PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirk Cousins -> Broncos?

Do the Broncos have the cap space to compete with a team like the Jets?

They'd have to eventually part with a lot of the defensive pieces they have to afford his contract long-term, but for the first year or two, they should be back in the playoffs.

Doing a quick search they have about $26M projected next year.
Denver Broncos Salary Cap Calculator | Over The Cap
Denver Broncos 2018 Salary Cap
Might take less money to play for a better team since hes made plenty with the Skins over the past few years.

not likely, not unless its all fully guarenteed. Cousins is looking at a base of 35 million next year if washington using the franchise tag, unless something drastic happens hes going to be one of the top 3 paid qb's

They'd have to eventually part with a lot of the defensive pieces they have to afford his contract long-term, but for the first year or two, they should be back in the playoffs.
Their defense already isn’t what it used to be. Cousins is no panacea. I hope they get him because that will mean they won’t be a playoff threat for awhile.

Their defense already isn’t what it used to be. Cousins is no panacea. I hope they get him because that will mean they won’t be a playoff threat for awhile.

Their defense is still talented. They were freelancing quite a bit. They'd contend for a playoff spot if not outright getting in. He's by far and away better than whatever they lined up at that position the last two years. But that's about as far as they'd go.

They need a QB badly.

Thomas and Sanders will be 31 next year. They need WRs for Cousins to throw to.

OT: I'm not sure how good of a draft guy Elway is. Hes owned the draft board since 2012 and in 43 picks has yet to have a ProBowler play for the team and the only guy drafted (Malik Jackson, 2012) made the PB for another team (JAX)and he was basically picked by Brian Xanders who is now running the FO for the Rams.

Last edited:
The broncos no longer qualify as a “better team”
Their defense is still pretty good. If they add Cousins and maybe Saquon Barkley with the 5th pick they would have a pretty good offense to match.

while cousins helps them at the QB position, their biggest problem is coaching. with mediocre coaching in washington, cousins couldn’t get it done. and now if he goes to denver his coaching situation is worse.

Who else could they go for? Whatever QB MIN casts off (Bridgewater/Bradford/Keenum)? Tyrod Taylor? Alex Smith? Eli Manning?

All of these would be upgrades over what they already have, though I wouldn't touch Bradford myself.

Most of these seem better than Cousins, too.

The main advantage of Cousins is that he can be had for mere cash.

The downside is that he gets worse under pressure rather than better.

Cousins isn't a true franchise QB, IMHO.

So, Eli is out of the mix for Denver's QB already? Seemed like he'd be a better stopgap measure for a year or two, like his brother was, while they groom someone else to be the franchise QB.

They need a QB badly.

Thomas and Sanders will be 31 next year. They need WRs for Cousins to throw to.

OT: I'm not sure how good of a draft guy Elway is. Hes owned the draft board since 2012 and in 43 picks has yet to have a ProBowler play for the team and the only guy drafted (Malik Jackson, 2012) made the PB for another team (JAX)and was basically picked by Brian Xanders who is now running the FO for the Rams.

elway is not the draft guru that everyone tbinks. he’s going after cousins because he hasn’t been able to draft a replacement for manning. he’s good at signing free agents.

i have to disagree. while cousins helps them at the QB position, their biggest problem is coaching. with mediocre coaching in washington, cousins couldn’t get it done. and now if he goes to denver his coaching situation is worse.
Agree. Horse Face wants a puppet for a coach, so no one good enough is going to be in DEN.

That would certainly make them a contender again.

elway is not the draft guru that everyone tbinks. he’s going after cousins because he hasn’t been able to draft a replacement for manning. he’s good at signing free agents.
What is Horse Face good at?

Drafting? Nope.

Picking coaches? Nope. He got lucky with Kubiak and Philips, but now they're gone and their replacements suck.

Talking aging free agents into coming to DEN? Not sure if you can do that if the team sucks, and this year the team did suck.

Do the Broncos have the cap space to compete with a team like the Jets?

Cap space? Cape space?! Broncos don't need no stinking cap space! This team has a proud, storied history of cheating. Actual cheating, not the "cheating" the Pats are accused of. The salary cap is meaningless to them.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back