PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirk Cousins -> Broncos?

not likely, not unless its all fully guarenteed. Cousins is looking at a base of 35 million next year if washington using the franchise tag, unless something drastic happens hes going to be one of the top 3 paid qb's
I agree with the latter part of your statement that he’ll be one of the top paid QBs, however there is zero likelihood that WSH pays him 35m on the franchise tag for a 3rd year in a row. Either they reach a long term deal or he leaves for another team.

Cousins and Carr's contracts are two of the main reasons that the Patriots could not afford to "just franchise" Jimmy.

The JG trade should be the final nail in the coffin of the cap is crap crowd. But of course it wont..

I agree with the latter part of your statement that he’ll be one of the top paid QBs

He will end up being the highest paid QB even though Rodgers is rumored to be getting an extension this year. That is what happens in free agency..

The Broncos would have won the SB in 2015 with like half the QBs in the league, so if they can keep that defense going and add a top 12ish QB like Cousins they can remain competitive for awhile

He will end up being the highest paid QB even though Rodgers is rumored to be getting an extension this year. That is what happens in free agency..
Until Ryan and Wilson get extensions which is soon

Sure, but I find the idea of Washington paying him 35m for another year on the tag to be something of a stretch.

I don’t know who else is up for an extension besides the rumors of Rodgers and obviously Garoppolo, but no doubt that Cousins will get paid on a longer term deal, either in Washington or elsewhere.

Until Ryan and Wilson get extensions which is soon

Doubtful that they will get a much higher contract than a serviceable-to-good QB that hits FA. If anything any team should try to extend their QBs before this FA period otherwise they might just pay the Cousins premium.

Cousins is overrated cannot win Big Games. Huge mistake by Elway if they are going after him.

Yes. Brock Osweiler scored big in FA, and no one had seen him do squat. There's a lot more film on Cousins.

Also, isn't Drew Brees on a year by year contract? Horse Face would have to break the bank to get him, thought.

My question on Kirk Cousins is why? He has never shown himself to be anything other than mediocre. The Patriots can't be the only team that knows how to develop QBs. If I was one of these teams, I would much rather scout the college ranks and bring in the best guy rather than pay mega-millions to one of these retreads.

I hope Washington franchises Cousins and Cousins plays hardball and doesn't sign a new deal with Washington.

My question on Kirk Cousins is why? He has never shown himself to be anything other than mediocre. The Patriots can't be the only team that knows how to develop QBs. If I was one of these teams, I would much rather scout the college ranks and bring in the best guy rather than pay mega-millions to one of these retreads.

Cousins has been a top 10 QB for 3 years now.

The Broncos would have won the SB in 2015 with like half the QBs in the league, so if they can keep that defense going and add a top 12ish QB like Cousins they can remain competitive for awhile
They already lost that defense.

Statistically speaking he may be a top 10 QB

2017- 9th in Completion %, 7th Yards, 12th QB Rating (Had terrible receivers)
2016-8th in Completion %, 3rd Yards, 7th QB Rating
2015-1st in Completion %, 10th Yards, 5th QB Rating

He hasn't won a lot of games but you can blame that on the Skins terrible defense-
2017- 27th in Pts/game
2016- 19th in Pts/game
2015- 17th in Pts/game

The problem for the Broncos is that their defense is no longer that defense, or even a rough approximation of it. Ware is gone, Ward is gone, Jackson is gone, Trevathan is gone, Talib is trending downward and likely to get released. They've still got Miller and Marshall and Harris and Stewart and Wolfe, and you can build a very good defense around those guys, but the drop from "good enough to drag 2015 Manning/Osweiler to a SB win" and "very good" is awfully steep.

while cousins helps them at the QB position, their biggest problem is coaching. with mediocre coaching in washington, cousins couldn’t get it done. and now if he goes to denver his coaching situation is worse.

If Cousins had been the Broncos QB this year, Denver would have won the AFCW, and would be the #1 or #2 playoff threat to the Patriots.

The team was 8-8. That same team had woes up front along the OL and not a whole hell of a lot to work with at WR. Both of the issues that plagued the Foreskins offensively are in better condition on the Donks. Considering what they've been trotting out at QB the last two seasons, this move is a no-brainer improvement. It'll come at a cost, but for a season or two it should put them back in playoff contention.

I'm not disagreeing that cousins will improve them. However, they are a mess everywhere else, especially their HC who has no clue how to run a team. And Cousins is NOT going to take them to the super bowl. He's not that caliber. Under the right conditions he'll get you into the playoffs, but those conditions have to be right and Denver (as of today) does not have them. Denver was 5-11 in 2017. Adding cousins will make them 8-8 or 9-7.

Kirk Cousins is the Philip Rivers of this generation.

A "good brand" without the results to back up that name or status of being a great QB, and with a knack for killing the fan base with a collective heart attack for turning the ball over at the worst moment.

I'm not disagreeing that cousins will improve them. However, they are a mess everywhere else, especially their HC who has no clue how to run a team. And Cousins is NOT going to take them to the super bowl. He's not that caliber. Under the right conditions he'll get you into the playoffs, but those conditions have to be right and Denver (as of today) does not have them. Denver was 5-11 in 2017. Adding cousins will make them 8-8 or 9-7.

Thats pretty accurate. I think Cousins is pretty good but hes not an elite QB. With a strong D and good supporting cast of offensive players he makes his team a consistent playoff team and potential to reach the conf championship game.

Unless he has a 2016 Matty Ice year then he is what he is.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back