating 97.5

Kirk Cousins Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

That's better than mediocre.

Oh, I see. How many playoff appearances has he had?

Roethlisberger is one of the top 5 QBs of the era. That didn't stop him from putting up 2 consecutive 8-8 seasons.
Brees is one of the top 5 QBs of the era. That didn't stop him from going 7-9 four years out of five.

I'm not on the Cousins bandwagon, but some of you are going over the top on this.

I live in the Washington area and have seen Cousins play a fair amount. The last several years, he has put up very good numbers while being surrounded by JAGs. This year was especially noteworthy, as the Skins decided to let Cousins' two top receivers (Garcon and Jackson - each with over 1000 yards receiving) go and replace with no one of note. His offensive line was decimated by injuries, resulting in him being sacked 41 times, fifth most in the NFL. Yet he still posted top ten numbers in most QB categories. Cousins is a likeable player, who sat behind RGIII for years without complaining.

He is also a hard worker who puts in the extra time studying film, working on mechanics, etc. From the Nov. 4, 2015 Roanoke Times:

Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins said during last year’s training camp, when the teams held joint practices, he made sure to pick Brady’s brain.

“I told him, ‘I study you, you do it at the highest level,’ ” Cousins said. “He’s kind of set the standard for all of us to follow. It’s a high standard to meet. That’s the goal, certainly, every year, every offseason, to work and to prepare to try and play at the level he does week in and week out.”

I would be worried if Cousins went to Denver, except that I'm not convinced that their present coaching staff can produce a winner.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back