Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which direction do you want the Pats to go at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayfield is mot leaving a playoff team in Tampa where he was succezful to come to the patriots
Its a pipe dream and ain’t happening

Mayfield is mot leaving a playoff team in Tampa where he was succezful to come to the patriots
Baker said signing Mike Evans back or not would influence his decision

Money talks - you don’t know his relationship with AVP and EW. If Tampa won’t pony up before the deadline, that’s a slight.

Tampa is also in a worse CAP situation than New England, by far. They aren’t likely to be improving, and despite a playoff appearance in a crappy division, have little chance at going deep into the playoffs.

It’s more than last year’s record. Brady left a playoff team to go to Tampa, yes?

I think that's a possible plan. Of course, it's very possible that one is gone by #3. Is the other worth the #3 pick at this point in his development?
I've heard conflicting reports on both, so to me, unless you think one of them will become a better QB than Mayfield, that probably should be the plan. Before you say "yes!" to that, go and look at Mayfield's draft profile. He's matured and seasoned now and showing some of that college swagger at the next level.

My personal opinion is that the Pats are a lot closer to getting back in the hunt than most here. They need a QB, a left tackle, a top TE, and a couple of WRs, but beyond that, they're pretty damned solid. And they can solve two of those with the draft, hopefully, which is deep in WR and LT. And Fa should get them the TE they need and the other pieces, perhaps including QB.

Again, if the Pats think THE NEXT GUY will be there for them, take him, sure. If not, the opportunity to get a QB of Mayfield's quality (top 15) doesn't come around much. I really don't want to be having these conversations after another 3 years of the last 3 years.
Couldn't agree more Mayfield will be 29 still in his QB prime and more than a serviceable QB. Quite a few Teams are looking for a QB now I think Mayfield's market might be Bigger than we originally thought.

Baker Mayfield has played for 4 teams by age 28 because he's not good, no thanks.

If you have the 3rd pick and 100m cap space and you end up with Baker Mayfield as your answer at quarterback then you don't know what you're doing and this thing is doomed to fail.

Prepare to be stuck in the middle, no way to win in the playoffs but just good enough to not have high draft picks.

Don't be the Bears, draft well... pretty simple.

Yep. Looks like mediocrity is the big goal of some here. Woo hooo, we beat Carolina, yeee hawwww. Let’s put up a Playoff Participant banner.

Nah, they had a top five defense.
Me: We went 4-13 last year
Response: Nah, they had a top five defense.

544eab16c0fba36e414a2cc978f9951d.jpg

The Pats could come back to relevance pretty quickly by signing Mayfield, trading down and taking one of the top WRs and getting a tackle at 34. But to what end? Does he have what it takes to dethrone Mahomes, Allen, Burrow et al?

Me: We went 4-13 last year
Response: Nah, they had a top five defense.
Last year the Patriots were a top five defense and the 32nd ranked offense.

The offense had mostly to do with one player, not having a QB, and an otherwise talented offensive line that couldn’t stay healthy.

There's a difference between having no “talent” and not being able to execute.

Put CJ Stroud on the Patriots and keep the starting five linemen healthy and they’re a playoff team. One missing player isn’t an overall lack of talent… it’s a team without a QB.

The Pats could come back to relevance pretty quickly by signing Mayfield, trading down and taking one of the top WRs and getting a tackle at 34. But to what end? Does he have what it takes to dethrone Mahomes, Allen, Burrow et al?
It all depends on if and who they like for drafting a QB. If this is 2021 all over again and you can’t get to Lawrence, maybe the better move is a vet?

If it’s about trying to piece everything together in 1-2 years to try to sniff the playoffs then go for a Mayfield.
If it’s about trying to shoot for the stars and be competitive enough to win in 3+ years then draft the QB.

If it’s about trying to piece everything together in 1-2 years to try to sniff the playoffs then go for a Mayfield.
If it’s about trying to shoot for the stars and be competitive enough to win in 3+ years then draft the QB.

I think it’s a little different than that. I basically agree with your first take. If all they want to do is be able to get into the playoff the next year or two they can overpay Mayfield and some WR’s, like say Ridley.

If what they want to do is build a team that can actually contend for the Lombardi year after year long term, then draft the QB at 3, and build intelligently around them. They can still be more competitive this season, but should be able to be a playoff team in 25, and a contender for years after that.

No, he doesn’t. You are never going to win a Lombardi with Baker Mayfield. He’s a mediocre QB, not a game changer.

I could see the team becoming solid quickly if they signed Baker and traded down with a team still in the top 10 to take a WR1, then used their extra capital to bolster the OL.

That’s Jeremiah’s worst take ever.

The offense had mostly to do with one player, not having a QB,
LOL!! That’s a very curious comment, coming from you.

Wozzy discussing Brady: “It’s a TEAM game!!”

Wozzy discussing Jones: “The offense had mostly to do with one player, not having a QB”

LOL!! That’s a very curious comment, coming from you.

Wozzy discussing Jones: “The offense had mostly to do with one player, not having a QB”
My comment is only “curious” when you copy/paste what I wrote and completely remove what I said about the offensive line being injured.

It’s a team game when discussing any and every player in history.

Not having a kicker can lose you games, but you think my saying not having a QB is unique somehow… as if I have ever said in my thirty years of talking New England sports online that a team can win with no QB.

My comment is only “curious” when you copy/paste what I wrote and completely remove what I said about the offensive line being injured.

It’s a team game when discussing any and every player in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes